SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

thank you very much Jeff,

I also love visible figurines on deck for the same reason as you do. For this project I have been collecting over weeks and months crew members, officers, and (seated, standing, walking)  passengers in period fashions, these will be placed in the appropriate decks and places on board.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

looks awesome Nils.........you added more to the bow?    such wonderful work.........that aft structure looks even better with the smaller structure on top  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Nils,

I'm back and caught-up from early October.  We had a little setback due to hurricane Matthew but are more or less at a normal stage now. 

What fantastic progress you have made in these few weeks.  Marvelous work and craftsmanship.  Your model shines and worthy to be displayed in any museum.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thank you so much Denis, David and Piet

for your kind words....

Also thanks to all the "likes"

Denis,

there have been no additional fitting out details to the forcastle-deck, its about complete as is....

David,

I`m very pleased you like the model, still  quite a way to go...

Piet,

hope you had no hurricane related damages....

and thanks for your nice words, I saw you had a good catch up on the model`s progress

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Patrick,

thank you very much, your kind compliment is well appreciated...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils because of my own project I am seeing just how much fine work you have accomplished with this ship. The thing that just struck me though is the small size of the base on which the model is sitting. It would make me very nervous with such long overhangs.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nils because of my own project I am seeing just how much fine work you have accomplished with this ship. The thing that just struck me though is the small size of the base on which the model is sitting. It would make me very nervous with such long overhangs.

Michael

Hi Michael,

when determining the size of the base I considered the the tilt force on the overhangs that possibly could bring her out of balance, It is OK as is. When she goes into the glass case later on I`ll put some double side adhesive pads between casing base and stand base.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I have been looking forward to this stage of the build. She looks terrific!

Thanks very much for your compliment Oystein...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Mike, Bob and Grant,

for your appreciative comments....

Mike,

a bit of metal work always has to be on my models, I love to use brass where applicable..

Bob and Grant,

am pleased you like the overall pics, shall post some now and then..., in order to illustrate the progress better...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wonderful work Nils......on par with many of the professional models I viewed at the Mariners Museum in Virginia.  Just beautiful.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Wonderful work Nils......on par with many of the professional models I viewed at the Mariners Museum in Virginia.  Just beautiful.

Rob

Thanks very much for your kind compliment Rob,

I`m just building for fun and am gaining some experience from project to project, there are always the ideas that come to mind, but I`m trying to consequently finish a model before another is started. Im very pleased that you like it...

Wish you further on much fun with your "Great Republic" clipper, a beautiful build...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

many thanks Gary,

I`m pleased to know you following, and that you like it, thanks for the kind compliment

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

some of the actual ships upper structures are from planked wood and I would like to resemble this as well...., Thats why some aft deck housings and later on also the housings / structures around the forward comand bridge on upper levels are obviosly wooden planked.

In order to resemble the wooden planking, I made some little test pieces of 3 mm wood stripes with pencil caulked edges. Whereby the nutwood stripes come out too dark, the test piece with beech planking and a light cherry stain and varnish on it comes near to mahagony with a light silky appeal, and builds a good contrast to the brass window frames

Put on the aft hatch with two compagnionway hatch-type-entrees, and the large doublestory light before the aft deck winches......

Nils

post-3445-0-96552000-1478356096_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-16437700-1478356237_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-72796400-1478356239_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-72559400-1478356241_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-80609000-1478356264_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Just amazing work and those figures add so much to this ship.   Wonderful, Nils.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just amazing work and those figures add so much to this ship.   Wonderful, Nils.

Mark,

many thanks for your nice compliment, much appreciated

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

building the  companionways to the lower deck. Will have one of the two with shut door, the other with open door for view on the downward stair. (dry fit)

Have built twelve skylights to date....

Nils

post-3445-0-76500600-1478627266_thumb.jpg

Holding jig for mounting the parts

post-3445-0-58387900-1478627278_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-76887800-1478627330_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-74715700-1478627361_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-70371400-1478696313_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-10814400-1478693868_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-47017400-1478693870_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-29256100-1478627379_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Fantastic work Nils.....I like the woodwork mingled within the iron work.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi, Nils!

For a second consecutive day I'm following this build log of yours from the very first page (comments included). So far I have come to the 42nd page...
Before continuing (which I'll certainly do!) I'd like to mention the following:

In the "small picture" I/we can see the details of your incredible and truly amazing work, highly appreciated (and fully deserved) by anyone in this Forum.

In the "big picture" I/we can see the Man behind it -  kind, generous, helpful, sharing, supportive, tolerant, with a great sense of humor and much more...

Thank you for these pictures, I highly appreciate both, especially the big one! With the deepest respect,

TLC

She's really looking first class, Nils.  I still cant' get over the absolute forest of cowl ventilators on this ship!

John

Thank you John,

I saw this model (in a well built card version) in a model shop once and had the same impression relating to the" forest of vents"..., but also found that very interesting and presumed it a necessity in lack of other electric vent systems to get the air right down (waste air out)  into the heart of  the ship, cabins und under deck facilities. Those large "monster-vents" that lead down to the boiler furnaces are yet still to be placed....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Fantastic work Nils.....I like the woodwork mingled within the iron work.

Rob

Thank you very much Rob,

it looks like the mingling of iron and wood was quite common on ships of that period and I am trying to resemble this a bit where applicable, glad you like it

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi, Nils!

For a second consecutive day I'm following this build log of yours from the very first page (comments included). So far I have come to the 42nd page...

Before continuing (which I'll certainly do!) I'd like to mention the following:

In the "small picture" I/we can see the details of your incredible and truly amazing work, highly appreciated (and fully deserved) by anyone in this Forum.

In the "big picture" I/we can see the Man behind it -  kind, generous, helpful, sharing, supportive, tolerant, with a great sense of humor and much more...

Thank you for these pictures, I highly appreciate both, especially the big one! With the deepest respect,

TLC

Thank you for your kind words TLC,

its a much appreciated compliment....

I`m very pleased you are taking the time to view the log pages one by one and that the build is liked, and hope that the remaining work shall be just as interesting for you to follow. I`m often searching the web in order to find more information and pictures of the actual ship, they seem to be very scarce...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed