ChrisLBren

USF Confederacy by ChrisLBren - 3/16 Scale P.O.B Scratch Build

234 posts in this topic

Very, very nice..... I love the pear/boxwood/black look...... I am calling it the ChrisLBren technique I may have to copy it on a model or two!

mtaylor and WackoWolf like this

It's great to see you back, Chris.  The Confed is looking outstanding.

A facinating build Chris,

I love your color scheme, it looks great

Nils

mtaylor likes this

Thanks everyone - ASAT - this approach is not mine - I imitated many French Builder's use of color/wood tones - if you have Frolichs book, "The Art of Shipmodeling" you'll see my reference. 7 years as of Thanksgiving this year on this build  - lately I've been up in the shop at 5am and working till 7am until the kids get up - seems to be working...

WackoWolf, Rustyj and mtaylor like this

Chris, I will definitely add that book to my library, and no matter who gets the credit for that approach, you have executed it marvelously well and will continue to be my inspiration for utilizing it. This is one of the cleanest confederacy's I have seen and really works well to display her unique lines and beauty. Just gorgeous!!!

Lou

ChrisLBren and mtaylor like this

The colours are incredible! You made me change my mind and go with pear planking above the wales :)

Really love the black parts as well, you mentioned it is a Fiebings dyed swiss pear, but what finish do you use on top of it to seal the dye? As I understand, it would mar if not finished in top?

Truly looking forward for the next build! 

mtaylor and Wishmaster like this

What a museum piece :) Absolutely beautiful! Harmony of colors! I just can imagine how does it look in real! Amazing!!! Regards :)

mtaylor likes this

Thanks guys - appreciate the kind words.  Mike, i top coated three coats of Fiebings (buffed with a tshirt after ever coat) with Danish Oil - which gives it a slight luster that mimics ebony.  Hope this helps,

Chris

Dubz, tlevine, Mike Y and 3 others like this

Hey Group,

Bit of an update - Ive been plugging away on the head for the past month - this by far is the most challenging part of this build.  Im very happy with my new Dewalt Scroll Saw, Spindle Sander and Byrnes Sander - it made reproducing these parts a snap and believe me I went thru a lot of scraps to get here.  

I could tinker with this area forever - but I really want to finish up the other side (the head timbers are installed and notched for the middle rail) and proceed with wrapping up this build.

Chris

post-1070-0-66675300-1486848976_thumb.jpg

Ejiejie that is so damn beautiful ... I should abandon my build .. haha ...

Dirk

mtaylor and WackoWolf like this

Thanks guys - both of your Confederacys look amazing.

I've learned a ton during this build and it's given me much pleasure over the past 7 years. I'm just eager to see her mounted on brass pedestals on an ebony stained base.

mtaylor and Mike Y like this

That's a glorious bow Chris. The head rails really complement the figure. Well done.

mtaylor likes this

Looking forward for the photoshoot of the finished model! It is a true marvel, accuracy and colours are incredible.

WackoWolf and mtaylor like this