HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1/4" scale

I'm feeling good about finally completing the forecastle planking. It probably doesn't seem like it, but work in the center area can be tricky. Getting those planks that sit snug around the deck fittings required some forethought and constant tweaking. The bitts and stove stack are not glued in. Next I will do the waterway, W-O-P the outer deck area and then the cap rail.

Winchelsea_0206.thumb.jpg.9cd00c56dd6b02bda7bca48d7fb68466.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Wonderful! It is always so precise and perfect!

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

On 4/3/2020 at 12:05 PM, Stuntflyer said:

tools I used for shaping the scraper. .

Mike,

Do you have a photo of the actual scraper you used for molding? You have such a great profile. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you all for the kind words and for all the “Likes”.

Glenn, I used more than one scraper. Can you be more specific as to which molding you are referring to?

Happy New Year! Mike 

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

I forget comments are put at the end…. I was admiring your stern, you showed some of the tools you used to make the scraper for it, it was that one I was asking about.  I’ve not made anything with that much depth and tiered so well. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Okay, Glenn.

Here is the scraper profile that I used on the transom and QG. I used the shape from the contemporary model as a guide.

DSCF5488.JPG.bf412008c2028addc0f5d1307253aadf.JPG

1186698144_Transom-QGscraper.thumb.jpg.1e059b2d88038166cd1f8cfdb748d4ef.jpg

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

QD planking: I thought that it might be a good idea to mention an issue that I ran into recently. Using the provided template, I tried to shape each plank using a trace and sand method. After adding all three planks I noticed that the innermost plank ended up with a slight "S" curve. This meant that one or more of the planks where not shaped correctly. I suppose I could have left things as they were since the 4 guns that would be on the deck would mask most of it. Well, who was I kidding!

Although stressful to think about, I pulled all the planks off the deck including the margin plank. The margin was never glued to the bulwarks, so no damage was done to the red paint. I had to pull it since it was coated with glue and pencil marks. Trying to clean it only ended up softening the crisp edge and that would never do. So, I replaced the margin plank.

I cut away the margin plank from the planking template and placed the three plank template against the margin plank. To my surprise the template conformed nicely to the shape of the margin plank. I ran masking tape along the template edge. Lastly, I used tick marks between the tape and margin plank to get the run of the three planks.

I was determined to keep things as neat as possible. There is no trace of the original planking work. I think that the extra work was worth the effort and thankfully everything looks good now, I think! 😁

_DSC0224.thumb.jpg.ba6c5240d78e1c1d0d6a646c569f9a59.jpg

_DSC0225.thumb.jpg.7853f558ec0080d9b9e1cac3508e942a.jpg

Mike

Everything looks perfect as usual Mike! And I know the feeling of 'trying to get away with something'. It never works for me. So if I don't like something on my model I don't argue with myself any longer (just prolonging the agony) and redo it right away 🙂

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

I've finally managed to get some more of the forecastle work completed.  Only a few fittings left to do.

At the aft end of the Fcastle rail there is a short piece which is added on. I decided to strengthen the joint by adding a strip between the two pieces. Final sanding was completed after the glue dried overnight.

_DSC0234.thumb.jpg.c8ea51b998a55f1888bf2dce615683fc.jpg

The rail was assembled and painted before installation. Due to some of the timberheads fitting snug into the cap rail below, I left the bottom of each one unpainted. I raised the rail slightly in this photo to show that.

_DSC0239.thumb.jpg.f43aae6f59f3d6c625caf95751dea1fb.jpg

Any bare wood showing after gluing was easily touched up.

_DSC0248.thumb.jpg.3e9a6ea0dd2be519ba4dd08677809fde.jpg

The catheads were easy enough to make. I picked the ones that seemed to have the most consistent laser cut sheaves. I did my best to align the catheads with the short extension below deck. The breast beam had to be scratch built. It was done in such a way as to insure that it ran below the level of the cap rail its entire length.

_DSC0247.thumb.jpg.ec737c729e73a5fa7478e3f01269c025.jpg

_DSC0245.thumb.jpg.f6149b475c8f28259b2ba4ff17c09bda.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Great work Mike! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Simply very beautiful work, again.

I know the feeling when having to pull a plank, or more...

Taking a deep breath and start again, specially with those special shaped ones.

But afterwards you have that rewarded feeling when all conforms to the plans in your head: and the plans.

Yours is still a very high benchmark for all of us Mike!

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

I mitered the molding that wraps around the uprights using the disc sander.

I used this method on a longer piece.

belfry_1.thumb.jpg.cde3eae53ffbe9300f5d3224a6fc99ed.jpg

Though I used a long piece for the photo, I used this method when the length was short. Push the stick up to until the desired length is achieved.

belfry_2.thumb.jpg.d970b52bc0e4a2a5bb49e1d86f16abb9.jpg

Once the uprights where completed, I used a jig to register the holes for the headstock which sits between the uprights.belfry_3.thumb.jpg.e26a7fa7bea7cde038ab1f569a352078.jpg

Jigs like this help to align and hold everything together during assembly. 

belfry_4.jpg.64daca70db04d3d30ea1666a69f38cfc.jpg

A left over beam was used simulate the actual positioning of the belfry rail as seen on the ship. This makes it easy to see if the timberheads are at the correct angle to the deck. Tweaks where needed.

102826776_belfryrail_1.thumb.jpg.13b172b4194e20ecce9e2efa30bfb86c.jpg

I backed the jig with another strip in order to add the "L" shaped piece. This keeps it inline with the timberheads.

2083036706_belfryrail_2.thumb.jpg.6a3bd3d1e5c0ff89e987b47f8fe8fb14.jpg

I added the cover boards for the stove stack along with other fittings to complete chapter nine.

Winchelsea_0260.thumb.jpg.1a21697c4c2ccbd72c97701da1b4a281.jpg

Winchelsea_0261.thumb.jpg.a3d0abc97515765374c5767aac2b4b36.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Stunning work, Mike. It's perfection. Work that inspires and motivates us. Thank you !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Mike,

Your workmanship is superb!  Vet clean and tight.  You can see great craftmanship when you blow up that photo to 2 or 3 times actual scale and not see any tooling marks, fuzziness, or imperfections.  Truly a beauty to behold..

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

This is superb. But what, can I ask, are you planning to do with the tops of the bollard timbers? You seem to have followed the plan meticulously in every respect except for those -  where you did your own thing from the outset. I suspect you have a plan and I'm intrigued to know what it is.

In passing - I do envy you Americans your "February meet". Lucky fellows to be able to get together.

All the best

Fred Healey 

Thank guys for the kind words and for all the "Likes".

Fred, when I made the bollards, I was presented with two choices regarding the shape. The plan is to add a swivel gun to the top of each one.

Mike