HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan-class sloop based on TFFM

Lovely!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thanks for the likes and nice comments.

Upper deck framing is now completed.

Next steps will be the waterways, port stops, bulwark planking up to the next deck clamps and then the stern framing.

I also have to start thinking/designing how much of the upper deck will be planked and how much I will leave open so the framing and lower deck can be seen.

ben

ED6C46D8-8ECF-4A23-89CF-25DCFB86756C.thumb.jpeg.411e48d8de21b4e8072efc9d34e89b12.jpegAD7779FC-825A-4E20-8218-DDD4EFBEF925.thumb.jpeg.c76dccc8e27fbc64b5e0fb87432c11ef.jpegF8261DAB-E46A-4FC4-A2A8-F268EF2E31D8.thumb.jpeg.9e4afe4f5bfeb6789d064fbfc9eab3af.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all,

JJ - it’s a fine line with how much planking to add as I still have not decided if I’m going to rig the ship and how many cannons I want if any to display. Will need to make my mind up pretty soon after I finish the Bulwark though.

• 1 month later...

Started to plan out how I intend to plank the main deck, this is one of the layouts I’m considering if I decide to add cannons.

0E606DBA-1842-4268-AB40-685BE6704425.thumb.jpeg.4246014348c249f8ea8bc6e82c2382e8.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

I’m going to make several templates to show planking with no guns, guns on one side, guns on both sides and a hybrid of all to try and figure out what I want to artistically show on my model.

ACad makes this easier for me now that I have the general layout for my hull and deck shape/dimensions inputted to make several of these pretty easily.

13 hours ago, Trussben said:

try and figure out what I want to artistically show on my model.

When I began model ship building, I was covering all the decks with planking simply because there is planking on a deck.

Then I followed Harold Hahn representation, for the guns and in the middle.

Then only for the guns, not in the middle  and surely not when there is nothing that comes on the deck.

Today, I do as less as possible of planking, the downside: no guns, the good side, I can take a photo and see everything up to the keel.

10 minutes ago, dvm27 said:

Wow, Ben. Your deck paper pattern is an almost perfect fit to the as built model. Great work!

Hey Greg

It had better be as it evolved from the Deck framing plans that I created and you saw before while the deck was being built, with just a few tweaks needed.

• 5 months later...

Now I’m trying to figure out the layout for the stern, I see that I do need to do a bit of fairing to the outer counter Timbers to make them and the inner framing a little thinner.

8A891D76-6DDD-41FB-9976-49AC6FBBF05F.thumb.jpeg.a17b241ddd88da670370d2e7e6436a1c.jpeg