HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Very nice work Ben; clean, crisp joinery.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Port side planking and treenailing has been completed, those with good eyes will be able to spot all the mistakes but overall I’m happy with how it turned out close to my planking plan.

Now on with the Main topsail sheet bitts and then the Main jeer bitts.

ben

B0AD8CCB-5486-4EEB-8F8E-6D21FC52EDD7.jpeg

35443420-7A16-42B0-BC77-C789D37B87B5.jpeg

E24E4AE8-B2FC-4955-86B0-661E6CD1637A.jpeg

Really nice figurehead. You made a great progress in the last few month.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks AP,

I also started the topsail sheet bitts, I decided to try and carve the panels into the angled tops and it didn’t come out too bad, also I left tenons on the top to fit to the gallows when I make it.

ben

88043619-6E24-4B1E-BD67-25086FDE4C48.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Main topsail sheet bits with gallows completed, you can see the blocks there with their respective sheaves made out of ebony to simulate the lignum vitae that they would of been made from.

7059AF33-E927-46E7-B52F-D7CA38DA9E52.jpeg

Very nice Ben!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

A great touch using ebony for the sheaves, Ben.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I may have missed this in an earlier post but what changes did you have to make?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi Toni,

So I had to make changes to include:-

Dual fore/aft beam arms instead of the single fore one shown in TFFM as opposed to Pegasus's NMM plans

Larger fore hatch due to my mistake following TFFM instead of NMM deck plans, movement of all ledges etc.... because of this.

adjustments to all beam widths and knee positions to suit my hull inside shape

adjustments to shape of wing transom knees to suit my hull

ben

That is a tricky piece of woodworking!  Beautiful.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

• 2 weeks later...

Upper deck framing well underway, always a constant battle against cumulative error but that’s why I am constantly checking against my framing plan to minimize its affects, you can maybe just see the overlay that I print out on transparency film to help me do this.

ben

470EA7B3-61B0-4B2C-80AA-730A0924BBE2.jpeg

F6F5A3BB-E998-4623-A1D0-F307871737CD.jpeg

That framing looks really nice.  I am sorry if you said before but what are you using to cut all those mortise out with?  Are you getting those incredibly tight joints with a chisel/file/blade or are you one of the power people with a fancy mill?

Michael - Mainly just a couple of different size diamond files - nothing too special or secret - just a lot of time, If i screw up (which happens a lot) I have to remake a beam set which sucks but thats the way it is.

I will definitely use the transparency idea on my next model.

Toni

I did the same with my Swan class model, Ben. Looks like your Mylar pattern fit better than mine. Well done!

Tony, you can make little pin pricks through the Mylar to transfer marks. It's very accurate. I also made deep pin pricks at the fore end of the pattern as registration marks to relocate the pattern each time it was removed.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

1 hour ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Such a cool idea with the transparencies!

question from the ignorant- how do you make those transparencies? 

(PS started my "swan" today- wish me luck)

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Just make sure that the printout on the transparency is 100% without distortion! I used a marked stick laid along the centerline of the model to ensure that the beam spacing stayed on track.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

50 minutes ago, stuglo said:

question from the ignorant- how do you make those transparencies? 

(PS started my "swan" today- wish me luck)

We used to sell the plans on Mylar but now they are sold by  Sea Watch Books and are printed on paper. You could have the paper deck plan copied onto Mylar at a print shop but as Druxey noted make sure they match perfectly.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...