HMS Sphynx by Alex M - Scale 1/48 - English 20 Gun Frigate as build 1775

Very nice Alex. I'm just catching up on your log. Great metal work. Fun to watch you progress.

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Is that a model or the real thing?  It is very realistic and very well executed craftsmanship Alex.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alex,

I just read through this post from start to finish and your work is some the nicest I've seen on MSW and until now, I thought I had read though all the great builds!!!I

Would it be possible for you to share how you made those fantastic checker board floor shown early in this topic. Thanks.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the build.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

• 1 month later...

Wow, just joined this build, what a fantastic job you are doing Alex, the Brodie stove is awesome, I will have to raise my standards drastically after reading your log this evening

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

here the next update. I have made the base for the stove from 0,3mm wood strips, cut in squares. The first image show the cutting jig. Second image show some the "Stones" with a pencil line I mark before cutting, it's serve as direction guide by gluing. The "stones" are glued to 1mm plywood base.

post-835-0-83953000-1442567070_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-34901100-1442567077_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-81069200-1442567084_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-32944300-1442567091_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-19063700-1442567098_thumb.jpg

To simulate the slate stone the plates are painted with diluted acrylic paint, then rubbed with pencil to give the surface "stone look"

post-835-0-54959200-1442567108_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-20449800-1442567119_thumb.jpg

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Nice stonework, Alex. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you guys for warm words! Druxey, you read my mind... I will fill the gaps with paint because it is too deep now, and I will make the "cement" a bit darker, as it is a bit too white.

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Hello and thanks for warm words!

it's done now. I have fastened the stove on the deck. The cement is a bit darker now and looks better for me. The work on beams and knees go on further.

post-835-0-35041500-1443004028_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-38792500-1443004033_thumb.jpg

Alex

Banner_AKHS.png

Hello and thanks for warm words!

it's done now. I have fastened the stove on the deck. The cement is a bit darker now and looks better for me. The work on beams and knees go on further.

attachicon.gifDSC03532.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC03533.jpg

Alex

lovely work Alex !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I can't add any more than what's already been said.  Great work, Alex.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello, and many thanks you for comments and warm words!

wyzwyk, how is your Camilla going? Any news?

Alex

Banner_AKHS.png

Alex, thanks for the inquiry.  After a fair amount of deliberation I decided to build HMS Camilla as a  solid hull  and not a POB model as I had posted earlier.  The reason there have't been any posts is that I wanted to get back to the point where I was at before the accident happened and then start up the build log again.  I didn't want to post the same old stuff until there was new material.  Sadly, I have not worked on the project much lately due to some nagging health problems and some family issues.  Hopefully I'll be back to it soon full force.

Tom

Edited by wyzwyk