HMS AGAMEMNON by Karinmutter - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

15 minutes ago, James H said:

This is coming along so well. Not too far from the finishing line now, relatively 😁

Thank you Jim! It took me a lot longer than I had envisioned to make the yards. Plus we had a heat-wave here in Germany working under the roof can be a real torture.

But now I am running out of excuses, and I think the shrouds will not be such a big challenge. In my dreams I already see the finishing line 😉 

Hope you are doing fine!

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Some new pictures. Finally I have managed to put on some shrouds. As a tool for the spacer, I used bent needles, a bit wider than recommended. One for one pair of deadeyes, and two for the second pair. The second needle made it more stable and the deadeye was fixed in a permanent position.

P1100163.JPG

P1100164.JPG

P1100165.JPG

P1100166.JPG

P1100167.JPG

P1100168.JPG

P1100170.JPG

P1100171.JPG

P1100169.JPG

Tolles Modell Martin !

a very good looking model Martin, I like it  :)

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

3 hours ago, Henke said:

Fantastic work Martin. I like the cathar pins. How did you fix them to the shrouds?

Regards

Henrik

Hello Henke, thank you for the nice words. As for your question: I marked the position of the cathar pins with a tiny spot of paint on the shrouds. Then I put a little bit of superglue gel on the pin and pressed it gently against the shrouds,to keep their natural direction. 

Greetings, Martin

keep up the great work

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 2 months later...

Lovely looking model of the Agamemnon.

I am one of the few people who actually enjoy tying ratlines and yours look very neat and tidy. Good work!

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

18 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

Lovely looking model of the Agamemnon.

I am one of the few people who actually enjoy tying ratlines and yours look very neat and tidy. Good work!

Thank you!

For me tying the ratlines was fun, too. But I did stop whenever I felt tired or my arms were getting "heavy", fortunately there is no time pressure!

• 4 weeks later...

I finally inked the ratlines and worked on the gaff and on the stays. The mouse was made out of an 8 mm dowel, I gave it a pear form on my turning wood lathe and drilled a 3 mm hole in the middle for the stay. I put 0.5 mm of masking rope where the stay goes around the mast. This was done by hand. The rope for the stay was initially white and I stained it. I also bought prestained rope, but it did not look very good and was thinner, so I did not use it.

P1100188 (2).JPG

P1100189 (2).JPG

P1100190 (2).JPG

P1100191.JPG

P1100192 (2).JPG

P1100193.JPG

P1100194.JPG

P1100195 (2).JPG

P1100196 (2).JPG

P1100197.JPG

P1100199.JPG

Increadible build! I which to do Agamemnon some day as well!

Just a technical issue I dont understand why. But I have seen several people "ink" the ratlines rather than using black thread. Why?  

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

7 hours ago, Vane said:

Increadible build! I which to do Agamemnon some day as well!

Just a technical issue I dont understand why. But I have seen several people "ink" the ratlines rather than using black thread. Why?  

Hello Vane, thank you for your appreciation!

As for your question: Threads, who are already black are not as easy to handle, because the coloring makes them stiffer. Also the desired  "sag" is harder to accomplish. Inked threads are not as evenly coated, because of glue etc. This resembles the original ropes more, who were tarred and weathered.

On the other hand it requires some  extra work and you have to be careful not to get spots on the model. I covered the whole model with paper towels.

In my previous models I had used thin black twine for the ratlines . They also give good results. 

Greetings,

Martin

very nice .very very nice.

mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

4 hours ago, Sailor1234567890 said:

What is the purpose of the moused up stays? I see that it keeps the eye formed from closing tight on the mast as slack is taken up but is there another purpose? I'm more knowledgeable about later ships. 

Hello Sailor! You are right, the purpose of the mouse is to keep the loop from closing tight on the mast. I guess it distributes the forces more evenly and allows better control by changing the distance between the closed heart blocks.  

Greetings, Martin

Hello fellow shipbuilders,

I made a few adjustments and I have added two "toilets", the bowsprit lashings (forgotten to mention in the manual)  and the snaking. I have added a few pictures, which show the making of the "mouse". I used a wooden dowel, shaped it with my woodturning lathe and  carefulle drilled a hole going through it to make room for the stay.

P1100211 (2).JPG

P1100212.JPG

P1100214 (2).JPG

P1100215 (2).JPG

P1100216 (2).JPG

P1100217 (2).JPG

P1100218 (2).JPG

P1100220 (2).JPG

P1100221 (2).JPG

P1100223 (2).JPG

P1100226 (2).JPG

• 4 weeks later...