Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

Go for the easy life Denise and comply with the boss, she'll think your being really good when your really using stealth.

Regarding the deck platform, I see a Harpoon Gun situated up there, still makes the mind boggle.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

G'Day Denis

Hope that your loving partner and your son will soon be ok. Look after them mate, they're your family and it might be hard to believe, model come second after your family!

Hope things will soon be normal and you can get back to your models. Eany, Meany, Minor or Moe.

Havagooday mate

Greg 

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I'm hoping that everyone at your place is getting better.  I guess the flu is still running rampant around your area?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Flu is so boooooring thing

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks for the well wishes........we are very much on the mend.   I did manage to do a little more sanding,  but that's about it.......darned unsettled weather!

I heard we're going to get a snow storm over the weekend........I think they're full of it........but the weather here has been a bit off.  hardly any snow all winter long.

so,  things are getting back to normal

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have been meaning to do a progress report on the four boats of experiment #2.    this came on the heels of experiment #1,  which was a big success.   the admiral won big on that one........she got her M&M Fun Ship,  and I got my trawler {which is still in the works}.   it still has a way to go,  but is the closest of all my projects toward being finished

....and to think........the whole concept of experiment #2 was an expansion of the initial thoughts I had,  when I was building the hull frame of the Boulogne Etaples.   this particular hull design is common for many versions of short range fishing vessels,  not much fuel capacity, but big on payload.   long range vessels are much larger and longer,  having the fuel capacity to reach fishing areas further out,  and able to stay out for longer periods of time.  I could have based all three on fishing vessels,  but I came up with an even bigger picture....Christmas.   the concepts were simple,  but it didn't take long for the subject to blossom the way it has.  it's all I can do to keep the scope narrow......new ideas are coming up all the time.

it began 5-13-2013.......and by 12-13-2013,  I had these........

post-612-0-14261100-1458919040_thumb.jpg

by 11-6-2014........the four hulls looked like this.........

post-612-0-49377100-1458919216.jpg

post-612-0-73352300-1458919235.jpg

{left to right}

The Boulogne Etaples...the mother ship

The Tree Boat...............this one needs a name......still need to finish planking the hull

The Andrea Gail............was to be the Skater's boat "the Silver Blade",  but logic took over and I nixed it.  it fell victim to my initial thoughts.

The Jungle Belle...........this one is the Caroler's boat...I find this one very hard to keep the 'fishing boat aura' about it

3-25-2016

quite a bit of time has passed,  since I showed them all together.  I was hoping I had more to show.......but it wouldn't matter when I take the pictures.......the progress of the moment is just that.......progress.  so,  here they are as of 'today'

post-612-0-33225100-1458920478_thumb.jpg

they're in the same order.......

The boulogne Etaples..................no progress.......just in the sub assembly dept.

The Tree Boat..............................it still doesn't have a name......but the hull is planked,  and a fore deck has been added

The Andrea Gail..........................done and off the table

The jingle Belle............................a lot of work has been done,  in regards to paint and upper deck

now....I shouldn't show these........while I call them 'experiment #3',   they actually are no more than an expansion of a popular Billing's kit.   Billing Boats sells all three,  but they are at different scales....these will all be at 1:65.   I tend to think of them now,  as an 'expos'e of sails'......all three, even though the hulls are similar,  sport a different configuration of sails,  which should prove to be quite interesting.   at the moment,  they are in the closet,  waiting for the day when I clear up some of my back log.   there is a story.......but it can wait till they begin their real journey.   I shouldn't show them,  because of the history........there's no time like the present,  I suppose.   this went on from 12/14 to 12/15.

post-612-0-96408100-1458922664_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-95012100-1458922686_thumb.jpg

enjoy   ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

You've got lots of fun times sitting there, Denis.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Denis

Well done on these great 'state of the fleet' photos. The photos of Experiment 3 are especially interesting and it's nice to see them front and centre.

So, if my maths is correct, that's 7 out of the 9 hulls you've got underway. The other two missing ones are Syborn and Titanic. Amazing capacity you have for hard work, that's for sure.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Just fabulous!...how you keep everything straight with so many builds, I have no idea, but love following along as the story unfolds!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

George and Patrick says it all.

I wonder have you got any more that no one knows about?

Havefunmemattie!

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

I'm extremely surprised by the amount of work you produce when I see all those builds in their various stages ... What's the next thing peeping out of a box, closet, garage, storrage, which we haven't seen jet ...?

Cheers

P.s. A ships name ... Popeye's Surprise ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Denis

Well done on these great 'state of the fleet' photos. The photos of Experiment 3 are especially interesting and it's nice to see them front and centre.

So, if my maths is correct, that's 7 out of the 9 hulls you've got underway. The other two missing ones are Syborn and Titanic. Amazing capacity you have for hard work, that's for sure.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

I think there's a USS United States, a Half-Moon and a Gothenburg in there also....  I didn't get scorecard so I may be missing some myself.   :D  :D  :D

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

thanks all and those who hit the like button........Mark filled in the gaps  :)    the three frames are not in the works just yet.   the original hull sat in the closet for a while,  before I started to examine it further.   I'll tell you the story when I finally can bring them out.  for now though......it's the mad dash to get some of these builds finished.    I think it's neat that they take up the whole table........I was setting them out,  and the admiral was asking what I was doing  ;) 

more on them soon...........:)  thanks again.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Stuart...I wish I did.........I might have more that one of them finished  :D  :D  I'm glad you like them  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis I'm bloody sure you have a sawmill just turning wood out for you, I've counted eight seeing as how the AG is completed ( or is she ).

How about "Big Red" as in the Giant Redwood as a name for your tree boat.

It's nice to see your shipyard is busy as an awful lot are shutting down, you must lay awake at night working out your next moves, it's fascinating.

And your work is exemplary.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

thanks Mobbsie  :)   I wish the wood supply was that easy..........I still buy it,  like most folks.   although I did try my hand at a Birch bark canoe.....got a good supply of bark from a tree out where I walk Gibbs.   it's not much......just a half frame covered with the bark.....I still need to make the ribs for it.  I did it about a year or so ago........stored away in the template box.

at the moment,  the tree boat is somewhat slathered in a light coat of filler........waiting for a nice day,  to bring her out to the garage.   silly me,  I thinned out the filler too much.   it won't hurt it......it's water based  :)   so,  I'll need to adjust the consistency.   as soon as I can get the hull squared away,  I can start bringing her up to speed with the Jingle Belle.

your suggestion has been put in the hat........;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Denis,

The Bark Canoe sounds interesting, would this be to the original design of the Native Indians or a more contemporary design. It would be nice to see the finished item all painted up with your nearest tribal artwork.

I wouldn't mind doing one but it would look silly with the bells and ribbons on from the local Morris Dancers. :D  :D

I look forward to seeing her progress mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

I can't speak, just grunt and gargle because my jaw is on the floor.   Nice going Denis.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

never really gave it a thought.......I guess you could call it Indian...it's doesn't look like fiberglass with print on it  :D  :D     if I gt around to it,  I'll snap a photo or two and post them here  ;)   can't even spell the tribes we had around here at the time  ;)

thanks Piet.......your like way too kind  :)    still a bit raw........soon as I get some rub rails and paint on her,  she'll look more the part.   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't know Mobbsie........perhaps I should have used the red primer   :D   :D

it was a good day yesterday......it was supposed to rain,  but it held off for the day time hours.   it decided to rain when I went to work though.......made for a soggy evening at the airport :(     oh well..........it could have been snow  >shrug<

I didn't get too much done......but I did get a second coat of filler on the Tree Boat.   it was sanded and given another coat of white primer.   taking a quick look at the hull,  I'd say it's somewhere around 90 % ready.......maybe just a little more fiddling,  and it should be ready for rub and cap rails.

post-612-0-91119200-1459602644_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-63321100-1459602661_thumb.jpg

the white under the light......such a terrible sight!  I swear........to stare.........is such a blinding glare!  perhaps if I used the primer red,   there wouldn't be so much glare,  if I used it instead.  ;)

post-612-0-59879300-1459602831_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-20945200-1459602843_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-48230200-1459602862_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I don't know about that Lawrence.......you've been turning out some beautiful ships as well.   your a tough act to follow!  ;)   thanks for the good word and thanks to all who hit the like button  :)

I'll continue with the Tree Boat for a spell.......but I'm kinda concerned.   I was browsing through images for winches for the Syborn,  and I saw a couple of trawl rigs that might look good on this hull.   I want to give it a working subject,  as well as it's holiday subject.......but I run the risk of leaning more towards the fishing end of the concept.   I will have to try really hard to balance the two  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm in deep do do right now.......you ought to see my desk.   there is sawdust from one end to the other......sandpaper and tools......strewn about.  the word was handed down from above {yes.......she was towering over me......"you WILL clean this mess!"    lord Vader has nothing on that stare  *gulp!*

I just watched the latest Star wars movie......if you haven't seen it.......you must!  :)

I spent the morning playing with a plastic aircraft model......a Fokker D VII in 1:28 scale.  it's not totally accurate, but it builds into a very nice plane.   from there,  I went on websites to catch up with folks here and in other places.  this is where it gets dicey.........right in the middle of a post,  I began rubbing the tree Boat with fine sandpaper.  the more I rubbed,  the more I fell.........the plane model ended up in the living room :ph34r:    I worked out a few of the minor imperfections........the heck with it, I'll work the rest out by the time I paint.   I got out some 1/8 x 1/8 square stock and went to work on the rub rails.   first I did the initial rub rail on both sides.

post-612-0-98998100-1460083175_thumb.jpg

cutting bits of square stock,  the starboard side looks like this.......

post-612-0-56477300-1460083265_thumb.jpg

the stern has a single rail across 

post-612-0-24622800-1460083314_thumb.jpg

it connects the two sides together and is rounded.

post-612-0-23527300-1460083369_thumb.jpg

across the fore deck, a cap beam was installed.... 3/16 x 3/16 square stock was used for it.

post-612-0-63514600-1460083478_thumb.jpg

the main deck has a huge joint down the middle......yea,  I got plans for that  ;)    of course,  and like clockwork,  an errand popped up out of the woodwork.   I had to leave it for a while.  when we got back,  I began on the port side....cutting all the little pieces and laying down the upper part......  crap!  another errand :(  ......laid it back down and took off again.  we got back and ate supper.  I picked it back up like I didn't miss a beat........laid the bottom and started to sand the crap out of it.   all of the bottoms are rounded to a blunt point.......first with coarse grit to bring them down quick,  followed with fine to smooth them out.   took care of a couple of other slight imperfections along the way.  only the upper verticals on the bow are rounded blunt,  as the bottoms.

post-612-0-54396600-1460084142_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32958400-1460084157_thumb.jpg

the bow has a nicer look to it.......they stop at the stem and are rounded to meet it

post-612-0-77501800-1460084257_thumb.jpg

the top verticals towards the stern are left straight,  so they will meet the cap rails.......the top edge of the bulwarks are sanded down to meet them,  as well as the inner posts.   I have plans for the inside.......nothing drastic,, I assure you.

post-612-0-85504300-1460084412_thumb.jpg

....and the bow,  with both upper and lower verticals rounded blunt.

post-612-0-66652800-1460084461_thumb.jpg

I wanted to give it a coat of red primer........something a bit different......and to kill the white, to make her a little more photogenic,  but it's getting late.   I'll do it tomorrow.  I'll do some more tonight.   Gibbs tried to get me into the living room.......I laughed.   "where the heck were you when I was watching the Star Wars movie?"   he trotted off to the living room by himself.........I may give in later.......depending on how late I work on the Tree Boat  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking great, Denis.  I think the red will look good.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Howdy Popeye, seems as though you are a man after my own heart. Three builds at once is just about the max, any more than that and YES the butterfly nets will be flying... :dancetl6:

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Hi Popeye

I am having a hard time to keep up with you with so very many builds at the same time. How do you ever keep track of them all when one build sure keeps me fully involved. Great work and skill you show us that seams to come so easy for you with so very many ideas at the same time. They all look super to me, keep up the great work,                                                                                              ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

I'm with you Lawrence! Bloody hard to know what's coming next. All I know it's going to be great!

Havagooday all

Greg

thanks Mark Keith and Greg.......also to those who hit the like button.   white primer is good.......it will keep any color that the hull will be, bright as it will affect that pigment in the paint.   I have a color in mind,  but I'm curious to see what hue it will become,  using a darker primer.   not only that, but the red primer will also work as the bottom paint.   I worked on her a bit more last night......I put a border strip around the top of the inner bulwarks.   it will reinforce the bulwarks and give a better surface to cement the cap rails to.

post-612-0-16279800-1460122029_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-28659200-1460122041_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97548800-1460122053_thumb.jpg

I have a thought about the fore deck........and the helm room.   I want the helm room aft,  but with what I want to do,  it can't happen.   I didn't make the fore deck large enough to accept it.....but in writing this,  I thought of something that would be a good solution.   one problem though.......the more I think,  the more that the tree boat concept takes a back seat.   I have also given this some thought as well.........I do have a back up solution,  but I don't want to cause confusion.  it would be sad to think that this type of hull,  was a bad idea to base this concept on.

thanks for your likes and comments,  I really appreciate it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

this week wasn't my week at the table......I've been busy doing other things.   when I was at the table,  a lot of idea juggling went on.......railings and fenders.   I had these two parts from the Mary Ann kit.......don't know why they were in there,  they were like extra parts.  so,  I put 'em aside and kept them.   I was going to do full fender / bulwarks for the fore deck,  but in trying these out on the model,  I kinda liked them.

post-612-0-75322700-1460680148_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-04670100-1460680163_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-08801400-1460680177_thumb.jpg

I wanted to get the primer paint done on her,  but it's still a bit chilly for paint.   I decided to go a bit further with the fore deck in the meantime.   I have 11 of the 23 mm two hole stanchions left.......all the other ones I have are the 15 mm.   I was going to go with the 23 mm,  and then slope it down to the 15 mm single hole,  terminating the second rung by bending it and end it at the deck line.   I ended up staying with the 23 mm.......spaced out,  I was able to do five stanchions on each side.

post-612-0-92370000-1460680671_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-32357300-1460680687_thumb.jpg

the next day was a little bit warmer by the afternoon........so I went for it with the primer.   I still need to touch up the areas under the 'overhangs'  but it will be getting another coat,  I'm sure.   you'll see some blotches on the hull......it's either that the primer tried to turn 'white' {due to temperature and relative humidity},  or they are merely areas where I did the sanding and I had taken off all the white primer.  I didn't use any lighting to take these pictures...they might be a little blurry.    the primer is still rather fresh too.

post-612-0-44886700-1460681069_thumb.jpg

you can see the areas where the primer missed.

post-612-0-34056500-1460681082_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-15188200-1460681146_thumb.jpg

I did the railings too.........I may paint them white later.

post-612-0-84561500-1460681323_thumb.jpg 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I took a few more pictures with the light on.......looks a lot better.

post-612-0-46212200-1460681520_thumb.jpg

don't fret,   with the hull hanging.......the hull won't fall  ;)   as mentioned,  another coat of primer and those blotches will be gone.   I may even keep this color for the bottom paint.   I may have to  'cut'  around all the rail work when I give it the color coat........lots of  'blind sides'.  pay no attention to the computer screen  :D  :D

post-612-0-74492900-1460681880_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to warm up to the railing color......but I'm finding it hard.   they are already cemented together,  but not to the fore deck...I can remove them.

post-612-0-15058300-1460682049_thumb.jpg

with what I plan to do with the deck,  I think the scheme will look pretty neat.

post-612-0-40820600-1460682108_thumb.jpg

the transom came out pretty good.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: