HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - 1/64 - POB - 32-Gun Frigate

Thanks Ben. Of course! :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Looks really good Rusty, you leave any wiggle room when you cut it out?

Ben

Can I have a translation or explanation  for "wiggle room " ???????

Sjors

Hi Sjors,

To me "Wiggle room" is cutting the transom a tiny bit oversized and the window openings a little smaller so the I have a little room to adjust, wiggle, to the correct position and then sand or trim to the finished size.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Fudge factor, that way if you really mess up it rhymes with the next words out of your mouth :) Rusty, I noticed your files do you use cheapo ones like me and replace them often or are they nice ones that stay shrarp?

I noticed your files do you use cheapo ones like me and replace them often or are they nice ones that stay sharp? 

Thanks ASAT and Joe,

They are relatively inexpensive ones. I only use them on wood and I’ve had them for 5-6 years now. They are

still in an acceptable condition but once they head south I won’t feel bad about chucking them.  :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Wow, 5 years is great thats alot of models the way you build!! Ijuse the harbor freight ones and get about one or two models max.... Of course some are used more than others.... Wher,e did you get yours

Oh my where did it get them?

The diamond files were either Micro Mark or Model Expo. The metal files were from a local hobby shop. I think.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I’ve started working on the fancy molding on the transom. The molding is cut from 1/32” thick

stock and is 1/16” wide. The shapes were traced and then rough cut out with a scroll saw.

post-43-0-69498400-1418230482_thumb.jpg

I then sanded them to their final shape. I then used a scraper to obtain the profile I wanted.

Here is where I’m at so far.

post-43-0-48057700-1418230484_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty, lovely work.  Did you make your own scraper or buy somewhere?  Would love to try this myself in the future.  I was going to ask Chuck if there is anyway to get some similar to those provided in the Confederacy kit.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason,

I made my scraper from a leftover Confederacy scrapper.

I just used small files to form my desired profile as Chuck describes.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All. Sorry for the delay in posting but between pc problems, the holiday and general family stuff I’ve been a

little busy. That’s not to say I haven’t gotten any modeling done. Well now that I have a new pc and I’m not using

the Admirals laptop and the backup files have been transferred I’ll start getting caught up.

I have completed the moldings on the transom and while doing so I noticed a minor problem. Self induced I must say. :angry: 

The upper counter is supposed to be uniform from port to starboard. Mine wasn’t! It was easy to correct this but in doing

so it threw off the height of the bottom of the quarter galleries. They are supposed to set on top of the black strake. Mine

will be into the black strake. It was the only way I could correct my error without tearing out the transom and wales. It just

goes to show the relationships between so many portions of the build. Miss on the wales placement and it alters the counter

which alters the quarter galleries. :huh: 

post-43-0-65617800-1420294952_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-16330700-1420294954_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-64316100-1420294955_thumb.jpg

Here you see a set of laser cut lights and trim on laser board that I got from Chuck. This is really nice

stuff. Very thin and delicate but durable. I don’t the gentlest touch but the outer lights survived my

handling. :)

post-43-0-69448700-1420294950_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-27416600-1420294957_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-00548100-1420294959_thumb.jpg

More to come in a bit.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

She's going to have one impressive stern.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

That looks fine Rusty.  Nice save on the gallery counter.   They are tricky buggers.   The hard part is making sure the angle is correct so the windows fit OK.    Luckily...if your windows for the galleries need some tweaking,  I can just make some adjustments and cut you new ones.  So dont fret about that.   All you would need to do is send me some templates with the correct angles.

Chuck

Thanks Augie and Chuck, also thanks for the offer to re-cut the windows. You are right the angle was

off and now makes this an oh crap moment. I adjusted the rear most upright and that corrected the

angle for the rest of the windows.

Here is the new angle.

post-43-0-92446500-1420312651_thumb.jpg

For the roof I had to make shingles and as Chuck described slicing them from a strip of 1/8” boxwood instead of

cutting from a 1/32” sheet was much easier. The pieces are cut a little thinner than 1/32” and then sanded to clean

them up and make them even thinner. The shingles were placed one row at a time. Once dry the tops of the shingles

were sanded smooth to match the roof angle so the next row would sit flat.

post-43-0-33642800-1420312653_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-59313200-1420312655_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-72090300-1420312659_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-16588200-1420312657_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-09296600-1420312661_thumb.jpg

This catches me up on the work I had done while my pc was down. Now I have to decide do I rip it all out and get the

new windows at a different angle or continue on and make the columns for between the windows. Hmmmmmm. :huh: 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

She is looking superb Rusty and build into a very fine model.  Chuck's 'bits and bobs' look excellent quality; thanks for the feedback on those.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Ben. Until Chuck offered to cut new windows I was perfectly happy! Now it has me wondering.

I'll contemplate for a bit and see what happens.

Thanks Pat. Like we already knew his parts are the best.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Here I’ve completed the decorative rail on top of the quarter galleries. My rail, Chucks has 3, has

4 decorative pieces in it :( . My curve was a little bolder so it ended up too long for three so I

modified it to make four fit. I’ve decided to leave well enough alone with the windows. They won’t

be installed until much later as there is a lot of sanding and they will just trap dust and debris.

post-43-0-36201400-1421420456_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-22381700-1421420458_thumb.jpg

The only thing left to do for now on the galleries is to make the decorative columns. I am waiting

on a .016 kerf saw blade so I can cut flutes down the face of each column. 

That will complete chapter 6.

That will also catch me up to where Chuck is at right now. That will leave me time to work on

some other models I’ve shoved to the side. Also my daughter is moving to another house next

month and I have a looooooooong “Daddy do” list that will keep me quite busy for the foreseeable

future.

I just have to remember how to work at full scale again! :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Just spent the last few hours here admiring the fine work you're doing Rusty. The planking turned out beautiful along with the stern. Very nice! I hope you don't mind my following along this late in the game.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very nice work Rusty, some great detail appearing

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi George, Thank you and welcome aboard!

Thanks Pat, Yes now that the hull is planked it will be fun adding more detail to her.

Thank you all for stopping by and all of the likes. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Absolutely beautiful work Rusty.... shingles are amazing.

I think the Winie is going to rival the Confederacy.

Still thinking this will be my next build once Chuck releases the kit.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hi Dave,

Thanks! Yes they are both beauties and the Winnie would be worth the wait. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 years later...

Is this build still alive??  Has there been any progress on the Winchelsea??

I was very interested in following along with this (or Chucks) Winnie build.  

Probably make this my next build if/when that time ever gets here....

It's a beautiful ship !!!

Thanks

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Interesting you should mention the build.   I am making preparations to begin working on the Winnie within weeks.   It is very much alive.

Chuck