US Brig Syren by Gahm - Model Shipways

I tried my luck with the steering wheel. As Chuck is now offering such a nice kit I could not resist. Image 1 shows the parts which come with the kit. The building instructions can be downloaded at Chuck’s SYREN Ship Model Company webpage. Following the instructions I cleaned and aligned the little wheel parts in the provided jig (image 2a). Then I deviated a little from the instructions. Instead of aligning and gluing the 3 circle parts on top of the little wheel pieces in the jig I first built me another jig (image 2b and 2c) which allowed me to assemble and glue together the 3 parts to one relatively precise, complete circle. Aligning this circle on the pieces in the wheel jig (i.e. 2 concentric circles on top of each other) was much easier for me than doing it with 3 separate circle parts. The result is shown in images 2d and 2e. Turning the wheel spokes was an act of patience. I chose a spoke pattern which seems to be pretty common and widely spread (image 3). In order to precisely align the spokes in the wheel I built me another circular jig covered with a sheet of paper (glued to the jig) and with a central hole.  For ease of handling I mounted this jig in a table 3-jaw-jug. The central jig hole allowed holding a drill piece with the same diameter as the hole provided in Chuck’s jig. So it was pretty easy to align the kit’s wheel jig upside down with the wheel assembly in place on my new jig and lightly glue the wheel assembly to the paper. After removing the (wheel) jig the wheel assembly was perfectly centered on my new jig. The wheel star center piece was also aligned on my jig using the drill (image 4). After this preparation it was fairly easy to glue the spokes in their place (image 4), adding the 2nd circle as well as the central circular cover as described before, and sand it down to the required thickness (image 5). The sheet of paper allowed for easy removal of the wheel from the jig (image 6) using an Exacto knife. All that remained to be done was mounting the wheel with the other side up on the jig using the drill to keep it in place and sand it down to the required thickness. The result is presented in image 7. 

Thomas

post-925-0-90897000-1471953465_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-63041500-1471953378.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-04934000-1471953379.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-59446900-1471953379.jpg

Image 4

post-925-0-05324000-1471953380.jpg

Image 5

post-925-0-56954100-1471953380.jpg

Image 6

post-925-0-09599300-1471953381.jpg

Image 7

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Very nicely done.   I hope you enjoyed the little mini-kit.   Its a rewarding project and you did a marvelous job with it.  :)

Chuck

That looks really good! I just looked at my kit supplied wheel the other day and just about got sick to my stomach. I guess I'll have to get the wheel kit too.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I wish I had taken metal shop in high school instead of plastics. Well done Hervie!

I must be the last person on this forum  to stumble onto your log but your model is outstanding! Your wood and metal skills are first rate and I very much enjoyed the hour I spent viewing your log.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thank you for all your generous comments and all the likes!

Chuck's wheel kit is well designed and a pleasure to work with. It leaves enough "modeling freedom" so you can give it your own mark, but as the major parts of the wheel are laser precut it ensures that the dimensions of the wheel turn out correctly - which is not an easy thing at that scale!

Thomas

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

I finished the steering wheel. The drum and the axis covers were turned out of pear wood which was specifically selected for its light color to match the boxwood of the wheel. The 2 frames are the original bass wood parts provided in the Syren kit. The whole assembly was stained repeatedly with Golden Oak wood stain (MinWax).

Thomas

post-925-0-48867300-1472694480_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-88323200-1472694093_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-31923600-1472694249_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-62250800-1472694250_thumb.jpg

post-925-0-09088500-1472694252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gahm

Thank you Dirk and B.E.! And thanks for all the likes!

B.E, yes, the Syren has an external tiller rope system. And you are right, there really is not a lot of room for this, especially in light of operating the cannons in a battle. But then it must have been a pretty uncomfortable place for the helmsman in a battle anyway  :)

Thomas

Thank you Dirk, B.E., and Frank for your comments, and thank you Frank for all those likes! If I am lucky the deck of my Syren model at some time will look as nice as Dirk's model, but the "soon" is clearly a bit on the optimistic side  ;)

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

This week I worked on the galley stack. It is built out of a 1/8” brass tube cut at a 50˚ angle, the 2 handles made out of 28 gauge black anodized wire, and the chimney foot, which together with a metal ring in the deck, through which the smoke pipe comes up from the kitchen range, prevents water from leaking through the deck to the kitchen (Charles Davis, “The Built-Up Ship Model”). With the exception of the deck ring all galley stack parts are shown in image 1b. Positioning the handles in the correct locations proofed to be a bit more challenging than I initially thought. After messing up my first attempt I used masking tape, marked the correct handle positions ¼ circumference to the left and right of a central mark and aligned the masking tape with the center of the brass tube of the chimney (image 1a). This led to satisfactory results. The finished galley stack is shown in images 2 – 4.  

