maturin

Tools You Can't Live Without

Hey howya goin Maturin mate, a mechanical pencil, ruler and a hammer to bash wood into place beacuse I forgot to pick a saw as my third item.   :bird-vi:

Xacto knife or scalpel, diamond tweezers and ........ number 1 - Headband Magnifier. It's the first thing I reach for when I sit down.

I'm looking for a good one to replace my 10-year-old one - the lenses are getting past it, too many scratches. I'd prefer one with a 3rd lens that goes to 6x or 8x magnification - not that useless drop-down round one but an actual rectangular lens. It also doesn't need those equally useless lights - they don't do anything a good movable worklight can't do, and they get rather heavy after an hour or so.

Any recommendations?

:cheers:  Danny

John Allen, mtaylor, grsjax and 2 others like this

1 hour ago, Dan Vad said:

Any recommendations?

Danny I just started using these. 

59277fc4df186_Magglasses.jpg.841862a23d341f48a0ef43dd39604811.jpg

Likes:  very lightweight, comfortable, when using you still have great peripheral vision, 5 different lens (although not 6-8x like you mentioned), inexpensive

Dislikes: light is worthless, magnification requires you to be very close to what you are working on. 

Canute, Dan Vad and mtaylor like this

Thanks Michael. The 3.5x @ 80-120mm is about half the distance from the job that my current ones work at. How easy is it to swap the lenses over? That's one good thing about my current one - you simply flip down the 2nd lens to double the magnification :) .

I also found THIS ONE, a Chinese knock-off of the Donegan magnifier. Anyone else use it, and what do you think of it?

Canute, mtaylor and MEDDO like this

27 minutes ago, Dan Vad said:

I also found THIS ONE, a Chinese knock-off of the Donegan magnifier

I have these ones the screws on the side keep coming loose.    :bird-vi:

mtaylor and Canute like this

Get the Donogan Optivisor with glass lenses - a word of difference from the plastic lenses - much clearer and they don't scratch.  I swap out the lenses when I need more power rather than picking up the old plastic lens unit.  I think I will just get rid of the plastic version - I will never use it again.

Kurt

mtaylor, Canute and Dan Vad like this

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I have these ones the screws on the side keep coming loose.    :bird-vi:

I have one like that.  Works really well and has glass lens.  I think I paid about US$12 for them on eBay.

3 hours ago, grsjax said:

I have one like that.  Works really well and has glass lens.  I think I paid about US$12 for them on eBay.

I've bought one of them on Ebay, $AU20.83 with free postage :) . Eddie, I'll check the screws :D .

1 minute ago, Dan Vad said:

Eddie, I'll check the screws

It happens when you lift it up and down a couple of times I also got mine off of ebay, now it just sits in the cupboard.

Canute and mtaylor like this