Ship in trouble by Ab Hoving - FINISHED

While staying in hospital early this year as a result of open heart surgery and therefore confronted with the finitude of life, I got the idea to picture a ship that was apparently also at the end of its existence. Some weeks earlier I had started another pinas and I used the unfinished hull for just that purpose. But the only thing I could do was to give it a broken rig. It became soon clear to me that if you really want to build a broken hull, you will not get away with the same building technique used for healthy ships. You will have to take into account the wreckage right from the start. So in future, if time is given me, I might work out a wrecked ship with planks missing, showing frame parts and partly broken decks. This is not a completely new challenge for me, as I have always built my wooden models just like they were built in real life, but as we all know: paper is different.
In the mean time you might like the result of this first effort, of which we soon will present a Photoshop composition, showing the ship in its natural and fitting surrounding.

Pinas_wrak_0893_HRkopie.thumb.JPG.f700bfd5e04b56d2f97741ed5d8e170c.JPG

Pinas_wrak_0959_HRkopie.thumb.JPG.d00d693bbb7cbb6eee1f194d66896a15.JPG

Pinas_wrak_0966_HRkopie.JPG.d7791a7093d61677d9d96ed022ca595a.JPG

Pinas_wrak_0974_HRkopie.JPG.0f588a954727d781df40ce82d043bbc2.JPG

Pinas_wrak_0915_HRkopie.thumb.JPG.bea7a80cdb34518a7d9c4574129167a5.JPG

Also an impression of my latest 'smalschip', sort of a preview for my soon to come new book: 

Happy New Year,

Ab

Ab,

Hopefully you are feeling better!

Nicely done on the wrecked ship!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I'm glad the surgery went well, Ab.   Your wreck is an interesting concept and the model shows it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Strange. We see so many posts about damaged models and on repairing them instead of taking a perfectly good model and wrecking it deliberately!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Ab,

Can't wait to see your photoshopped final! kool.

I was going to place my latest into a diorama depicting a shipwreck on a jagged outcropping, the result of being at the mercy of a storm that drove her into the rocks: dismasted, sails in the water, ships's boat dashed in pieces, sailors scrambling to grab onto some flotsam... but I changed my mind when I had completed Grecian's hull. I just couldn't do it with this model. The topsail schooner's lines were too beautiful to sacrifice her to the sirens.

Perhaps some other model that's less attractive since I still would like to attempt this portrayal in one of my dioramas.GrecianComplete02.thumb.jpg.95322fe56e3ba2fa955b933d8ab52c97.jpg

On The rocks? Not!

Edited by hollowneck
added text

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thanks for the comments folks!

@GrandpaPhil and @mtaylor: Thank you for your kind concern. I am happy to be modeling still, though not at half the speed I was used to. Hard to unlearn....

@druxey: I must admit it did hurt to ruin a reasonable ship model, but I really wanted to see if it worked. We will see the proof of the pudding once Emiel is finished Photoshopping.

@hollowneck: I know how it feels Ron, and looking at your Grecian I am glad you kept it in one piece. Beautiful!

@bdgiantman2: Pity. I would have liked seeing others doing this doubtful work.

Ab,

Glad you are feeling better.  Looking forward to the Photoshop composition.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

I'm glad the operation went well and you're feeling better again.
A wrecked ship. This will be an interesting project.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

That's better.

I'm glad a handful of the crew were able to climb into a ship's boat! You and Emiel have crafted another superb father/son composition.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

1 hour ago, Ab Hoving said:

someone missed the crew:

Unknown.thumb.jpeg.49e3343911d261dc052d905ea667c21f.jpeg

Hello Ab. I am very glad that you are now healthy and creating again!:imNotWorthy: I'm thinking of putting your picture on my wall...🏆 Ondras

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

Ab,

Beautiful pictures, so realistic. Emiel does an excellent job with Photoshop.

Do you have higher resolutions of all your pictures, especially the ones in your book of 17th Century Dutch Merchant ships?  I would be interested in the Fluit pictures.

Thanks,

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

The models in the Merchant book are made of plastic?

Did he build them using normal POB?

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 1/12/2024 at 1:14 AM, GrandpaPhil said:

The models in the Merchant book are made of plastic?

Did he build them using normal POB?

Yes GrandpaPhil, the models in the Merchant book are made by Herbert Tomesen (Artitec). He uses cast resin as a base for his models . As far as I know he first makes a solid wooden plug, of which he makes molds which he details with polystyrene. Thus he can cast several copies from one design for his scenery modeling work like https://artitec.nl/v-o-c/ .

The models in my next book 'Dutch 17th Century Shipmodels in Paper' are all in paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting subject, Ab. These Dutch vessels always grab my attention, I will be following with interest. 

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WOW!  I've never seen any ship model like this before.  This is absolutely fantastic!  I think this is a candidate for framing for the modeling room.  I hope you have recovered or are recovering from your heart surgery.  When and if I ever get a chance to build my dream model of the lumber schooner Wawona I'd like to do a photoshop similar to my profile icon.  Well done!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

I missed this thread the first time around, as well. I'm glad to hear of your successful surgical adventure. I thought of you the other day when Stad Amsterdam came into San Francisco. She'll be here in port for two or three weeks. I haven't gotten down to the dock to check her out. Maybe this week. 

Your latest model is wonderful and so's the photoshopped photography. What you accomplish working with cardstock is amazing. 

Stad_Amsterdam_46c.JPG

• The title was changed to Ship in trouble by Ab Hoving - FINISHED