HMS Montague 1779 bygaryshipwright - 74-gun Alfred-class

It's super to see you've returned and are back on Alfred, Gary.  I hope all is well now.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks druxey.   I did enjoy building the work bench and always wanted one. Seems the drawers took the longest to build which probably had some thing to do with them being dove tailed together. That was interesting for sure. Didn't come out to bad. if I didn't have the leigh dove tail jig probably would have just made  box joints.  If any one is interested in building one I added the cover of the magazine showing the bench.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Hi Michael. For me it just right. To hard on the eyes if it was any smaller.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Hi Mark. Every thing is ok at the moment  and seems am very happy to be back to work on her. Who knows maybe I just might get the upper deck built, that is if I get the outside planking done. ;o)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Gary 

20171018_195811.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Good to see you back in the shipyard, Gary.  Like everyone else, I have missed your presence on the site.  Nice job on the bench - a good diversionary project.   By the way, what is the model in the case?  I do not recall seeing that before.

Cheers,

Ed

Thanks Grant, Ed and Gaetan, its good to be back. Have missed you guys and seems a lot has  gone on since I have been gone.  Ed the ship that was in the back ground is the Bonhomme Richard, 1779. Built her in the nintys and was the one I built before starting on Montagu. Believe I finished her right around the time the misses had our daughter, which would make Richard  about 19teen years old. My how  time fly's when your having fun. Gaetan you are so right and building it got me back out in to the workshop and close to Montagu. Seems she kept calling my name, Gary build me and they will come. Thats my story and am sticking to it. Have added a photo of Richard here for you Ed. 

gary

20170802_212612.jpg

Hi hjx.  All of those books are good and contain certain information that helps in your shipbuilding. To me the library I have built up over the years has more then paid for it self and to me is really really important to researching and building them. I have added photos of those books which  should help. You do what to figure out which era you want to build from so your cost on books won't go through the roof. Happy reading Gary

20171214_073632.jpg

20171214_074250.jpg

18 hours ago, garyshipwright said:

Hi hjx.  All of those books are good and contain certain information that helps in your shipbuilding. To me the library I have built up over the years has more then paid for it self and to me is really really important to researching and building them. I have added photos of those books which  should help. You do what to figure out which era you want to build from so your cost on books won't go through the roof. Happy reading Gary

20171214_073632.jpg

20171214_074250.jpg

Thanks shipyard Gary!

I have two of them,The construction and fitting of the English man of war, 1650-1850  and The 74 gun ship bellona,The previous one is very professional, However, it is a little regrettable that there are few descriptions on keel splicing.

I checked out the introduction of these books, ordered 3 of them.

5a3388e2810eb_36020171215100947548.jpg.8f799455913d0d6e041468a60ac70fae.jpg

5a3388e3a4c2c_36020171215102154708.jpg.4fc590103b244ab755686b60f45b7dad.jpg

f96t5430p107949n2_aVZEzDbr.jpg.d37b8567f46f4b7ef159ca593ef43f63.jpg

And buy another one.

5a338929448c8_36020171215101555817.jpg.41f3b9d5417c98cd8177a7105becdd03.jpg

I have some questions about 74gun/64gun/90gun,I'll consult you after reading these books.

thanks!

Edited by hjx

Hi Gary,

your HMS Alfred looks wonderful, congrats to this nice build. Also your new work bench is lovely.....:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys. Here is another update, small one but one I have been working on. Some thing I did along with at least half of the channel wale done on the port side was to remove some of the planking above the main wale on the other strbd side along with taken her main guns off to add some more detail to them. Another thing is the eyebolts will be removed from the sides till the upper deck hanging knees are fitted. They have to be in place first then the eye bolts. Kind of late but Merry Christmas and a happy new year. 

gary

20180102_105759.jpg

20180102_105825_003.jpg

20180102_100232.jpg

20180102_100145.jpg

20180102_100207.jpg

20180102_100226.jpg

20180102_105847.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gray!

After a month's waiting, I received the first book.Building The Wooden Fighting Ship.It's easy to understand and very useful to me( used to develop the 18th Century British 3rd rate ship model from NMM original drawing.)

webwxgetmsgimg.thumb.jpg.49160f9f05ee5e69162cd87a14a29a4a.jpg

Can you recommend some more books on British 1st or 2nd rate ship in 18th Century?

Thanks so much for your helping.

HJX

Hi HJX. There seems to be a whole lot less on building 1st and 2nd rates compared to building 74s, but other then size I would think that they were put together much the same way. I do have a  couple of books, some center on the Victory, one writtern by a French spy and another one that coveres French 74 to 120 guns French warship's. One is done by Boudriot and the other by David Roberts produce by Boudriot. On a different not to the rest of the crew here, I messed up on  Montagu channel making it higher then it was post to be so had to rip all of the installed planking down to the main wale off and start over again. I was crying some big tears but one must do what one must do, so the delay may be just a little late in coming but am working on it.  Gary. 

20180114_174107.jpg

20180114_174112.jpg

20180114_174119.jpg

20180114_174125.jpg

20180114_174129.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Sorry to read about your re-do, Gary. Usually the channels rest against the outer planking, and are not inserted into a slot in them.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Gary, sorry to hear about the channel mix-up. I look forward to the updates, when undoubtably the planking will be even better than the previous because you have now had a practice run!

Mark

Thanks Mark. I didn't like it anyway and even if it had not been off, I would probably tore it off, and redid it, for a couple of other things. Things in Model ship building allways seem to  come out better when you do it 2 or three times. Of course when you look at some of the other outstanding models on site,  they do set a high bench to live up to. Speaking of one how is yours coming. ;o). Gary

Ouch!

Practice makes perfect is not much of comfort. Just keep focused and it will turn out even better than before as Mark says.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Gary, you are so right about doing things a couple of times to finally figure out what you are doing. Now if we had all had apprenticeships with a master model builder when we were young, we might have been able to avoid a few mistakes later in life, but not all...

Mark

Thanks Hakan.  Mark you hit the nail on the head, To many years with out some body to help us become even better ship builders. We do have some good teachers to help us these days. One just has to grab on to their shirt tail and just hang on. Gary

On 1/14/2018 at 7:39 PM, druxey said:

Sorry to read about your re-do, Gary. Usually the channels rest against the outer planking, and are not inserted into a slot in them.

Hi druxey. Sorry about that sir, I didn't mean the channels that hold the dead eyes but the channel wales them self. Seems that I didn't do a very good job of measuring were they fit along the side.  It did help me make up my mind about a couple of planks that wasn't kind to the eyes.  Gary

Edited by garyshipwright