Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

Hi Denis

I love the ladder that you've built. Visually, it really adds to the overall appearance of the ship and leads tantalisingly to the flat roof....the purpose of which is for....

Nice planking work on the Tree Boat's hull. She's coming together beautifully. I also didn't realise these hulls were that big until I saw the last photo of the hull on the rubbish bin.

Nice!

Cheers

Patrick

Impressive work, Denis.  The ladder by itself is a miniature work of art.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Like the ladder Popeye Dennis.  What, working three boats -and at the same time?  You're something else my friend.  I have enough trouble keeping tabs on one build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks all for the good word and the likes.   I'm glad that the the two treads that are slightly off don't show......just goes to show how slight they are off.  the poor condition of the 1/16 square stock....I'm kinda surprised that it looks this good.   after seeing how rough cut they were,  it a surprise that I didn't chuck 'em......but they'll be good for structural stuff,  so I kept them.  hopefully I can use them up and be done with them......I bought some basswood strip stock for the external stuff  ;)     I have a few things in the works at the moment........more scratch building  ;)

thanks Patrick........the hull is about 22 inches long.   the girth of these girls make them larger than what they appear.   I think that when I get the hull finished,  perhaps a bit further,  I'll do a group picture........the three hulls and the mother ship,  the Boulogne.   I think it would be interesting to see the stages they are at the moment.  the last time I did it was in 2014.........I think {I'll have to look}  ;)

thanks Mark........when done...it will be more so........... :ph34r:

thanks Piet........I can't think of a better way to catch up on these builds.   the admiral was ribbing me the other day........I have kits in the closet that I haven't started {the idea of having a stash is new to her.......I've never had one before}.   she got me the Sergal Thermopylae for Christmas 2015,  and I still have the Guillow's Fokker Dr I from Christmas 2014 {I have a couple of plastic ship kits in there too}.  the admiral doesn't know...I mentioned it,  but she won't remember.......I have plans for the Thermopylae.  think of it as  'Pandora's box'  ;)   icky may   :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Ron.........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I thoroughly enjoy your enthusiasm and all the builds.  You are running a fun shipyard and a pleasure to visit.  Keep up the good works and banter :) :)

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

thanks Piet........I'll take that as a  'pardon'  for my crazy ways  ;)    I do though,  look forward to the day when I'm all caught up.   I never knew how addictive the wood medium could be.  I guess it's a good thing that I enjoy it as much as I do.......or I would have  'ran' from my own madness  :)   I really appreciate you saying so.........it's comments like this that make me proud to be a part of this site,  among such wonderful folks,  like yourself.

thank you!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I focused most of my attention to the Tree Boat hull today.   I'm using narrower planking,  so it's taking a bit longer than planned.  I had done more to her,  from the last pictures I showed.........I got her planked up to this point.

post-612-0-57542800-1457484507_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-21039900-1457484521_thumb.jpg

the port side is my trouble side........I think my bow trouble was that side as well.   planking continued first thing this morning. I got to the point of closing her up.

post-612-0-95843900-1457484711_thumb.jpg

fitting the last bits of planking.....the job was done.

post-612-0-63906000-1457484764_thumb.jpg

we are finally warming up around here.......I was able to take stock in the garage and set up a sanding table.   I did some sanding as I went along.......now the real sanding can take place.   I can let the sawdust fly!

post-612-0-69356100-1457485016_thumb.jpg

the first thing I did though,  was clean up the keel.   the height was also knocked down.......something I probably should have done with the other two {a bit too late now}.

post-612-0-72095300-1457485274_thumb.jpg

the bow was refined,  giving it a good edge

post-612-0-68326100-1457485362_thumb.jpg

there is a low spot just after the bow section........I'm thinking a bad cut for that particular bulkhead.   this frame was the one made with the 1/4 plywood........not only was it hard to fare and sand,  but it was the one that I expected mistakes to occur.   I will have to build both side up with filler........

I use a drywall sander to do the major sanding.   the one bad aspect to this tool,  is that it has a soft rubber cushion between the sandpaper and the tool.   wood is not uniform.......it has hard spots and soft spots.   sanding in long strokes along the hull {with this sander},  allows the hard spots to rise above the soft spots,  creating valleys in the hull.........it comes out all wavy.

post-612-0-72991400-1457486197_thumb.jpg

you might see a little here.........it's really noticeable around the scuppers,  where I repaired them.   the best thing to do at this time,  would be to sand it a bit more.....concentrating on the high spots,  getting a coat of primer on the hull,  and then go over it with a solid sanding block  {I have a couple}.  then I can see where I need to do corrections.   the filler work is coming up anyway,  I can do some then.

post-612-0-73241000-1457486532_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-93235100-1457486546_thumb.jpg

I'm already looking at what I did to the bow...and not liking it.  I have something else in mind

necromancy 101................>in progress<    :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That's a mighty fine looking hull Popeye Dennis.  The low spots will fill in, not to worry.  Uh oh, bow work??