Thomas

post-925-0-22761300-1473677753_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-29105900-1473677754_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-88155500-1473677755_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-31998800-1473677757_thumb.jpg

Image 4

Edited by Gahm

Nicely done, Thomas! One thing I'm not clear on is how you fabricated the chimney foot. If not too much trouble, could you detail that a bit more?

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Thank you, Dirk and Mike! And thanks for all the likes!

Mike, I turned the chimney foot on my (Taig) lathe out of a small piece of solid brass rod. After the practice I just recently had with the tiny steering wheel spokes this piece was relatively straight forward  :)

Thomas

• 4 weeks later...

After the galley stack the binnacle was the next deck furniture in line. I chose a simpler design than what Chuck shows on his Syren plans. It only consists of the basic binnacle elements: the usual box design with 2 compartments for the petroleum lamps on the left and right side and the compass in the middle. For indirect illumination of the compass the light chambers have little windows towards the compass. Sliding doors allow closing off the compass. 2 outside doors give access to the petroleum lamps. The ship’s bell is mounted on top of the binnacle.

Image 1 shows the construction of the binnacle box (using a combination of bass- and boxwood) and various components of the binnacle design such as the middle compartment walls with the windows, and the rail for the sliding doors out of boxwood. The windows were made using ‘Testors Clear Part Cement and Window Maker’. The compass (image 2) was built out of a piece of brass tube with the wall thickness turned down to scale proportions and a pear wood kernel turned to appropriate size so that it fit into the brass tube. I selected a compass rose image in the internet, used MS PowerPoint to scale it down to a suitable size, printed it with a Laser printer on white paper, and glued the printed picture on top of the wood kernel in the ‘compass’.  The whole design was finished off with a layer of high gloss clear lacquer to simulate the glass on top of the compass. The finished compass is seen in image 2c. The pixilation of the compass rose is only visible in the macro images shown in the build log; otherwise the overall effect is acceptable. In image 3 different assembly steps of the binnacle can be seen. In image 4 the front molding is mounted and one petroleum lamp is displayed on the binnacle (image 4a) and in its final place in the light compartment (images 4b – d). The kit-provided ship’s bell seemed a bit on the large side. So I made a bell out of brass more in line with Chuck’s plans (image 5). Images 6 and 7 show the assembled bell mounted on the binnacle and the side doors in place. At that scale some of the details look a bit ‘oversized’ in those macro images, but the overall effect of the binnacle in its final place on the Syren deck seems to be fine (images 8 – 10).

Thomas

post-925-0-55284400-1475636562_thumb.jpg

Image 1

post-925-0-51018700-1475636563_thumb.jpg

Image 2

post-925-0-92500300-1475636563_thumb.jpg

Image 3

post-925-0-38563100-1475636564_thumb.jpg

Image 4

post-925-0-90653300-1475636564_thumb.jpg

Image 5

post-925-0-06066600-1475636566_thumb.jpg

Image 6

post-925-0-31049500-1475636567_thumb.jpg

Image 7

post-925-0-69347100-1475636568_thumb.jpg

Image 8

post-925-0-68609000-1475636570_thumb.jpg

Image 9

post-925-0-46996500-1475636572_thumb.jpg

Image 10

Wow, that's some fine detail on the compass and lamp!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

beautiful work Thomas,

awsome deck fitting out, a wonderful model    :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Jesse, Dirk, Bob, Nils, thank you so much for your nice comments! As usual they are highly appreciated! And thanks for all the likes!

Thomas

impeccable work Thomas, as well as the photos and presentation.  I particularly appreciate your detailed descriptions and ingenuity in solving problems, which will help many of us when we reach the same point in our builds.  I love the compass!  Thanks for sharing.

Simply love what I see :-)

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html