HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan-class sloop based on TFFM

Very nice Ben!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

3 hours ago, Seventynet said:

This is beautiful! I assume you used your mill for the lights? I’m interested in your next steps to finalize them (my own attempts frustrated me!).

thanks,

Ian 

CNC Router.

3 hours ago, Rustyj said:

Very nice Ben!

Thanks a lot Rusty!

Looking good, Ben. I see that you 'nailed' texturing the ground to those coves! You might want to make the central motifs cross 'over ' and 'under' for a bit more depth.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

16 minutes ago, druxey said:

Looking good, Ben. I see that you 'nailed' texturing the ground to those coves! You might want to make the central motifs cross 'over ' and 'under' for a bit more depth.

Funny you said that David, I was thinking that myself when I was looking at the draft yesterday!!

Thanks Chuck!

So the central coving carving had a little depth added to it as per Druxeys suggestion.

The Aft Lights have been fixed in place along with the Taffrail, then the inner counter Timbers were sanded down to match the taffrail curves and then the central portion of the capping rail was glued in place.

I made a slightly larger upper counter piece and need to finesse this into place now and decide it I want to paint it’s background black again ( when natural you can hardly see the lettering when more than a few feet away ).

Next job after this will be making up the quarter piece blanks.

C3113DC0-163A-4D74-B694-66E0F74F874E.thumb.jpeg.5b3c0e4d6f830fabbcdb7e3a1ab32f55.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

Wonderful work Ben. The slight modification to the carvings makes a huge difference. It's the little details that matter.

The carved letters are amazingly well executed. But they look out of place to me. Just a personal opinion but I prefer the flush painted letters, especially if you are painting the outer upper counter and lower counter motifs as suggested by the back cover of Volume II. Others will, I'm sure, favor the current version.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

13 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Wonderful work Ben. The slight modification to the carvings makes a huge difference. It's the little details that matter.

The carved letters are amazingly well executed. But they look out of place to me. Just a personal opinion but I prefer the flush painted letters, especially if you are painting the outer upper counter and lower counter motifs as suggested by the back cover of Volume II. Others will, I'm sure, favor the current version.

Thanks Greg,

I agree about the carved letters to a degree, I do not intend to paint the stern with the motifs ( done that on Winnie ), but I think with the simple black background and sanding the letters down a bit more flush in that process it will look like I envision it.

FWIW, I agree with David and Greg, Maybe your idea of lowering the profile of the letters would be enough.

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Well, as much as I respect some peoples views - I do respect my own taste and views as well - captains choice - so here is how my Pegasus will be going forward!

44407814-BAF5-4422-8100-DACD37F32B11.thumb.jpeg.8d077834db7495213b9fe68043f2730b.jpeg

Very nice work there Trussben. About the lettering, if I had had CNC-capabilities, what you did is exactly how I would have done it.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

beautiful

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Bit of a question here.

I am trying to reconcile the draft and TFFM regarding the main mast partners and the Main/Aft hatchway comings.

On my draft it shows the comings on the partner sides going over the top of the partner cross chocks as they go to the edges of the beams.

Would the comings have been cut around the partners so as to land some part of them on the beam?

59A1F581-35DE-4F1E-80C7-9634EFB8931B.thumb.jpeg.fe65f016cf9b89f8a0dd9099ebb158ed.jpeg

This is the same area from the Atalanta 1775 plan.  Although it is a little hard to see on this screenshot, the mast partners only extend halfway across the beams.  

image.png.b1f271e0bb90a5c073e03031c353b4b3.png

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi Toni. When you look at the other plan of Pegasus mast partners, the aft end goes all the way across the beam and the forward end goes what looks to me 95 percent across the forward beam. At least that's what I see. Maybe David or Greg will charm in and set me straight . I do have the deck plan of the Fly and was going to add a photo of that deck but the battery is dead so might be able to post one later. From what I can tell is they are all just a little different, which led's me to believe that how it was done probably had some to do with what ship yard it was built in. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

• 2 weeks later...

Mocking up templates to start making the Quarter pieces, not sure if I will be able to make them from a single blank or will have to split them into 2 or 3 pieces.

386399A5-4075-43F2-824D-6D1C49B37764.thumb.jpeg.109a816e6d387834cfade64b59589a2c.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

• 2 weeks later...

Main mast partner cross chocks have been made along with the mizzenmast partner and Capstan step.

Now I have started with the main hatchway coming - it’s aft side has been carefully notched to accept the cross chock so it spans across the beam halfway.

B3DDA1A3-5C32-4000-9282-F1567EC5622A.thumb.jpeg.1c82601726496af9d62464bae780026e.jpeg4EC6D0C8-76A3-4FA5-841E-5EE972C605AF.thumb.jpeg.14f015e5d1633c82f15d5e366c445832.jpeg

7 hours ago, dvm27 said:

Beautiful work Ben. Must be fun to go back and forth between the two ships. Do you have plans to rig either/both?

Thanks Greg,

yes it is nice sometimes to jump between them,

I have not yet decided if I’m rigging Pegasus but leaning slightly towards it!

I am definitely not rigging the Winnie.

Edited by Trussben

Making the main hatch gratings as per TFFM, wow - when you make these at actual scale thickness they are very thin, flimsy and easy to break.

I haven’t decided if I will stain the comings black or leave natural pear.

F3CF0845-C953-4042-BD89-64FD4AA4A79B.thumb.jpeg.6f255e67e3ae75b4457a7f8ef43aa622.jpeg

Edited by Trussben

Amongst the nicest gratings ever posted at MSW.  Very well done!! 

I am not familiar with Pegasus, but do the corners of the coamings and head ledges get rounded above the top of the deck line?

Enjoying following your build, thanks for sharing.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

13 hours ago, allanyed said:

Amongst the nicest gratings ever posted at MSW.  Very well done!! 

I am not familiar with Pegasus, but do the corners of the coamings and head ledges get rounded above the top of the deck line?

Enjoying following your build, thanks for sharing.

Allan

Yes Allan - They will get rounded above deck line.