Holiday Harbor multi build By Popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale

Sweet, Denis.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark,  Greg,  and Patrick.......and all who hit the like button.   I figured the red would be a change of pace,  and save you all from being blinded by the white  :D   I'll see what else I can get on her  ;)   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

How to hell you get those clean and perfect plain surfaces ?

That surfaces become your signature

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

nice looking hull Denis,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Ed  :)

I'm not totally sure what you mean Nenad......if your referring to the deck surfaces....I sand them as I go along.   I'm sure lots of folks do the same thing.  as an assembly is being put together,  it can look kinda messy.......guess it's become a nervous twitch I've got....clean as I go along.  the decks better be flat and smooth.......for what I plan to do to them  ;)   thanks for the good word.

thanks Nils :)   i'm kinda regretting doing the fore deck......it limits where the helm room can be.   I can't put it at the stern......it would require being raised to a second level.......a two floor structure.   I'm having to base this one,  as I did the Andrea Gail......but I'm going to do it a bit differently.   I have the first level roughed out........camera's been on the charger,  but I'll get a few of what it looks like.   I hope your feeling better and can resume your wonderful build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

the original boat,  the boulogne Etaples,  is a French fishing boat......it's a stern trawler.   I started out with three hulls.......one has already gone off the grid to become the Andrea Gail.   I do have an idea to give this one sort of a fishing boat look,  but the more I lean that way,  the more it will lose the subject I want it to be.   the reason why I chose this particular vessel,  is the wide deck and the space it affords.  if you look back in the log,  I showed pictures of a tree boat.

that boat looks more like a lobster boat.........I throw a hull together fairly quickly....I still have the templates for the hull parts.

now,  wouldn't that put a huge twist in the story!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

when you see the next update.......you can get a sense of the direction this hull is going.  one more work day.......and I should be able to put the helm portion of the update together  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well....I'm not REALLY going to make you wait....just until my work week is done.   actually,  I did a little of this Saturday evening,  when I got home.   >thanks Greg<  :)      I'm still thinking of how I want to shape the helm room.   since I didn't give the hull much of fore deck,  I'm going to make some extra space for it to sit on.   off the bulkhead,  I made the main deck structure.   once I had it assembled........I had to slap myself,  because I didn't factor in the added section of decking {roof}.

post-612-0-18680100-1461027176_thumb.jpg

after making the adjustments to the height,  it was set in place on the deck.  later,  I drew a center line on the aft wall.   I wasn't off too badly the way I had positioned it.

post-612-0-76977900-1461027191_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-48079200-1461027208_thumb.jpg

the section of deck/roof was added to the structure,  giving it rounded corners and 1/8 overhang on both sides.....3/16 for the aft over hang.

post-612-0-17240300-1461028234_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-03853600-1461028252_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61657900-1461028266_thumb.jpg

I also added a border along both sides of the fore deck,  to complete where the fenders left off.   I'm going to sand them down a little bit more .....they are 1/16....I am out of 1/32 square stock.

post-612-0-45442500-1461028673_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-62697800-1461028687_thumb.jpg

I did a little bit with a paint brush........touching up the areas that were missed by the primer.  the structure was painted primer red,  as well as the border pieces

post-612-0-80864900-1461028851_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-30162800-1461028869_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27430100-1461028888_thumb.jpg

so now that the work week is over,  I can work on the helm room  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John.........and to Mark and George for the likes  :)    we've had a couple of really nice warm days........I might even get some color on this 'ole girl!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nice Denis! It looks like it's all coming together now. Have you got a plan for the rest of the deck?

Better question is : How many plans do you have in your head ?  :D  :D  :D

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

It's not the nr of plans he has in his head already, Nenad. it's that plus the nr of plans he can come up with ...!

Looking good Dennis. You could make interior stairs to go to the cabin from the deck!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

thanks Patrick,  Nenad,  and Carl ....and all who hit the like button.   I have been out all morning running errands......now I'm back  :)  I do have an idea for the deck,  but I want to keep the work boat appeal.   I also have a backup plan...and this is something I've never tried.   I think it will look neat  ;)   I still have to make the helm room.......sorry to say I was lazy yesterday.   I get something going

I could do interior stairs....but I don't think they'd be seen once the roof is on the helm room.   I'll do some external stairs and add to the detail  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

howdy and welcome to the site!   I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself........lots of really fine folk here  ;)   thanks for the likes.......I appreciate that folks like what I do.....even if it's a bit crazy and insane  :D  :D    but I enjoy it,  and that's what counts with this hobby.   you will have to be quick though......I tend to jump around from build to build,  doing things as I think of them....or a half baked idea comes to mind  ;)    thanks for the good word  :)

welcome aboard!  :cheers:

:722972270:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

speaking of an update........

I was racking my head,  trying to come up with a unique helm room for this boat.   I wanted to give it the same shape as the lower structure,  but in my head,  it just didn't look right.   so I went a little taller....2 3/4,  as opposed to the 2 1/4 I did with the lower structure,  and I traced out the windows.

post-612-0-44087500-1461458086_thumb.jpg

it was cemented together,  making sure it was square.

post-612-0-86027000-1461458128_thumb.jpg

then the front parts were cut and traced out for windows as well.

post-612-0-95017400-1461458173_thumb.jpg

seeing the way the grain was running,  I knew I was going to have problems........and I did.   the window frames broke a couple of times.....and I fixed them,  not wanting to waste the wood,  or make new parts.  it was even a bigger hassle trying to cement the front walls to the rest of the helm room.   but I did it.

post-612-0-21719100-1461458368_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-10802100-1461458386_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-58711000-1461458413_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-43405500-1461458438_thumb.jpg

positioned on the deck,  I ran a few thoughts through my head.   now that I have the structures assembled,  I can trace them out on the decks and set into motion,  the idea that's been bouncing around in my mind.   I really should get some cap rails on there too.   the inner bulwarks and the bottom paint is going to be the red primer.......the rest of the scheme is soon to follow.

post-612-0-84309100-1461458767_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-35081400-1461458781_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-95121700-1461458794_thumb.jpg

it will look better, once I smooth out the rough spots and get some paint on it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis, it looks like it belongs there.  Nice work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the kind comments and the likes.   I'm going to partition the back section off.......I'll put in some round portholes {I need to see how many I have left}.   there more to be added to the structures.......first,  to get them cemented together.     I will keep them removable for the time being.   

I thought of that as a funny answer Carl........you beat me to the punch  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking good so-far Denis, I'm still waiting to see a build with a Flying Bridge or an observation cabin on a mast, for spotting Tuna and the like.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

You should have been a navel architect.  She looks good.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray