Old Collingwood

Black Pearl by Old Collingwood - 1/72 Scale

3 hours ago, EJ_L said:

Ah, the temptations of new models... I'm not very good at resisting that call as is evident by the multiple builds I maintain. Still, you never want to anger the admiral. She can cast you ashore and leave you stranded with no ship or hope for one. I've learned that if I keep mine happy, she lets me use the good ship Visa to buy more ship stuff which in turn keeps me happy.

Okay, I've said the correct things. Now I can say that I am looking forward to seeing you start that build! All that PE will really make it a spectacular model! I will be watching for that log as the Pearl finishes up. :)

"I must - I must - I must  resist the temptation"     I have put the new build away under lock and key,  and even posted the key off to a key keeping service that also asks me for a 1000 digit security number,   so  it should be safe for me to continue the pearl.

OC.

5 hours ago, cog said:

Didn't help much I reccon ...

She won't skin him, than he will be useless to her ... Coventry is much better ... she could also send him to the Netherlands ... on foot :D

Hey  I like the Netherlands  - one of my fave airlines to photograph in my past was KLM.

OC.

3 hours ago, EJ_L said:

Ah, the temptations of new models... I'm not very good at resisting that call as is evident by the multiple builds I maintain. Still, you never want to anger the admiral. She can cast you ashore and leave you stranded with no ship or hope for one. I've learned that if I keep mine happy, she lets me use the good ship Visa to buy more ship stuff which in turn keeps me happy.

Okay, I've said the correct things. Now I can say that I am looking forward to seeing you start that build! All that PE will really make it a spectacular model! I will be watching for that log as the Pearl finishes up. :)

Hi EJ,   I promise to make lots of nice work and additions to the pearl, so that should keep us all  motivated and interested.

OC.

2 hours ago, Wallace said:

We all have numerous tools and jigs at our disposal to help create these models we enjoy so much and that, along with the experience we gain both from other kindred spirits and our own fumblings makes this an enjoyable pastime. BUT, another factor never to be forgotten is the effect the Admiral can certainly have on this existence. She also has means at HER disposal to turn the whole thing around and is a key "player" in the whole affair. 

That was just my 10 cents worth :)

And the Most important aspect of our projects is  our  site here,   from my viewpoint is so instrumental  and generates such an incentive to  build or works of art  - That goes for ever single one  on here.

OC.

20 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

And the Most important aspect of our projects is  our  site here,   from my viewpoint is so instrumental  and generates such an incentive to  build or works of art  - That goes for ever single one  on here.

OC.

That is so true OC. You hit the nail on the head with that one sir. 

34 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

I have put the new build away under lock and key,  and even posted the key off to a key keeping service that also asks me for a 1000 digit security number,   so  it should be safe for me to continue the pearl.

That just made me smile :)

Evening/Afternoon/Morning all,    I thougt I would do an update -still to do type list  -

1)  Continue making ropes and attaching them to the bottoms of the remaining gun port lids, then glue them in place.

2)  Build the rope trunking devices (but this time add a slightly wider extension - and glue the end of the rope into a hole drilled here).

3)  Fit the the above in place and when set tie the two ropes together -allowing some slack.

4)  Give all the lid/trunking devices  a coat of paint and weather.

5)  Attempt to tidy up the plastic pre-moulded tackles and paint/weather as needed.

6)  Have a go at attaching both ends to each side of the cannons/bulkhead.

Then start the mast work......

Well that a rough idea.

OC.

where are the rope that open them?  on most early ships, the ropes are tied along the spar deck railings  {then I got a brain storm........look at the instructions}    they are tied to poles that jut out from the hull above them.  even though you choose to have the ports closed......you'll still need to rig them.   I do find it odd though.......do the sailors hang from the railings to open the ports?   strange design :blink:

Just done a rough  sketch of the lid/pully device assembly  - The idea is to use a piece of  stock wood,  then I will add a small piece of square stock at the end (slightly wider)  then I will drill a hole in the center just wide enough to take some rope (same thickness as I used on the lids) the rope will be glued in the when set I will drill a small hole through the hull, then push and glue the assembly - to allow a certain amount sticking out, then when set the rope will be joined to the rope on the lid.

Only have to do this Ten times.

Heres my diagram  -

Lid pully.jpg

7 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

where are the rope that open them?  on most early ships, the ropes are tied along the spar deck railings  {then I got a brain storm........look at the instructions}    they are tied to poles that jut out from the hull above them.  even though you choose to have the ports closed......you'll still need to rig them.   I do find it odd though.......do the sailors hang from the railings to open the ports?   strange design :blink:

On the actual ship - the beams sticking out are hollow and they  have a pulley  at the end, the rope comes up from the lid  past over the pulley then through the beam  and into the inside of the hull, where it would be pulled/let go to open/close the lids.

OC.

Maybe since the 1:1 ship is a fictional movie prop, not an historical sailing vessel replica, certain artistic liberties are taken to simplify the construction of it yet still look authentic to a certain degree for the average person/movie enthusiast. In that case, functional gun ports would not be an issue that would warrant excessive spending to achieve.

Let's face it, the average person is not well informed at all on early sailing vessels. A reasonable facsimile is good enough for a Disney pirate flick. Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is ample evidence of that.

3 minutes ago, CDW said:

Maybe since the 1:1 ship is a fictional movie prop, not an historical sailing vessel replica, certain artistic liberties are taken to simplify the construction of it yet still look authentic to a certain degree for the average person/movie enthusiast. In that case, functional gun ports would not be an issue that would warrant excessive spending to achieve.

Let's face it, the average person is not well informed at all on early sailing vessels. A reasonable facsimile is good enough for a Disney pirate flick. Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is ample evidence of that.

lol - point taken

It may be a simple design but, it looks like a maintenance nightmare. Storms and gunfire probably made replacing these a constant chore. Still, they will make for a cool detail that is not often seen on models.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Indeed, there are several things that make us modelers scratch our heads... the capstan with the main mast coming out of the center of it comes to mind.   Ah... movie magic.... ;)

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Indeed, there are several things that make us modelers scratch our heads... the capstan with the main mast coming out of the center of it comes to mind.   Ah... movie magic.... ;)

But I must admit, I enjoyed the whole Pirates of the Caribbean series as much or more than anything else I have seen for a long time. Very entertaining, light hearted, and the musical scores were great!

13 hours ago, CDW said:

But I must admit, I enjoyed the whole Pirates of the Caribbean series as much or more than anything else I have seen for a long time.

Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow certainly was a "loveable" pirate. 

We had a word for something like this back when I was a youngster - "finnicky". It is a word I probably haven't used since then but it sprang instantly to mind when I saw this :)

33 minutes ago, Wallace said:

We had a word for something like this back when I was a youngster - "finnicky". It is a word I probably haven't used since then but it sprang instantly to mind when I saw this :)

Its certainly best doing it in small sections  to break up the  repetition,   I have the remaining five built and drilled  waiting on the ropes to be glued in place  - tomorrow.

Then the same for the opposite side.

OC.

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Then the same for the opposite side.

Doing both sides!!!!!!!?

Very nice OC. will you shape the rope in a roundish way with pva?