Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

it's not too hard Patrick.......I'll find a good  'pause' area sooner or later.  I put in another order for parts.   had trouble with stanchions...out of stock.   perhaps I can pick back up with one of the other builds.   thanks for the good word  :)

thanks Greg.......welcome to the asylum   :wacko:  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Windows look very promising Popeye Dennis, like to see them in with a light inside and lit.  We'll all sing Psalms then ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Gracious!  Step out for a week or so and miss a total revision to the concept!  Looks nice, Denis.  As noted by others, the whole world is watching and waiting anxiously to see what becomes of the that temptingly open and flat surface.......

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

it's not too hard Patrick.......I'll find a good 'pause' area sooner or later. I put in another order for parts. had trouble with stanchions...out of stock. perhaps I can pick back up with one of the other builds. thanks for the good word :)

thanks Greg.......welcome to the asylum :wacko:;)

Denis VS pause ... It is not you my friend. You just can not stand in place peacefull. To me, it seems a time for new build is to come soon ;)

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks all for the kind comments and the likes......work time slows the progress as well as the mind.   now that I'm past the mayhem,  I'm hoping to settle in, putting all this together.     then I gotta see how to best clean up the main deck......the over spray is bugg'in me.

no worries Nenad!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

gee........now where the heck have I been the last couple of days........I dunno......it's all a blurrrrrrrr!   I'm working on two plastic kits on my desk.....planking the Tree Boat,  and the Jingle Belle.   cramming this all together,  because Thursday on to next Tuesday,  it's gonna be a bit sketchy for model building........but I'll try and get something done Thursday and Friday.

anyway........life goes on for the Jingle Belle.   I figured it was just as good a time as any,  to get the windows in place.  the stern window is now cemented in place.

post-612-0-30151200-1456278158_thumb.jpg

....and so are the two front windows........

post-612-0-70891600-1456278192_thumb.jpg

....and so is the port side badge window......{poor picture}

post-612-0-27714100-1456278245_thumb.jpg

....and so are the two cabin doors.

post-612-0-90349100-1456278309_thumb.jpg

but.......still one set of windows eludes me......the starboard side.   they are cemented together and waiting for the colorization.  before that can happen though,  the exterior needs to be finished off.

post-612-0-48961800-1456278494_thumb.jpg

hard to notice in this picture,  but I saw a couple holes in the material.  they were quickly patched up by dabbing and spreading some white glue over them.   the joints were filed out and covered with the quarter round molding.   they broke on me too.....not serious,  but still they had to be fixed and left aside for a short time.

post-612-0-22019400-1456278715_thumb.jpg

once these dried,  I could sand them and flush everything out.  then they got some touch up paint.  THEN.......the color

post-612-0-55587600-1456278779_thumb.jpg

now to wait till they dry somewhat.......and then they can be cemented in place.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

here is the last window....... in place.....finally!

post-612-0-01803600-1456279063_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-24999800-1456279077_thumb.jpg

forgetting I took a picture of the front already......I took this one...........different lighting.

post-612-0-01429200-1456279182_thumb.jpg

time to get the cap rails on the upper deck.   they are all cut at an angle,  for a nice squared corner.

post-612-0-49112000-1456279263_thumb.jpg

the little section of port side rail needed to be trimmed to fit properly.  to fill in the corner joints a Testor's glue nozzle was fitted into the tube of wood filler.   the neck is cut down just enough for a tight fit...the filler is thinned down to a consistency that it will extrude.   great for small cracks.

post-612-0-04334000-1456279950_thumb.jpg

the sections were trimmed and fitted.....cemented in place.  the joints are filled.   I made sure that the two small rails didn't go over the edge of the opening..........making way for the stairs

post-612-0-37939000-1456280074_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-00052000-1456280091_thumb.jpg

when dry,  they were touched up,  blending them in.   we went to the local Hobby Lobby today.......I got the right thinner,  so I could paint one of the plastic builds I'm working on.   the same trouble I had with the Jingle Belle....happened there too  {I was also using Billing's paint......jury's still out on the cause.....it does rule out the primer though,  'cuz I didn't use any}.   while we were there,  I managed to pick up another pack of those lights.   here it is with two of them in there.

post-612-0-18151500-1456280434_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-30295300-1456280448_thumb.jpg

kinda bittersweet.......the stained glass look isn't there as much as I would have liked.  oh well.......ya win some,  ya lose some.  >shrug<

post-612-0-07237000-1456280541_thumb.jpg

yea.......it's a bit cluttered.   I got the Syborn draped to the left there,  got the Half Moon on the main table.......got the two orders of parts that I haven't put away yet {some are for both of these builds}......got the Tree Boat laying there,  and my desk is an absolute war zone!   it's a wonder the admiral isn't giving me the hairy eye.  the hardest part is keeping the paint bottles separated.......trying to keep the paints I'm using together with the builds.   I persevere though......I refuse to let anyone threaten me with a good time  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks George.........if you liked that update.......you'll love this one  :D  :D  :D  thank you      >thanks Gerty!<

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice!!!  :dancetl6:

I refuse to let anyone threaten me with a good time

Your Admiral's the only one you need to worry about Dennis!  :o  When the "look" is administered, it's time to run and hide!  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

G'day Denis

What a session you had! Simply incredible from 5he marvelous stained glass windows to the cap rails and everything in between.

Just a thought though, I've been going through YouTube and I've found a very interesting idea regarding CA glues.

When you use CA or in Australia it's called Supaglue, and if you sprinkle baking soda over the CA then clap the pieces together and then sprinkle baking soda in the join, the join became super hard and the gap can be wiped off and then sanded to get a very smooth join. This will only work if the object is going to be painted.

Happymodelling

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Spectacular Popeye Dennis, simply spectacular. 

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Denis

I reckon we're all our own worst enemies.  As far as I can see, those stained glass windows look bloody marvellous (with or without the light).  

Also, you definitely do have your work cut out for you, with all of those builds on the go.  But, you're having fun, which is the most important thing.

All the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Great work Denis - the windows and lighting looks great -  looks like a comfortable spot to watch the Sox while on the water on a warm summer night  :)

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

gee.....a huge thanks to you all......and to those who hit the like button.   one more little thing to do...and I can move on to something else......like the pilot hou......errrrr....helm.   I got another thing to do on the hull....mustering up the courage to do it.....   planking still in the works on the Tree Boat.

she got it from her mother George.......and she learned it quite well.   she's pretty lenient about my tables......and that's a good thing ;)

thanks Greg........I do something similar with white glue too.   after filling a small crack with white glue,  I let it set just a little,  and then I sand the snot out of it.   does well in hiding joints and stuff.

thanks John,  Piet,  and  Wayne!    still more to come  ;)

note to self:  put dish on upper deck        thanks Gerty  :)

as Nenad would say Patrick.......it's the spice of life.   I wonder how it would if I used a white light,  as opposed to the yellow lights?  perhaps I'll find out,  since I thought it was doubtful that I would get any lighting on this boat.   wonders never cease.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

started working on the stairway to the upper deck.   it begins as two pieces of 1/32 flat stock....the upper threshold is drawn out.

post-612-0-00446700-1456490598_thumb.jpg

and with the rest of the sides drawn out.....

post-612-0-97642500-1456490766_thumb.jpg

this is when I realized that making two starboard sides wasn't going to end well..........so I changed one of them to be the port side.   the tread lines are drawn in

post-612-0-97469300-1456491090_thumb.jpg

for the frame work I'm using 1/16 strip stock to outline the drawings.   this is the last of the crappy,  that I got in one of my kits........you wouldn't believe how bad the wood was.   rough cut,   not exact to size.......I'll be picky what I use,  but following the lines,  I can make allowances here and there.