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I'm with Piet on everything here... including the "uh-oh"... :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the kind comments and the likes.   I'm going to go with an aft pilot house for this one........I covered the front section of the bow over,  but I think it could be something better.   the demo has begun........I should have something a bit later  :)     stay tuned  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

after the completion of the sanding,  came what I had of the filler.   it covered the first wave,  but there was to be a second wave.   I got another two tubes.   I did the second wave of sanding,  and reapplied again to imperfection that were missed.

when dry.......by the time I got around to supper  {brought the grill out of mothballs},  I sanded as I cooked.   felt like old times.   when done.......and supper too........I gave it a quick primer.   still more to go.

post-612-0-27407500-1457560141_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-70910400-1457560154_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-88641400-1457560166_thumb.jpg

you can see where I had covered over the bow.......I was going to put the pilot house at the bow.   I don't want to do that now........I think a self standing structure might be just the ticket.   I haven't built anything yet for this,  but for the idea I have, it will mean tearing out the bow cover I put on.

post-612-0-83413700-1457560542_thumb.jpg

more to follow.............

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

That's one nice and shapely hull you've got there. Imperfections? What imperfections? Can't see anything from the photos.....

I now also understand what the bow work entails and, yes, I reckon an aft mounted pilot house would set this boat off from the other two rather nicely.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hull looks very nice from Palm Coast, Florida Popeye Dennis - but you are closer to it and will do whatever it takes to make it look perfect.  Cover the bow then uncover the bow, now I am curious to see what you're coming up with.  Whatever it is it'll be just great.  We do like surprises :)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

where do I begin..........this project was to be well under way by now,  but the way thing panned out,  it has had a very rocky start.   I had thought of the concept during the build of the M&M fun ship,  and my idea was to build three ships.......one of them was to see if there was a market for such a thing.   during all this time,  I've come up with a few more ideas,   so I am going to do them with different ideas......three different concepts,  and see which one works best.   as the title implies,  they will have a holiday theme.....being careful not to offend anyone.   it is my hope that everyone enjoys the construction and creative aspects.

we turn the dial of the way-back machine back to December of 2012........I was planning on starting it then.   I had cut the keel parts for two of them,  and the ribs for the first one.  my plan was to begin at this point.  the hulls of these boats will be modeled,  based on the Billing's kit Boulogne Etaples.  the hull parts were traced from the parts panels........sadly,  the panels did not survive the tracing of the rest of the parts.   I had begun to assemble the first keel.

attachicon.gif#1.JPG

attachicon.gif#2.JPG

I had made up the stern parts for all three,  but did not use them all.   to save money on wood,  I purchased a 4' x 4' square 3/16 oak plywood panel,  later to be stripped out and used for the rest of the parts.   I ended up making another stern part for the third keel,  so it would be of the same thickness.

attachicon.gif#3.JPG

attachicon.gif#4.JPG

attachicon.gif#5.JPG

the project stopped for a while.........until May of this year.   I assembled the keel for the second ship,  but not much else.

attachicon.gif#1.JPG

it was not long after this picture was taken,  that the plywood was purchased.........and stripped out a bit later than that.   a couple of weeks ago,  the admiral asked me about them,  suggesting that I should get busy on them,  if I want them for the holidays.   of course,  I laughed........and told her that they would not be done this year,  perhaps next season would be more realistic.  the panels were traced out last week......and the parts were cut out this past Tuesday.   at this point,  two of the hull frames are assembled,  and the third is on the slip.   I should have an update on this build soon.

and.......what's life without a few chiggers in it.   things have been rather hectic around the house lately.......we are about to make a move to the third floor of our apartment house........purely a financial move.  so I may be a bit silent here and there,  until these hulls are planked,  and we can get past the crazy stuff.   I can clear my mind of all these ideas......but the most important thing,  to finally get this project of the ground and on the move :)    I had such a good time with the M&M build,  that I really wanted to get into another one.   it was so easy to come up with this concept......and the directions that these ships can take,  is endless.   for the moment,  the directions will not be brought into it......the construction of the hulls will come first..........but I will mention that the deck layouts will be different to suit their subjects.   this is big.........an armada of holiday vessels.......I hope you enjoy what is to come.

Looks great, I'm going to have to learn how to make a hull frame someday...:)

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

what about a big chair structure for fishing at the front the type used for spotting things in the distance

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks to you all.......I appreciate your fine comments  :)    thanks as well for the likes.    I'm bouncing around builds for the moment......unloading some of the ideas I've come up with.....seeing what sticks.  I have more to show you  :)

hi Keith......there are ways to create hull frames.   I'm not that good with CAD,  so I use this method........so far it's been kinda neat.  all I do is save the parts panels from the kits I build,  trace out the hull parts,  and them modify them to what I need.  of course,  it's better to stay within certain guidelines.....type of boat and hull construction.........it make it easier ;)

interesting idea Kevin.......since this boat and the Jingle Belle have a dual commercial purpose to them.   first things first though..........

to the demo!..................................................................... 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

OK...........got the tools together......      first order of business....rip off the bow cover.   that met with slight damage.....tore a small piece out of the port side........but it was fitted back in place.   it's not a big concern.......I have to fix the area anyway.

the cavity where I was going to put in a full width helm room,  also need to be taken out.   the bulwark post were cut down, so extensions can be installed.   

post-612-0-66481800-1457714908_thumb.jpg

the toe board was removed......this also means that the short section of flooring will also have to go.

post-612-0-70703200-1457714966_thumb.jpg

the added strip along the deck will also be removed,  to make way for the new bulkhead wall.   the leveling of the new deck will be around 55 mms.   the extensions that are above the existing bulwarks,  is 30 mms.   before these were cemented in place,  the bow profile had to be traced out.   I cemented two pieces of 1/8 flat together to do this.

post-612-0-62757800-1457715346_thumb.jpg

now that I have the profile........the extensions were cemented in place

post-612-0-51227400-1457715425_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ah, what will he do next? 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

when the extension posts were dry,   they were shimmed and a deck beam was laid across the span.   this is the beginning of the new bulkhead wall frame.   the wall part was cut out of 1/16 flat stock and fitted in place.   the deck platform was also cut out on the scroll saw.  here is a dry fit of what will be the basis....a fore deck.

post-612-0-13548700-1457715771_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-43553900-1457715782_thumb.jpg

the filling in of the gaps is next.    my earlier idea was to plank the sides in and trim them afterwards.   but,  I though of all the extra work involved,  and shot it down.  I had some pieces of 1/32 flat stock lying around.......I couldn't think of a better way to use it up,  than as backing tabs for whatever I decided to fill it in with.   the bulkhead box can also be seen here.

post-612-0-75756000-1457716051_thumb.jpg

I chose the 1/32 for it's flexibility..........using the grain in my favor,  it can be bent to the curve of the bow,  without causing any stress to the hull walls.   the trick here is not to have the hull walls widen out of control........the shape is important.  if there is to be any flaring........the fenders will do it.   errrrrr........if I decide to install them mind you.........  ;)    I decided to simply cut the fillers out of 1/16 flat stock.   the grain will run lengthwise.....I hope it's not too stiff.

post-612-0-94997600-1457716866_thumb.jpg

the other side needs to be fitted with the 1/32 scrap wood.   when the piece is cut out,  I will mimic another piece to match it.    more to come  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Bob..........it's major fabrication,  with minimal effort  :D  :D   it's gonna change the looks of this 'ole girl!    hope to have more this afternoon........gotta run some errands first though.   thanks!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did go further.....dummy me forgot them in the camera.    when I got back,  pieces od scrap wood was cemented along the other side of the bow.

post-612-0-31762700-1457976028_thumb.jpg

after making the other extension piece,  they were cemented to the hull.

post-612-0-77709100-1457976161_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-21920300-1457976180_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-60023300-1457976198_thumb.jpg

again......that little bow jig I made,  was a big help.   the bulkhead wall  was cemented in place next.

post-612-0-07401900-1457976407_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-15460300-1457976422_thumb.jpg

a second deck beam was cemented in place as well.........I will put in one more.   

post-612-0-97073700-1457976575_thumb.jpg

a pair of extensions were made for the bow addition....they were added to the build

post-612-0-79965000-1457976714_thumb.jpg

trying the deck platform I already cut for it is too small.   that's what I get for measuring before the bow extensions were in place........it widened the hull.   I cut another one.......this time using 1/16 flat stock,  and cemented it in place.

post-612-0-10134600-1457976935_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-08389800-1457976948_thumb.jpg

now......to fill the voids and sand 'er smooth.....and correct the other little imperfections as well

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks George and Patrick....and all who hit the like button.   took the day off today....admiral and son are sick.   told her I was going to work.......but then she gave me a death threat..........I guess there was no argument there.

I did some sanding a cut the new deck platform for her.......cemented it on.   I did some more sanding later on........but it would be nice if I was out in the garage with her.    it's a bit unsettled 'round here......so I'm not going to be doing any painting........that is,  unless I go down in the cellar.   I've been having bad luck down there lately.   I'll be able to get the hull prepped though.....it's a step in the right direction.

thanks for looking in gents!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hope it's not serious, and they will be well soon ... You're quite right taking those admiral's threats serious ... you never know how the yard might be (pad)locked for work ... take your time ... 

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...