HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1/4" scale

Mike:  I made the stove as well.  It's a great, well made kit.  Only problem I had are with those very small, and breakable, parts to hold the pulley system.

Your effort looks great.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

I forgot to mention this in my last post. .

I made the angle for the drain pipes by placing a drain on each side of a toothpick and then sanded the desired angle.

Winchelsea_0157.thumb.jpg.576dec6423b92128dcded6fa27994a5d.jpg

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 12:13 PM, Mldixon said:

Were all the deck guns on the Winnie 12 pounders?

The QD guns are smaller.

I started working on the forecastle area of the ship. The first four beams are in along with lodging knees, hanging knees, carlings, cat tails and the manger. To my count there were 32 individual pieces needed for the work so far.

The manger which consists of 12 pieces was assembled as one. A card stock template along with layered blue masking tape was used to establish the location for the boards which will sit on the deck. Btw, those char lines on the bowsprit step are no longer visible. They were blocked out with some boxwood color mix that was applied before painting the manger red. Also, those arrows show where I drilled for the next gun carriage.

Winchelsea_0162.thumb.jpg.76fc555c03a3c398bb020d1812bf3823.jpg

Winchelsea_0163.thumb.jpg.54dec6c883c130367f65659cfc3f9170.jpg

Winchelsea_0169.thumb.jpg.d0131d3fe9274a7fb3bbb4fb343b39d6.jpg

Winchelsea_0170.thumb.jpg.acfc40cf69cb52d62a649b239fc508e4.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Great explanation and execution Mike!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Well done, thanks for sharing your technique for planning it out.

What is a “boxwood color mix” to cover the char before painting?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Using Windsor and Newton,  I mixed some yellow ochre, Raw sienna and burnt umber into white until the desired boxwood color was achieved. 

• 4 weeks later...

Fore bitt sheaves: Rather than trying to round off the existing laser cut sheave slots, I prefer to simulate the sheaves with wooded disks.

There are 2 sheave slots on these bitts. One is 1/32" wide and the other is 3/64" wide. I used "plastic cutting" end mills to deepen the slots an additional 3/32". This allows for the disk to be recessed slightly after being inserted into the slot. Though not essential, I find that a milling machine makes things a lot easier when doing this kind of work.

The diameter of the disks are equal to the length of the slot between the sheave holes. The thickness of the disks are the same as the width of the milled slot. This allows for a press fit into the slot without any gluing being necessary. If for some reason they are a tad loose going in, just brush in some W-O-P in order to hold the disk in place.

After inserting the disk, the inside area should be painted black. Any paint that gets onto the face of the bitt can be sanded or scraped off easily with a #11 blade. For added protection you could give the outer area a coat of W-O-P to prevent the paint from seeping into the wood.

The slot has been deepened an additional 3/32" which allows the disk to recess below the face of the bitt

Winchelsea_0176.thumb.jpg.20c69bd13c94bfef45fe093c7b62d1e3.jpg

Note the orientation of the grain. This makes it easy to slice off the tiny section of the disk with a #11 blade.

Winchelsea_0174.thumb.jpg.f38c831555c313986791b8b80bf06f5f.jpg

A helping hand to insert the disk into the slot

Winchelsea_0175.thumb.jpg.f87f63c61ef43294f97053490065512a.jpg

Mike

With chapter eight completed I thought it would be a good time to post some photos. Please excuse the dust.

Winchelsea_0178.thumb.jpg.430c3552eae36a9122a03990ae1c2b1c.jpg

Winchelsea_0179.thumb.jpg.c6fbf0052e290fdaf2d8eeb5335533f7.jpg

Winchelsea_0180.thumb.jpg.fcbb38a979dd470c8903486d22b03d52.jpg

Mike

Moving onto chapter 9, I decided to start with the caprail along the waist. I've completed one side. What's interesting is what I had to do in order to get the caprail close to the scroll molding which it sits against at both ends. It was tricky and took some time to do. I'm happy with the result. 

Each end had to be shaped like this. .

Winchelsea_0187.thumb.jpg.c1433a36b24dcc1475aba0344827251a.jpg

Winchelsea_0190.thumb.jpg.7bcff3cb979f633a19e746bd64bbe82b.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Excellent work Mike...as always! Is it me or is there a small section of your moulding missing along the waist? 

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Yup! Your the first one to spot that. Those areas will be where the fenders are going.

Mike

That’s really excellent detailed work on the cap rail. I hope to borrow that some day. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Ok thanks, that’s kinda what I was thinking but I don’t have my drawings nearby for reference. Looking good!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Some very fine joinery on a standard-setting build! Love following your work Mike

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Beautiful work, Mike. Your photos are also amazing and sharp. What camera do you use? 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Just my older Nikon D5100 with a 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. A tripod of course.

Mike

3 hours ago, Stuntflyer said:

A tripod of course.

This makes ALL the difference, especially with Macro.

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on chapter nine with some of the forecastle planking completed. W-O-P has not been applied which makes it harder to see the butt joints. Hopefully you will see enough to get the idea. That center piece behind the bollards was made that way which makes it easier to hold. The grain runs port and starboard. This makes it easier to slice off that long tab after the glue dries.

Winchelsea_0198-3.thumb.jpg.726fb2db10700c22b44d3ee6c95bbd1f.jpg

Winchelsea_0197-2.thumb.jpg.aefbd3c86769a8dbc0e90179d19eb631.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer