HMS Triton Cross Section by Rusty - FINISHED - 1:48

Hi Rusty, everything looks great but maybe you could have modified the planking below the gunports so there wasn't that little strip beneath them, using the tabbed approach. That's what I intend to do on the Echo.

Keep the updates coming buddy.

Ben

Hi Ben. You read my mind. After looking at the pictures I remembered Chuck doing it

and will attempt it on the tops. Not gonna rip off the old though. :huh:

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Ok here is my attempt to duplicate Chuck’s work, again. Not as good as his but I’m satisfied.

When I planked around the sills I thought I was going to be around ½ a plank wide. But once I

put the plank in place finished trimmed it and sanded it flush you see I only have about a

¼ plank width. So with that I attempted to do the tabbed approach Ben mentioned and Chuck

demonstrated on the Winnie.

I started with cutting a plank the width of a regular plank plus the width of the tab to cover the

lintel. I then marked the entire plank at the regular plank width, then marked the widest point

of the of the tab and the narrowest point so I would know what angle to cut. I then slowley

removed the excess wood and kept testing it until I was satisfied with the finished piece.

post-43-0-33908800-1372108697_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-73480300-1372108690_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-26968900-1372108704_thumb.jpg

Then it was glued in placed.

post-43-0-75207200-1372108710_thumb.jpg

Next I'll treenail both sides.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty....

Very nice touch on your models...the result was worth the extra effort.

It is so amazing how this many people can start with the same plans and come out with what seems endless variations of the model by adding their own touch.

You have done a great job on yours :10_1_10:

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Thank you Pete, both Grants, David, Matrim, Ben, Paddy and 42 Rocker! :)

Bob, Funny you say that. I've always looked to you for insperation to do my best. Thanks! B)

Ok I've spent a whle drilling hole for the treenails.

post-43-0-04392200-1372273767_thumb.jpg

Gonna draw the treenails tonight and start plugging those holes!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

lovely work - i have so much to learn - loves the wood colours 

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Rusty, u still going to use boxwood for treenails?

I just drew down a load of bamboo for the Echo frames, installed and sanded them and they are invisible!!! I expected to be able to see them a little bit!! You wouldn't know they were there!

Your drilling is excellent as always.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks and yes I'm going to continue using boxwood for the treenails for this build.

I think I will try bamboo later on the Echo. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

:D LOL :D I had to google "cack-handed" just to make sure I had the right meaning! Love It!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Boxwoods a little to delicate for tree nails for me so well done for having the patience to draw them. I  only used bamboo because of my rather cack-handed way of pulling them..

LOL.... not at you but with you. Sounds like someone I know very well. :D

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Hi Lee-c, Thanks and welcome aboard!

Nothing much, just filled all of those holes and sanded the treenails down.

post-43-0-04690900-1372511332_thumb.jpg

I think I'll finish the inboard planking before I do the fenders and steps.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi All,

Well I’ve completed planking the inboard bulwarks with the red heart.

It was very straight forward and went every well.

post-43-0-96589300-1372893081_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-71073300-1372893087_thumb.jpg

Now it's time to make the steps and fenders. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Pete and Russ. It was fun using something different.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty,

You continue to push the bar higher..  Love the colors.  I never thought of redheart for bulwarks but that looks great. 

Question, I understand redheart darkens with time.  Do you know if a finish will stop that?  Or like cherry, does it just get darker and darker?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark. I first used Red Heart on the Mayflower around 3 ½ years ago. I applied

around 4 coats satin wipe on poly and it still is the same color. I’m hoping that several

coats on the Triton will help it hold the color too. I’ve also heard that the biggest cause

of color change is sunlight. So I also plan on keeping it away from direct sunlight.

Time will tell. :)

Thanks Bob. I’d say great minds think alike but the Admiral would have issue with my side of the equation. :o 

Thanks Ben.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)