a masterpiece of model art from keellaying onward on this Forum

Thanks for sharing

well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

The open door idea is great. Your attention to detail is wild....looks like you could just walk on in. Thanks for the pictures.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We haven't heard anything from Alex in several months. I hope everything is all right.

If you peruse Chuck Passaro's site, Syren Model Co., you'll discover that you can buy a set of Alex's plans for this model, which I did, in 1:64. I was hoping to use Alex's log as a mini practicum and certainly an inspiration for my own improvement.

Incidentally, Alex's plans are first rate, and Chuck puts them out on good, heavy paper.

Tom

Hello Tom,

I have some contact to Alex (every now and then) and I believe I do not pass any secrets when I tell you that he has been very busy in the past few months in helping the website of the German 'Arbeitskreis historischer Schifbau e.V' (Where we both, and not only the two of us, are members) in doing a major technical refresh. I guess that, as soon as that is in calmer waters, he will have more time again for his model and this building report.

Yours,

Herbert

BTW: I also bought his Plans in 1:64... :-)

Edited by hwe

Herbert,

Thanks for the information. I see that some of the earlier photos have dates on them going back to 2006. So it's not a fast build, which suits me just fine. But I'm already developing some questions about the bulkheads. I can probably figure it out; it's just easier to ask.

Tom

Tom,

I too bought a set of 1/64 plans from Chuck P (syrenshipmodelcompany.com). They are worth every penny! I'm planning on these plans being my early Winter start-up project. I also have been in-touch with Alex, but not for several weeks.

I plan to build the POB “Camilla” (named sister ship to Sphinx) and a considerably more interesting history than all the other as-built ships of her size. The research I've been doing on this specific ship for the past couple months is fascinating (her service logs, the captains, numerous actions/campaigns - how about more than 45 known "prizes/captures" and a service life of nearly 55 years); her action history is especially meaningful for a Connecticut Yankee.

I do plan to do a full hull plank but leave partial quarter & f'ocsle deck reveals on some beams/framing ala' Alex's approach here. I also plan to fully rig her. Alex's photos will be very helpful; however, I wouldn't anticipate that he'll be able to offer much timely guidance on a detailed build question - at least, I'm not anticipating that kind of interaction. His English is better than my German (but not by much!). And he's got other fish in the fryer-like many of us.

Alex's plans are superb (8 large “D-size” engineering drawings including full masting/rigging), the best I have seen thus far in this hobby, period. They are complete, precise, and detailed in extremis; one could build a fully-framed model if one wished - including all the below-deck gubbins.. It's POB for me -per Alex's own personal build nicely detailed in this thread. 

For reference, the Sphinx plans (in both 1/48 and 1/64 scales) are the equal to fellow MSW master builders Ed Tosti's (Naiad), D. Antscherl's (Swan) and A. Yedlinski's (Euryalus) in my opinion and considerably better than any Hahn or Corrothers plans I've also had opportunity to study. The NMM in London also has a reasonable number of extant prints available on several of the Sphinx Class ships built in this small frigate, post-ship category.

I will NOT likely do a Build Log here for Camilla, but I may change my mind as I get into the project. Worst case I will post "progress pics" as I tackle this beautiful, small but effective 18th-C Royal Navy workhorse "enforcer." Even at 1/64 (I did consider 1/48), fully-rigged she is going to be quite large and there are only so many spots left...I'm certain many here will know the problem exactly!

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

BOO-HOOO

Ron.....You really must do a log.....dont be shy,  it would be a real treat to follow.  I know how inspired you have been and how much help MSW has been for your own model building progression....why not pay it forward?

Chuck

Hi Alex, I am so happy to discover your magnificent build and be able to add another true "MASTER CRAFTSMAN" to my growing list of incredible artists I can learn from and be inspired by. Looking forward to all future updates on this amazing project. Add me to your list of fans.

I can hardly wait for Chuck to introduce his Winnie to the market so I can tackle that beauty. Will strive to get my work to somewhere near your quality by that time.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Ron,

Thank God! I will certainly let Alex off the hook, and latch onto you! First question: where we're you able to find all the information for Camilla? I would really like to model the Ariel in which John Paul Jones had his last sea battle. I sent off an email to NMM weeks ago, but no answer. I suspect that they discovered that my ancestors fought in the Revolution, and they're still mad at us.

Dave, I'm giving this to my son; he has much more room than I do. The other models are out in the garage!

Tom

Tom....know the feeling.....running out of space here as well. Mrs. SawdustDave running short on patience and the bargaining process can get very expensive.

Dave,

I'm sharin' your pain brother - particularly the "expensive" part!!!! ;)

Chuck,

You are correct to say that I've gotten a lot from my comrades here - inspirational as well as perspirational :D. I'll decide on whether or not to post a Build Log later this Fall, likely post-NRG Conf. I'm leaning toward doing it - and besides, I hate it when those pins get stuck in that voodoo doll effigy of me!  :P

For the record: my Build Log would be for the 1:64 HMS Camilla, configured late 1780's as a 26-gun; fully-rigged, with partial upper deck reveals and probably coppered.

Thanks for the support, Chuck.

Ron

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

NMM can be painful (and expensive). My wife ordered a large print of the HMS Ardent for me last year as an XMAS gift (kool Admiral, huh guys!). It came in-time, but barely. She ordered it in September; it arrived Dec. 23. Things can go a little slow from The Jolly Land. You and I must remember that we live in an area of the country called "New England." When I talk to friends there, I sometimes jokingly ask: "how are things in Old England?" haha.

For research (question re: HMS Camilla), I'm always amazed at what's available on Wikipedia.org. Like any thorough web research one follows all the available links. One does hit dead ends, but Wiki links are pretty good since there is usually extensive citations from other secondary research sources. Try it. Also, Rif Winfield's books are a good source for basic info on English warships. If it floated and had guns, Winfield's books has info on it!

I will ask my colleague if he can email me his "cheat sheet" backgrounder on Ariel since we recently compared notes on our two future builds; he's already done his homework on Ariel's history.

Ron

Ron

Hello guys,

many many thank you all for warm words abuot my plans! I'm still alive, but was very bussy last vew months with our web page and forum, as Herbert mentioned.

I hope I can answer your questions about modeling different parts.

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

a small update, not as much as I have hoped. Very bussy last time... so the images here:

post-835-0-51926500-1407155033_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-11115400-1407155089_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-58049000-1407155073_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-94262400-1407155113_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-14293500-1407155124_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-73363000-1407155138_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-88368500-1407155155_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-17235000-1407155163_thumb.jpg

post-835-0-09144800-1407155168_thumb.jpg

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Extemporary work as usual Alex; a joy to see.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)