SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Everyone else has said what I would have said...  so I'll just applaud.   post-76-0-59032400-1463104439.gifpost-76-0-59032400-1463104439.gifpost-76-0-59032400-1463104439.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wunderherrlich! Marveilleux!

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Many thanks to Gerhard, Grant, Patrick John, Mark, Daniel,

and all the "likes"

for those much appreciated and kind comments.....,

I`ll be looking to rig the foremast and it`s shrouds next

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Update

cleats on forecastle deck edge, mounting of spare anchor,  and fastening of five turnbuckle screws per side,  for the shrouds (M1 threads, left / right) and foremast backstays

Nils

post-3445-0-42657300-1463218061_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-45829300-1463218064_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-49893300-1463218066_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Nils

Absolutely brilliant work. I think the only thing separating your ship from the real ship are some crew members, salt-spray and a few streaks of rust here and there.

At the rate you're going, she's going to be finished in no time.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

thanks Patrick,

good idea with the salt spray and streaks of rust, I may take it up later on......, for crew and passengers it`s not so easy with the suitable scale, but I`ve been gathering typical "turn of the century" passengers and crew members, for sailors and officers I recently found some nice figures in scale 1:144 from North Star Models

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Spectacular work Nils.

Bob

Thank you very much Bob

for your nice comment Bob, there is a little walk bridge that connects the promenade deck with the forecastle deck. I trust its better that this  that would have to go on first, otherwise there is no sufficiant access for mountung it, when the shrouds are in the way

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

She's nearing the moment to slide of the building slip, Nils. Marvelous work on all those details

Cheers

Thanks for your nice words Carl,

about 2/3 of the remaining ship are by far not at this degree of progress yet......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much Martin,

as already mentioned to Bob, there will be a walkbridge between promenade- and forecastle deck. As far as I know this could be used by passengers and crew to move around.....

In some pics (Norway Heritage, for KWdG) it shows this bridge in simple gangway character, so I`m not sure if not perhaps this position was only the resting place for the ships own gangway during travel.....

Nils

post-3445-0-10971400-1463245863.jpg

this pic found and  borrowed from the web....

post-3445-0-64738000-1463245856_thumb.jpg

width 6 mm, railing hight 8 mm

post-3445-0-89781700-1463245860_thumb.jpg

telescope support for adjusting the correct hight

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, Like a fine wine it just keeps getting better!!!
Steve

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Steve,

thanks very much for your nice compliment...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Vielen Dank Johann,

much appreciated....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for your nice compliment Ed,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Fantastic work Nils!!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nils, I am wondering if you own a resistance soldering machine.  That would make doing some those assemblies much easier.  Do you plan on painting  that walkway and how do you prep it?

David B

Edited by dgbot

about 2/3 of the remaining ship are by far not at this degree of progress yet......

Nils,

I remember that quite a lot of finishing work is done whilst afloat ... Though I presume you are not ging to copy that building location ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi David,

no resistance soldering involved. Soldering done by means of mini gastorch and soldering iron. For preparation pls. ref. to scetch.... All will be primered and painted....

Nils

post-3445-0-14554700-1463388793_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

thank you so much for your nice compliment Lawrence,

during checking out  the run of the shrouds and backstays with preliminary sewing thread, I just noticed that there should be 6 turnbuckle screws (instead of 5) on each side, so warm up the blackening acid once again....

Nils

post-3445-0-64827700-1463404794_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

I remember that quite a lot of finishing work is done whilst afloat ... Though I presume you are not ging to copy that building location ...

Cheers

Thank you Carl,

you`re right with the fitting out alongside the fitting out quay, but most of that would have been the luxurious fitting out and furnishing of the saloons, which I can skip......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

starting foremast ratlines, determining the line thicknesses....

Nils

post-3445-0-09671500-1463593526_thumb.jpg

this gallows is just a little dummy setup to determine the line thicknesses

post-3445-0-67255700-1463593528_thumb.jpg

the shrouds and backstays are from flexibel 7-fold galvanized steel  chord with a total thicknes of 0,3 mm diam.

(normaly used for wire controlled model aircraft)

post-3445-0-74484700-1463593530_thumb.jpg

the turnbuckle srews are the smallest I could find ( M1 left / right thread)

the upper shroud distances are given by the 4 slots in the top`s spreader

post-3445-0-95377600-1463593532_thumb.jpg

the slotrings for deck fastening are soldered at the joint, in order to prevent opening

post-3445-0-87264500-1463593534_thumb.jpg

the ratlines thickness is chosen to 0,2 mm thread in scale (the actual would be ( 144 x 0,2 = 28, 8 mm diam.)

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Carl,

the shrouds and backstays are from flexibel 7-fold zinc-galvanized steel  chord with a total thicknes of 0,3 mm diam.

(normaly used for wire controlled model aircraft). After some weeks they get a bit darker when they oxidize. The ratlines are polyester thread

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed