SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

She's looking better all the time.  I hope someday to do as well.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Resin casting ...? When you've put so much effort in your build ...!!

Thanks for looking in Carl,

well, I trust I wo`nt have the patience to build 24 lifeboats in single production, and taking a mold from a hand made prototypes for the 3 types, as well as making resin casts from those is also quite some work....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks for your nice compliment Bob,

no understatement !  you`re doing an excellent job on your builds  :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Looking great Nils, and great pics...always love having a zoom in and seeing your exquisite detailed work.

I would love to build a steamship kit. Though apart from Titanic, there doesn't seem to be any others that I can find. I fancy building a ship with funnels. Lol. Where do people get the ship plans for scratch models?

Stunning work, Nils.  She looks perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nicely done Nils.  Another way of doing your life boats many years ago at the Midwest Model Shipwrights.  A plug was made and a thin sheet of styrene was melted onto it using a hot airgun.  Once the styrene cooled down it was removed and trimmed to shape.  You can then add whatever you want.  Quick east and a time saver.  Bob F. along with Kurt could probably give you a better detail on how it was done.  I went through my photos and could not find anything,.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Many thanks to Tony, Mark (Taylor), david, and Carl,

and all the recent "Likes"....

Tony,

thanks for your words...

If you search the web for a certain build plan you may not always find a plan in the quality as detailed as you know them from the kit plans, but for a scratch builder, one must be happy with whatever was found. Often there are books with printed lines- and frameplans, and if you have luck you can see the corresponding frame spaces....

Mark,

thanks for your compliment, in the moment for example there are no plans how to fit on the upper boatsdeck, so its basicly working to what I think may workout, and doing trials...

David,

unfortunately I have no experience with hot air styrene forming over plugs, or vacuum forming, like member Kees did with his hulls (very interesting method)

Carl,

see enclosed pics...

it is my aim to go for that way. Some months ago I found and purchased a clinkered open double ender lifeboat in scale 1:144 with fine structured and detailed hull and also exactly 60 mm long (Bingo ! ), this perhaps may be the one to be used for taking a mold. But there remains the challenge of using a self made model,,, The problem I have, is the missing experience with making tiny silicone molds for the resin cast. Probably have to learn by doing...

Nils

post-3445-0-09850100-1469178493_thumb.jpg

the figurines are scale 1:160 in an 1:144 boat
the model comes without rudder and oars and is a beautiful little model of a heritage lifeboat

post-3445-0-04360300-1469178495_thumb.jpg

60 mm long to fit neatly in the spaces on the boats deck

post-3445-0-80903400-1469179805_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-30550300-1469179808_thumb.jpg
Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

You could ask Kees de Mol from this thread: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10339-kw88-pelikaan-by-kees-de-mol-dutch-beamtrawler-1999-scale-175/page-1 He has been making a lot of molds for that model ... besides it is a new challenge(!) something we should embrace in model building, right!?

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nils,

You could ask Kees de Mol from this thread: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10339-kw88-pelikaan-by-kees-de-mol-dutch-beamtrawler-1999-scale-175/page-1 He has been making a lot of molds for that model ... besides it is a new challenge(!) something we should embrace in model building, right!?

Cheers

Thank you Carl, much appreciated,

I`ll keep in mind to ask Kees, when the time for boatsfabrication arrives..., relating to the challenge, I`m always open for innovative techniques, as far as I can do with my humble toolpark

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update....

the fastening of the deck-edgerail works fine, its also quite riged afterwards. The wooden deck will end about 2 mm away from the rail edge, so that partialy the railing on the aft boatsdeck portion finds a good hold, and same time its a good waterlead all around the deck

Nils

post-3445-0-36788900-1469296813_thumb.jpg

preparing for the soldering work

post-3445-0-00534400-1469296816_thumb.jpg

the rail must be kept down on the spacer tubes and fixed there during soldering

post-3445-0-88750400-1469296817_thumb.jpg

the overstanding stanchions will be clipped off, before the deck goes on

post-3445-0-06761900-1469296820_thumb.jpg

now the most tricky part is done (aft boatsdeck edge-rail)

post-3445-0-36659200-1469296822_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks for your kind comment Bob,

I`m pleased you like it....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils, She is looking long and lean in those two photos !  Really coming together nicely. I don't envy you having to make so many boats for the boat deck . While I struggle to make two boats for my project :D

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Hi Nils

Its nice to see another overall photo of such a graceful vessel that you are detailing so well, the design you have chosen certainly speaks of its era.

Apart from your dexterity and attention to detail  I admire the way you proceed through the build without detailed plans for each step as I would need - you seem to have a project workflow all laid out in your head as I haven't seen you miss anything that required a back track through work you have completed. Enjoying the journey thanks for having me along.

Cheers pete

many thanks to Steve, Grant, John, Patrick, Pete, Albert

and all the "likes"

Steve,

thanks for your comment, glad the model is liked by yourself

Grant,

nice compliment, much appreciated

John,

Thanks for the compliment, I`ll try to remember enclosing an overall status view now and then

Patrick,

I`m very pleased it finds your approval

Pete,

your kind words and your compliments are much appreciated, I also  liked the part  of  "....project workflow all laid out in the head....", because its realy so

only without fine details, then I work with scetches...and looking up semi-material (profiles and so) I can use

Albert,

thanks for your compliment, I`m pleased you like it....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Back from vacation, and the Kaiser is just what means "The Great"!!

Fine work as ever............

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Hi Gerhard,

thanks for your word, Hope you had a pleasant and enjoyable vacation

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils

Abslouley! We wrer in the Eastern Tyrol Mountains, bad weather for some days, but silence and best air at about 1600 meters. NO PC or laptop, no cellphones with us, just recover from the home renovation works. We needed that :cheers:

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Beautiful work Nils.  That soldering is really outstanding.  And the crewman with the binoculars must be proud to serve on such a handsome vessel.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Beautiful work Nils.  That soldering is really outstanding.  And the crewman with the binoculars must be proud to serve on such a handsome vessel.

Cheers,

Martin

thank you Martin,

I was soldering with my most powerful iron here, in order to get enough heat to the metal enabling and the solder flow. Was too anxious to use the gastorch so close to the painted parts....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils if you are going to resin cast you little lifeboats, don't be tempted to use the high speed setting kind. There are problems with the material setting too fast to allow air bubbles to escape. Use a slower setting resin. I discovered this while trying to make landing craft for a 1/192 Victory ship. The resin is a little expensive but when you need to make a quantity of things it works out pretty nice. Also you might want to check Shapeways for already printed 3D boats.    Bill in IdahoBeautiful work By The Way

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Nils,

If you don't mind using plastic sheet you might consider using the model boat that you bought to vacuum form the boats. I would led recommend forming them in port and starboard halves. You would have to cut your model longitudinally in half. When the formed halves are cut from the flat sheet you have a nice little flange on each side to glue together that can then be shaped for the keel. The thwarts and air tank top can then be cut out as sa third piece and glued into the top.with your abilities, I'm sure that you would have no trouble mass producing them.

If you have not used vacuum forming it is simple, and foolproof. A shop vacuum provides plenty of suction. You can produce a wonderfully light delicate boat that will look even better than the model that you bought.

Roger

G'day Nils

Been away in hospital for 3 weeks and I couldn't read any logs on NRG site.

But I've spent over 2 hours reading and absorbing you marvelous entries. I agree with everyone and I wish I can see this marvelous model with my own eyes.

Regarding the life boats you really don't need to put any seating etc in them, because they should have a cover on each of them to stop the rain etc. This is what I did on the 4 boats on my endeavor.

Havagooday my mate.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thank you very much Bill, Roger, and Greg,

and all the "likes"

Bill,

thank you for your suggestion to use slow curing resin, I`ll bear that in mind when I begin the boat casting....

Roger,

thanks to you, that tip is also very much appreciated, you make it sound so easy to make.....

Greg,

yes Greg, I was thinking of leaving the boats seating away, and had already made  a wooden cover (as canvas). A strong fender rope should go round the sheer. Perhaps I would take one or two boats only with drawn back covers, providing sight to the interior

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed