SMS WESPE 1876 by wefalck – 1/160 scale - Armored Gunboat of the Imperial German Navy - as first commissioned

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much, gentlemen, for your kind feedback !

More Crew

While dispositioning the crew according to the envisages story-board - the crew undergoes some gun drill under the supervision of a petty officer, with the captain (Kapitänleutnant, but I didn’t manage to paint the two embroidered stripes on the sleeves) looks on, the first officer (Leutnant zur See, one stripe on the sleeves) takes notes, and two men man the helm - I noticed a certain emptiness and lack of activity in the other parts of the boat. So, I sifted through the Preiser-sprues in search for some additional suitable figures. Thus, more mid 20th century German railway staff joined the 19thcentury Imperial Navy. There will be two stokers taking a break from their arduous work, a rating on signalling duty walking back towards the mast, and a petty officer on the after deck going about his duty.

image.png.843c5a811416b4800d9bb864cb00742e.png

As before, jackets had to be trimmed down and breast pockets scraped off in order to represent blouses and high-waist trousers. The single-breasted railway-jacket was converted into the double-breasted one of the navy, caps or hats altered.

image.png.4e61a737efdb9abe786161421f6b5fd1.png

The painting proceeded as before, but I noted that the practices from the other figures paid off. The stokers wear the white working blouse and trousers, which seems a bit strange in a boiler-room environment full of coal-dust, soot, and sweat, but I suppose the undyed cotton stands up better to serious washing than any coloured cloth. After painting, these figures were dusted with grey pastel.

To be continued ....

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Nice to see the boiler room staff getting a little deck time. All very precise. Excellent work.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Nice 'bodging' Eberhard, the crew are looking good.  Your steady hands have come to the fore with some really well defined fine detail showing.

cheers

pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

The Crew boards S.M.S. WESPE

With all the crew members being painted, they were place at their foreseen duty stations. They were attached with tiny drops of Vallejo acrylic matt varnish. The pictures below show their disposition.

image.png.ab1a0a380aa69cb6f7d88299ff4ed7f1.png

image.png.fa17b07508b8ea9a50a85de600b661c9.png

image.png.2b549b3ab6f808340a31ebf6c3fd2d5f.png

image.png.0e8cb1fd083fdf10b1c14c0bd6035c09.png

Final touch-ups

In case I had to remove the model from its base for whatever reason, it had only be screwed down, but the slight gap between the hull and modelled sea had not been filled with acrylic gel yet. Now with the model almost completed, this was done.

image.png.b3cd2d1977e3108992912ee178c720dd.png

image.png.3eef80b3d21b553c39cc1dc537562cda.png

I also gave it a very light weathering at certain places. For instance, the top of the smoke stack was lightly dusted with black pastel. White and grey pastel indicated the areas where the ash would have dropped out of the ash-chutes into the sea. Some grey pastel was also applied to certain parts of the hull to break somewhat the uniform black and enhance the visibility of surface structures.

image.png.af98639e680df39fea6edd9bd47729a7.png

image.png.8c2e269a32b5d2c757703380bb20c819.png 

Raising the Ensign

Now, being ready to go to sea, the ensign was raised, meaning the flagstaff was installed. This being extremely delicate, it was left as very last step.

image.png.927e32fde81e2f6b63f47132f7d6bde8.png

With this the model is in principle finished after a journey of nearly 18 years. I just checked: the first photographs were taken on 1 October 2006. There have been considerable interruptions, such as the move from the Netherlands to Paris. I also built the model of the Zuiderzee-botter in between and spent considerable time on constructing workshop tools and machinery.

image.png.6998a9d020151deb792b625c28b9e43e.png

image.png.c0c957b56d4ac54e66e9d4a17336b9a5.png

image.png.24472b1b3d6a4bc04266cf038960397f.png

However, before screwing down the glass-case the above photographs also serve to check the model for any imperfections that can still be addressed at this point. Paint may have to be touched up etc. This is more visible on 2D images, than on the real thing. Once this is done, some ‘glamour shots’ will be taken before the glass-case makes this more difficult.

There are certainly things that I wish had turned out better. This includes the rigging, which is taught or following catena-curves as I had planned. Making things to scale-size also makes them at the chosen scale rather flimsy with limitations to adjustment possibilities. This is even more the case with ‘modern’ ships in metal and with metal parts, where parts have to be thin and small, compared to those on wooden ships of old. Sometimes, these problems also arose due to a lack of foresight on my side.

image.png.831c46aa5095a108a0015193ff200bcc.png

What next?

Well, the follow-on project is mentally already almost completed (one of several), but the workshop needs first a good tidying up, cleaning, and re-organisation. Something that had been neglected actually for several years during the drive to complete SMS WESPE. Some machinery also needs a bit TLC to be ready for the next project. There are also a couple of small tool projects that I want to undertake, but I may start those only, once I have started the new ship project.

image.png

wefalck

Congratulations, Eberhard. What a fantastic journey it's been following your build of the Wespe. She's neat, beautiful, gorgeous, mind blowing, and many many more adjectives describing such over the top workmanship on your part. Again, congratulations. . 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Congratulations on finishing, what an amazing build! The figures really make it come to life, too.

Wonderful Eberhard. I liked the crew pictures so much I even made my wife look at them. Even she was impressed. 

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Very impressive build. Echoing the above, the crew really brings it to life. 

The sharpness of your construction keeps amazing me! Splendid work! :cheers:

Congratulations, a very long project with incredible attention to detail. A masterpiece!

What's next I wonder...

Words are not enough Wefalk. :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

A stunning model Eberhard; those figurines really set it off.

cheers

Pat

Congratulations on finishing this wonderful model masterpiece!  This log has been a real tour de force in miniature modeling techniques, so thanks for demonstrating these and the unique materials that you used such papers, etc.  A beautiful model display and I look forward to the "glamor shots."

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Congratulations Eberhard, what an outstanding build. 18 years, wow!  It has been a fantastic adventure following along and can’t wait to jump on board the next one. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Congratulations.  This model is a masterpiece by any definition.  It's amazing to me how much detail you can put into such a small scale model. :imNotWorthy:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

While I am trying to source a suitable background paper for the ‘glamour-shots’ of the completed S.M.S. WESPE, I started a new project, a model of single-masted Baltic trader from northern Germany: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/37083-pomerian-rahschlup-1846-by-wefalck-–-1160-scale-–-single-masted-baltic-trading-vessel/#comment-1061266

wefalck

• 1 month later...

A few glamour-shots of S.M.S. WESPE

Finally, I managed to go into town to buy a suitable paper as backdrop for the glamour-shots of the whole model. Here they are without further comments:

image.png.6fd776d46752f5bfe0e2bf7144c19d5f.png

image.png.79a5a4641892b82230f92fd56aa95265.png

image.png.8c2798c28d8f96ca58e3b0041fbbfa40.png

image.png.b6dd3fedda2e79719fbc696539563ad5.png

image.png.6ec82eaa084132fafd3b9eb9a43c0fe3.png

image.png.2d98ba4303e7c58689250e72002472b8.png

image.png.4e6f6aa8df8733b0e21ca957a94d9ff5.png

image.png.0697dd85fb7cd30de4f2346085e03ac9.png

image.png.21c5e2ad76444c5c39dba1d1d4e30a47.png

And also two shots in black & white:

image.png.ac19a20175c4e2d5719fd958d42bdf3f.png

image.png.1827b0b7ba94adee829dce5d93884de4.png

wefalck

Eberhard - Wonderful and the black and white shot of the gun looks almost real. I think if it was a little more grainy and a bit out of focus everyone would mistake it for the real thing.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

30 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

Eberhard - Wonderful and the black and white shot of the gun looks almost real. I think if it was a little more grainy and a bit out of focus everyone would mistake it for the real thing.

My thoughts exactly. 

Great photos, Eberhard. It's such a neat little model, are you putting her under glass and displaying her at your home?

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

An exquisite model Eberhard.  It really is a showcase for your skills and attention to detail.  I very much enjoyed the journey of the build.

cheers

Pat

Thank you very much again, gentlemen, for your kind comments!

Keith, I am not sure that photos in the 1870s would have been more grainy and less focused. At that time photographers still had to use large-format glass-plate negatives, even wet collodium plates. Given their size of nearly A4, they and the care taken when focusing on the ground glass-plate before inserting the actual photographic plate, they images tend to be extremely well focused and also with a great depth of field. We tend to see such pictures in printed form in books etc., where much of the original image quality is lost.

For the fun of it I superimposed the very first photograph of S.M.S. WESPE, an engraving that obviously was based on this photograph, and a somewhat ‘photoshopped’ shot of the model (without spending to much time on that)::

image.png.635e13b6940f7517b25a65b6953f0513.png

image.png.495f1db062241debf42a908b36481e2e.png

image.png.d3bdea09065d2bdf6ddfe29d63469db6.png

… perhaps I shouldn’t have done this, as I no discover things that could have been done better 🫣

wefalck

I think you may be a little harsh on your build efforts Eberhard; from my perspective I don't think there is much you could improve on.

cheers

Pat