post-612-0-32359700-1456491675_thumb.jpg

going further,  the tread frames were added

post-612-0-12627800-1456491746_thumb.jpg

.......and then the excess was cut off.   I was going to use the scroll saw,  but I ended doing it by hand with a razor  {my trusty case cutter}

post-612-0-03469300-1456491868_thumb.jpg

once sanded and cleaned up a bit,   a dry fit was done  to see how they fit the upper deck and the main deck.

post-612-0-65964800-1456492062_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick and Jack.   I had a few ideas about them........if I had enough brass rod,   I could have simply made the frames,  and made up some  'canvas'  sides to cover them.    the treads were what made me go with this.   here,  I could make the tread frames,  and add the treads later.   since this will be cemented to the upper deck,  making it removable as well,  the top will lock into the bulwarks {I could have negated planking them}.   I could also leave it as a separate piece.......putting it in place after the upper deck is back in place.   the bottom flat is done this way,  merely to make it sit better,  when in place.

now to figure out how to best assemble it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice stairs. I wonder what will be upstairs. Maybe a bar? In my younger years I went to a bar called Stairs on saturdays. Lots of hard urned money spend there.

And orchestra from Titanic, until they got their own ship!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

G'day Denis

beautiful staircase. ...It's like a "A stairway to heaven ". I'm dieing to know what's you have plan?

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Nice set of stairs there Dennis and yes, the canvas sides would have been lovely too.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

thanks everyone for the kind comments....and for those who hit the like button

I may try and make a set Piet.......I like the canvas idea too.   this style seem to be easier for the model though.  ;)

I think everyone remembers the M&M boat  :D  :D     I enjoyed that build.......it was fun thinking up all that stuff :)     I'm still pondering over a few things and finish the ladder {stairs}......then I can see what will be next.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Lawrence  :)    this was the easiest of my other two thoughts.....an escalator and  an elevator  :D  thanks for the good word.

I wish I had taken a few more pictures........but I was fumbling around at the table.......and I came up with this.  I gave it an upper and lower landing.  I really should have painted it before I assembled it,  but as I mentioned,  it went together very quickly.

post-612-0-22055600-1457031961_thumb.jpg

the two pieces of wood at the tops are just there to keep it square until it dries totally.   I did this Tuesday evening.    I did frame out the bottom of the upper and lower landings,  seeing that the grain of the wood goes side to side  {very easy to crush it....I already broke one of them earlier on}.  I didn't bother to put the 'kicks' in....just the treads.  a couple of the treads are slightly off.......to mess with it will mean making another one.  so I won't bother.  once completely done,  it will never be noticed.

post-612-0-34496800-1457032308_thumb.jpg

the dry fit showed that I need to make a small adjustment to the opening,  and I may need to add a threshold to the opening at the upper deck.   I'm leaning toward making this a separate piece.......once the lights are put on and the deck is put back on,  it will be made so it can be slid into place.  now that it's fleshed out,  I have a few ideas for it's enhancement.

post-612-0-60230600-1457032725_thumb.jpg

I also have an update on the Tree Boat.   I've done a good portion of the planking.   I had to redo one side of the bow though........I forgot that the keel needs to be sanded down a bit.   I had it riding all the way up the keel,  instead of tapering it at the bulkhead line.   the keel is uneven and has a few chiggers in it.  I'll set up the belt sander and work the keel so the bow end has a nicer curve to it,  and keel line is evened out..

post-612-0-73067300-1457033124_thumb.jpg

don't ask me what's up with the planking.......I dunno.  it's Obechi,  I can tell ya that much.   I got it in a bundle of wood,  in a kit I received,  from a friend that could no longer continue his build.   I got new wood for it,  and hatched out a twisted idea for it,  in waiting for it to arrive.   but.......this is another story :ph34r:   anyway........after fixing the bow,  I can now plank the rest of the hull,  without fear of any more trouble.

post-612-0-47072700-1457033553_thumb.jpg

I know it odd that it sits on my trash can like that..........I figure that if it gets too messed up,  it doesn't have far to go  :D  :D        bad joke...........right!  gotcha~!  ;)     nawwwwww......little chance of that.......I haven't tossed one yet  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: