Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

thanks Bob........I'd love to put a canopy over it,  but I don't want to go back to the impression of height.   I'm going to have to think of something else.  I do have an idea in mind,  but the admiral started shaking her head when I told her.  I can't describe what she did next.......you'd have to see it in person......and then perhaps not,  from rolling on the floor.   she is a great sounding board though.........she has a good sense of what is too crazy.   only problem is....my sense is farther out there  ;)     she ends up lov'in it anyway  :)

it's like the spaghetti thing.........throw it on the wall.......if it sticks,  it's good!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yup, that's the way I cook spaghetti.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I only asked about stability Denis, I never expected you to change the roof. :o

It does look better though. ;)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

You know, Mobbsie, the only break Popeye has is his admiral ... so you need to be carefull what you jot down for him ... although, it's so great when one triggers his imagination and creativity ... surprise after surprise ... so please don't stop ;)

Popeye,

I would go for a garden gate-ish thing instead of the planking job ... makes it ligher - for the eye too ....the flat top does look more like it belongs ... love the development

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I visualize a large circle on the deck.. and helicopter landing...  I'm also nuts.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I visualize a large circle on the deck.. and helicopter landing...  I'm also nuts.

Nah ! I envision a large BBQ in one corner, nice circular fire pit (properly lined of course), nice circular seating around the pit...........  Big cooler of adult beverages :D :D :D :D

Mobbsie and Carl :    don't feel bad......if that's what your doing.   we're adults here........I saw the key words and acted accordingly.   yes,  I could have done a stanchioned bulwark,  but we're out of stock at the moment....made do with what I have.   even I,  thought the roof was a bit over the top  {there's that pun again}.   this brings the proportions back to normal.   we're all constructive folks here......and I have a thick skin.   I think we're a good fit  ;)

sure Mark........I'll download a target emblem right away.......put 'er right in the middle  :D  :D  the admiral would really like that  ;)    tried to run a dance floor by her ........she shot that down too   :(

I like your idea Jack  :)   we'll see what happens.......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I love it Popeye, keep fantasizing and we'll wait for the results and applaud, how's that?

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm beginning to like this  'days off'  thing...........I should do this more often  ;)   I have another update for you all to see.  I was working on both ends of the build.......the boat,  and it's newly made deck.   as I mentioned earlier,  I was shingling up the front wall.   I had already laid down the base row of shingles......so I began to go up the wall.......but in a very strange way.........upside down!

post-612-0-56988400-1455675391_thumb.jpg

I got this far last night and this morning.......the darn things sticking up slows down the process.  when this was dry,  I went further.

post-612-0-44888100-1455675461_thumb.jpg

........and even further than that......

post-612-0-84644900-1455675499_thumb.jpg

what I meant by upside down........that was how I had to work.   it was better to have the boat in this position....

post-612-0-63025100-1455675561_thumb.jpg

almost done here........

post-612-0-04320300-1455675595_thumb.jpg

until finally........I was done!   I even gave it a coat of flat clear lacquer.   it seemed to make a difference.

post-612-0-05131700-1455675663_thumb.jpg

I wanted to dec - up the upper deck,  so I bordered in all the side fields.......just like I did with the cabin structure

post-612-0-60904900-1455675823_thumb.jpg

in between doing that,  I clear lacquered the other three outer walls of the cabin structure.  {flat clear lacquer}

post-612-0-35784100-1455675898_thumb.jpg

now,  with those other two jobs drying,  I decided to paint the cap rails around the bulwarks......on the boat.

post-612-0-68138100-1455676034_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-12152100-1455676054_thumb.jpg

I had a boo boo with the front window divider on the pilot house {damn....there's that word again....I said I wouldn't use it},  that needed to be fixed.   I'll be glad when I can get to this structure  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I finally made it to the front bulwark of the upper deck..........bordered it off,  except where the stair well is to be

post-612-0-44111400-1455676365_thumb.jpg

more sanding......squaring it off....making sure everything was flush.  then I could fit it in place on the cabin structure,  to see how it all looked.

post-612-0-94803300-1455676458_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97796300-1455676477_thumb.jpg

I never show the starboard side.......

post-612-0-75134100-1455676545_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60932200-1455676558_thumb.jpg

from here,  the upper deck went down into the cellar...........primer coat time!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Watching all this come together is cool stuff Dennis, but like everyone else, I'm wondering what the final function for that upper platform will be. :)  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

G'day Denis

I'm so glad that you scrapped the pitched roof. I was wrong and I admitted it, first time for everything. Lol.

Brilliant work mate and the lacquer sure does bring out the colour in the shingles.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Nice work Popeye!   Almost time for the hot tub?   heh

thanks all for looking in and commenting.........also to all who hit the like button  :)

thanks George.......it could be for anything......except for a heli-pad......don't think the beams could handle it  ;)

no sweat Greg........nothing to admit or apologize for......we're all having fun here.   being crazy is a lost art........just getting too hard to work at it  ;)   {that's me}

funny you mentioned that Bug.......I was looking for scale figures last night.   found some that were taking a bath!  :D    now.......wouldn't that be rich!!!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

coming up soon John  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

A bit of bittersweet coming up from the cellar..........I ran out of primer  :(   but I decanted some  :)  I made sure the outer surfaces got it first.

post-612-0-63841400-1455759434_thumb.jpg

...but the inner surfaces.........not so much.....

post-612-0-39886800-1455759464_thumb.jpg

After waiting a while for the primer to cure a bit.......I began with the painting.   I decided on a two tone effect.  the stern bulwark was painted green.

post-612-0-33498800-1455759569_thumb.jpg

....as with the front wall {s}

post-612-0-92768000-1455759599_thumb.jpg

{here's where it gets a little dicey.......the sides are to be painted red.   darned if that primer ripple didn't come back to bother me.

post-612-0-01064300-1455759681_thumb.jpg

{camera having a 'pink' moment}   what I did to cure it was to wait till it dried.....lightly sand it,  and give it another coat.   I did the same for the other side.   this was good.......the inside bulwarks and parts of the deck was painted with the primer that I had decanted.   so now it looks like this.

post-612-0-75253500-1455759851_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-65850400-1455759972_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-43309700-1455759986_thumb.jpg

I'm going to need to something creative here,  but I cut all of the cap rail pieces.  the bad part is I didn't have any planking that was wide enough.   I have some half round strips......I'll border the cap with it,  if I have to  ;)

post-612-0-84459700-1455760159_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice work on the shingles and great idea on the two-tone for the roof bulwarks.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day  Denis 

Look good mate, the paint work is top notch! 

Something  about the  red and green  rings a bell to me, let me see,...... oh yes! Mario Bros! Now, wasn't there a large  fish called Bubba in the game? Mmmm...... Are you planning to do a scene  from that famous Nintendo 64 game when Bubba eats Mario? Lol

Looking  for your next post mate, keep up the great work. And I'll will keep on guessing what you are planning.  ;)  :P  :D

Havagooday 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thanks Piet,  Greg,  and all who hit the like button.   I sat back yesterday and surveyed how far I've gone with this boat.   I checked with my Word Press Blog site....I was only at #36........I'm at #53 now,  with a couple more to add.

post-612-0-24957700-1455805320.jpg

I had just started the experiment with the windows and created the doors. To look at her now.......kind of make me feel bad about the Tree boat......which kicked off my concept for the project in the first place.    this boat was a by product of the subject......the main subject sits under the table on a shelf.   I even had a thought to get the  Boulogne Etaples up to snuff,  and show a progress picture,  as I did a while ago.   so far,  the only result from this project has been the Andrea Gail.....I can only guess which one will be next to reach the finish line.  perhaps I can bring the Tree Boat up for a spell.  ;)

I'm not sure Greg.....I was never the Mario / Megaman / sonic fan........hand me a roll player,  me with a sword or a bow,  and I'm in heaven.   although looking at my e-mail address,  it has a reference to Megaman's big boss enemies.....any of them having  'gutz' in their names  ;)  :D   the admiral and the boys played those games......thus the reason why they don't participate in the mediums.  I was more reserved......there was a time for play.......and a time for play  ;)

I just pulled the Tree boat out from under the table.........I really got a job on my hands.......the planking used was that polished basswood.....the edges are a bit rounded and everything.   ....a lot of hull prep

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

What to do on the roof?  Tables and chairs? You did that.  A dance floor?  you did that too.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Now why would the horses in the first picture be saddled?   It's not like anyone's going ride one across the lake... I think... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

flat bottom boats and barges........as for the last one Carl.....the only thing that comes to mind,  is pillars  :)    the first one is interesting......;)  nice planking!

thanks Carl  :)

oh......I guess I can't do that Bob.........I guess all that's left now is a fitness gym......;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

great!  that's all I need......... Richard Simmons running around  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

not a whole lot to report .....although,  I think I found out what's bugg'in my airbrush.   I'm using the wrong thinner.

I mentioned that I pulled the Three Boat out from under the desk.....

post-612-0-61618100-1455915565_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60635500-1455915713_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-10959500-1455915726_thumb.jpg

hard to remember when I was back this far.   I'll work on her in the background as I do more to the Jingle belle.  I put a coat of paint on the cap rails.

post-612-0-95669500-1455915825_thumb.jpg

.....and here they are.......the newly gussied up windows.

post-612-0-80113400-1455915871_thumb.jpg

I was going to use a brush on them.......but that would have taken forever.    so I opted for something bigger......Q-tips!

four puddles on a paper plate..........four Q-tips to apply them.........and this is what they look like.   the starboard side window still needed to be assembled,  so I did that too.

post-612-0-64418100-1455916076_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-52601300-1455916087_thumb.jpg

when dry,  I'll pop 'em out and finish them off........then I can gussie them up too..    this is going to be a slow planking job....

post-612-0-72832400-1455916497_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: