USS Arizona by popeye the sailor - Revell - 1:426 scale - PLASTIC

I noticed that the model of the Arizona doesn't have the addition of the armor belt as is seen on the Pennsylvania.  I wonder if the modernization of these capital ships did not include this mod at that time and so therefor the model doesn't depict it?

I have some amazing pics of the Arizona when she was being dismantled where she lay after the attack.  Not sure if they will help.

It is also amazing that the 12 14" guns in their triple turrets did not move independently of one another...all three guns moved as one unit.

Great subject Dennis and you're doing a magnificent job....love the Arizona.  I built her several times myself.

Rob 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

thanks Rob for the added pictures.........you can post the pictures of her after Pearl,  but I likely won't need them.   between all the sites I've got bookmarked,  I have enough ;)   in all the pictures I've seen so far,  very few actually show her with blast bags.  there are a few pictures though that show here with bags on turret 2.   this may be because in the 30's,  during one of her gun practices,  combustion gasses blew back into the turret injuring one sailor.  a fire started a short time later,  due to water getting into the electricals.  they had turned on the sprinklers to keep the black powder from igniting.   the armor belt only covered the important areas of the hull...................Krupp armor,  about 13.5 inches thick.  when the modernization at Norfolk took place,  more was added,  and the deck was beefed up too.   yes......the three guns worked simultaneously......likely didn't have the technology back then ;) 

interesting site Lou.......yea....I'll need to sift through it  ;)   I haven't got the decals yet,  but I think there is a color scheme listing in it as well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Steve :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

a little more progress..........the hull is completely painted now

1491892827_1.jpg.11a0afce92ef0bd8f8708123991e5cb9.jpg

as mentioned,  the paint I mixed was junk,  so I just did her up in battleship gray........fitting,  I think  ;)   as can be seen,  I also started to paint the details on deck.   the casements were first for the super structure,,,the barbettes will be next.

1526163586_2.jpg.18dcc8f50affe897ab0b17917ec4fe2d.jpg

..on a brighter note.........I received the decals for the planes today.   they look really good!

861097386_3.jpg.868dca2f06f39767af9afc1530d714ac.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

If I am seeing the decal sheet properly, it looks like you have three sizes of 1941 stars and at least two sizes of letters. Should be able to come up with a workable solution out of that. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

using the seagulls Lou,  I have to stay before 41........the Kingfishers were used at that time.   there are about four different scales on the sheet.....letters and numbers too........and they are dated which makes it a lot easier { you can hardly read it,  but it is noticeable}.   the gent who I got the idea from,  did his planes with white tail {stabilizers and rudder} and black cowl.  I believe the Arizona was red........the Pennsylvania was blue.  full cowl with a line around the fuselage was SON 1........top half of the cowl was SON 2,  and bottom half of the cowl was SON 3...these other two did not have the line around the fuselage.  if I had gotten the other decal sheet {might have come with a resin plane too},  it would have had all these other decal bits.....but I'll settle for the insignias.......stress in moderation is good  ;)   perhaps I can fudge something up for them.

I did the repaint on that one turret.......it's good........I'm happy :)   that was the last vestige of the paint I mixed.   I've painted the tops red.......I said the heck with it and painted turret #3 too.  haven't done much more with her.....I'll update again when I can get some quality time in on her.   thanks for look'in in every one....I appreciate the interest  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Caught up with you Denis.  Interesting build of a great ship.  Thanks for all the added informoation.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

On 7/6/2019 at 6:26 PM, popeye the sailor said:

using the seagulls

I knew that Denis but I think the Seagulls were not replaced until mid or late 1940 on the battleships at Pearl Even though they had pretty bright paintjobs they would still have has the red spot star on the wings.

"The Curtiss SOC floatplanes show how colorful the aircraft could be. The red empennage identifies the plane as belonging to Observation Squadron One (VO-1B) assigned to Battleship Division One of the Battle Fleet. The white engine cowls and chevron on the top of the upper wing show they are the second section of the squadron which was based on board the Nevada (the second ship in the division). The first, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth sections were to be identified with the colors red,blue, black, green, and yellow. The ship's name is also applied to the rear of the fuselage. The colored band around the fuselage identifies the section leader, as does the fully painted engine cowl. Number two wingman has the top half of the cowl painted, while number three has the bottom half painted. The squadron number, type, and aircraft number are shown on the side of the fuselage, as is the squadron insignia. In the event a plane was forced down, the yellow top surface of the wing was an aid in locating the aircraft. Introduced in 1934, these SOC floatplanes served into the early days of World War II, and were the last combat biplanes in the Navy to serve with the fleet."

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

013933w.jpg.6c9bc0cb95ca50f460c541ac242e8338.jpg

this photo was likely taken in 1938.  kinda gives you an idea of their markings.   another picture,  shows that the insignias were on both wing undersides,  as well as on the top wing......the instruction directs that a 'navy' decal goes on the wings.

013936.thumb.jpg.354f79e592905dc0675e721e72d4a319.jpg

this was taken in 1941.......

013935a.jpg.047cfbbf07e121cea33b7dd47647e3ce.jpg

note the name on the fuselage ;)    that's why I ordered the decals.....the American insignia went through  many changes through the years.  I wanted to get the right one.  I could have made them with the decal maker,  but so many decal sets are coming with a bluish background to the paper they use.  another thing to notice here is that there are no red markings.........I suspect this is when the Navy  stopped identifying the battle ships with the turret markings {painted tops}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did some mess'in 'round with the model today........started off,  I just felt destructive :ph34r:    so I removed the railings from a few parts.

492096253_1.jpg.03344ec1260d9d6c1ddc8337293f0791.jpg

I began with the big part...guess you could call it the third level ........I only removed the front part of the casements.  it's a weird shape......and they just had to mold those two guns on deck.    ....could have upped the parts count by two! :rolleyes:

170947718_2.jpg.639657105af0c48df55ac2027d148bf7.jpg

now......I have information that there was another building on the second level deck.......in between the two existing structures.    I was going to add it,  but then I changed my mind,  since it would hardly be seen.  I changed my mind yet again........

572755831_3.jpg.39c3e33ff36ad7aec5b10afcf3be2d33.jpg

yup! ...........added PE doors on it too,  I did.  the third level was painted......and cemented in place.  depending on the light........yea,  it's hard to see.

1464640432_4.jpg.b0d1ec3299434db9a674df2accb19ed5.jpg

you can barely make out the door.........it can be seen a bit better in this shot.....

1414890634_5.jpg.05514820987a32cf4890634a78647ad9.jpg

as mentioned,  I did paint the turrets

947538462_6.jpg.346c5fa7e6c63f61921af6483232ad14.jpg

I painted the other smaller guns and the search lights too.   I'm going to check to see if I can use the part of the original catapult,  that has the locator pins.  it doesn't say so in the directions I got with the PE,  but it makes sense ;) 

1841792434_7.jpg.b45db10cb961f7d6839147b86e00a8c3.jpg

I'll see if I can get more done :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

made some more progress on her to report.   I'm still play'in with the PE........a bit of a funny.   I dropped one of the pieces and got down with the flashlight to look for it.   lo and behold,  I found the part that I had lost earlier.   I'll put it on the deck catapult later on.   railings were added to one of the mast platforms.

1338021963_1.jpg.84b18a5eacf2422dde8964876013f477.jpg

then I did the platform that sits on the funnel.  there is more to go on the funnel,  but the part is in place.

519963328_2.jpg.f6134e098d8867a1c3fc5ef4ad521fd0.jpg

I'll be filling the windows in with window maker.   I also worked on the two mast structures,  trying to square up all the windows on them........that's a lost cause.  I did notice some PE on the Hood sheets.......perhaps I can dress them up if I have enough.  the idea with the turret catapult.........I dug out the catapult and cut the bottom part out of it........I started to cut it out here.

721606955_3.jpg.cdfc109dc500d4946148a34362f22aa5.jpg

it is a little bit narrower than the PE catapult.......at least I can use it as a guide.   I did manage to move the sled for the plane......thanks to Lou for mentioning that to me.   the instructions are wrong.

1117816125_4.jpg.f758b62b3d97abee65b399118258e2fb.jpg

the next level for the main structure was railed off at this time.

386966064_5.jpg.003ddd4b9096bf1f0eeb664d33f15d74.jpg

I also added ladders to the funnel.  I didn't bother to file them out........they make them stand out better.

357646927_6.jpg.f10c97f691a28feeb5d196257eac6c58.jpg

in the background there......I played around with some of the other PE from the Hood set.   whatever I can use off the set........I'm hoping it's a lot :) 

thanks for the likes and look'in in!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thats great work denis  - boy  is that pe a real pain sometimes  -  especially the railings  - have you sworn yet.....

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks John :) 

swear?!?!.....me..............nawwwwwwww!  there are no bibles around ;)   now.......if you were referring to cuss or curse.........well then.........I guess I'm gonna burn for it  :D  :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

thanks John :) 

swear?!?!.....me..............nawwwwwwww!  there are no bibles around ;)   now.......if you were referring to cuss or curse.........well then.........I guess I'm gonna burn for it  :D  :ph34r:

You're doing a fabulous job with the PE Popeye....  All those micro bends and stuff....... Your Arizona is looking smart....  Luv it.

No one burns for uttering curses....my friend...just for rejecting J.C.  That's all together another subject for another forum.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

thanks Kevin........I'm only doing some of the railings.   I've seen models that have different degrees of modification.  I want to make sure I have enough for the hull,  so I'm being selective.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Rob :)   I'm getting better.........it's practice.  the more one does...thanks for the good word :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You found the missing piece from Vendetta!? She's growing steadily ... the bling does her well, she does need it at this scale, plastic is far to course ... but then ... coarse suits you, just as much as fine does. Details are getting better an' better ... You really are "a man of all trades" 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

hi there Carl  :)    no,  the part was for the deck catapult......I think I subbed in another part,  but if I still need it,  at least now I have it!   I haven't given up on the Vendetta.......she still resides on the table.  I'm using the Arizona to give me a little more practice with PE,  before I continue on her.   

I went a little further.......after painting the funnel,  I filled the windows in with the window maker.

1718203031_1.jpg.c4164fd02b18dc0fe57c6308a11706f5.jpg

there's still more to go before the funnel is finished.  the third level was added to the structure.

730216200_2.jpg.492a3c267152da2af102a45102926791.jpg

I touched up the red on the turret tops.......here's a cheeky picture of one on deck.

826441784_3.jpg.64122f19b5153d07d8e6e7f62eba6780.jpg

the part for the turret catapult and the catapult itself were painted.   gotta get this in place........handling it,  I already had to repair it once.

1655260514_4.jpg.702a758ed7c6daa40c830530e513de84.jpg

the planes were painted with light ghost gray.

1296103903_5.jpg.f7000deed1c19a7a9bf88396586c5dd3.jpg

the catapult bar was cemented on the turret...........the catapult will be next.

1761946677_6.jpg.f383c482e7d6d45cc25358953492e775.jpg

I've been painting other parts as well........gotta get back to the deck though.  I need to do the railings,  so I can see if I have enough to continue with the structure.  painted the top wings on the planes.......needs another coat ;) 

1279453212_7.jpg.5285e299dbf4ea279e8b62441b28670e.jpg

they got the second coat.......they look much better :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Have to agree  - you are doing a  sterling  job on her.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

First off, you are doing a stellar job on this build!  And secondly, if you need any parts off this kit, let me know.  I'm planing on using my kit to build her as she is now.  This only requires the hull, main decks, the second deck, and two turrets.  The rest is up for grabs.  I have been watching your build only recently and have enjoyed your hurdle jumping.  Keep up the good work, and like the frog choking the crane, 'never give up'.

Great going Denis, you'll do her justice I'm sure.

Cheers.

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks for the continued interest.......I know I haven't been flowing with the updates.  this week {end} of mine has been busy........I've finally found a bit of time to devote to her.   these past few days though,  I've noticed that I crushed some of the railings on the second level from all the handling,  and I've worked to fix them.  now that I have them repaired,  I need to get this on the deck,  so I don't have to handle it any more.  this puts the squeeze play on getting the deck straightened out and painted.  so I guess I need to get my fanny perpendicular,  and get busy with it ;) 

admirable Ziggy that your going to do the memorial........probably should have switched gears on mine {I was almost there} ;)   no.....I won't give up.  I think with the mods I'm doing,  it might end up an interesting model.   a major part of me says sure......send 'em my way,  but I would post them in the buy / sell forum to see if anyone else needs them.  I'm not too sure who else is building this kit.   thanks for the offer....I think your going to fit right in with everyone here........welcome to MSW :722972270:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for the welcome and advise. I once visited Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial back in the '70's when I was 12. I bought the book 'Tora, tora, tora' and the Revell model kit as souvenirs back then. I still remember the huge scale model of her at the memorial. But then I saw online a large scale model of the memorial and the Arizona as she is now. That's what I want to model. Model Shipways makes a 426/429 scale version of the memorial and is on my wish list. I have a kit of the Arizona in my stash, just waiting!