Jump to content

Cruiser Varyag 1901 by Valeriy V - scale 1:75


Recommended Posts

Cruiser "Varyag"  1901 :

    Builder :   William Cramp & Sons , Philadelphia

    Displacement:    6,500 t

    Length:    129.6 m

    Beam:    15.8 m 

    Draught:    6.3 m

    Armament:    
12 × 1 - 152 mm (6 in) guns
12 × 1 - 75 mm (3.0 in) guns
8 × 1 - 47 mm (1.9 in) guns
2 × 1 - 37 mm (1.5 in) guns
6 × 1 - 381 mm (15.0 in) above-water torpedo tubes (1 bow, 1 stern, 2 per side)

 

 

 

1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

     The model will be completely built of wood and metal. Plastic parts are not applicable. Fiberglass is used only to insert the wooden case of the model.

      The model will be built in the style of the museum. This photo shows an analogue of this style. This 1:48 scale model is kept in St. Petersburg, in the Central Naval Museum.

 

  There are very few metal ships on the forum. I will try to add a little.  ☺️

2.jpg

Edited by Valeriy V
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lmagna said:

Hello Valeriy

 

A very unique, picturesque and notable ship. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your build.

Hi, Lou.

This ship and its crew are heroes of the Russian-Japanese war. Every person in Russia knows about them.

However, the number of reliable drawings is very small. Quality photos are also very small, because the ship was not long in the Russian fleet.

According to archival drawings and old photos, I make my plan.

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

unfortunately,  that problem plagues us all.......building models with very little documentation or pictures.  looks like your off to a very good start though  ;)    wish I was that good with a computer.........luckily,  I manage to get by building out on my head :D   very nice hull frames!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Valeriy V said:

This ship and its crew are heroes of the Russian-Japanese war.

She is a ship that should have interest to many. She was built in the United States, served in Russia, then repaired and served in Japan, then returned to Russia. Much like the story of the USS. Wake river gunboat in WWII. I have read about her in my books and look forward to seeing how she looks like in your build. Your plans look very professional.

Edited by lmagna
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

unfortunately,  that problem plagues us all.......building models with very little documentation or pictures.  looks like your off to a very good start though  ;)    wish I was that good with a computer.........luckily,  I manage to get by building out on my head :D   very nice hull frames!

Yes this. But everything is relative.  :) 
For example, for the battleship USS Mine there are 553 plans. And they are freely available. https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=*:*&f.parentNaId=53484484&f.level=item&sort=naIdSort asc

 

For Varyag only 30 plans, and they are not available freely.  ;)  

Frames cut on a laser machine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lmagna said:

She is a ship that should have interest to many. She was built in the United States, served in Russia, then repaired and served in Japan, then returned to Russia. Much like the story of the USS. Wake river gunboat in WWII. I have read about her in my books and look forward to seeing how she looks like in your build.

It is very nice to know that you are interested in the history of the Russian Imperial Navy. :) 

10.jpg

Edited by Valeriy V
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, druxey said:

Is there a reason you are building the model in two halves, Valeriy? Lovely work so far.

Yes, there is a reason. This method avoids the appearance of torsional deformations. This refers to long hulls. 

In addition, it is so convenient to put the frames correctly. 

 

Thanks for the support.  :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Frames cut on a laser machine.

I wondered about that when I saw what appeared to be charring on the frames. I have a great interest in the pre-Dreadnought era ships -- fascinating that so many Russian ships were built in American yards, while the Japanese ships were built in England.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

 I have a great interest in the pre-Dreadnought era ships -- fascinating that so many Russian ships were built in American yards, while the Japanese ships were built in England.

I am glad to welcome you, colleague.
The Americans built 2 ships for Russia, the cruiser Varyag and the ironclad Retvizan. Both ships are very beautiful.

3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I had the 1/200 Orel card model of Retvizan at one point, but decided to part with it when my stash needed thinning. Orel makes some great models, but their after-market detail sets are PE brass, and I prefer to work with the laser-cut card detail sets produced by HMV.

Yes, I am familiar with this company and its owner, Mikhail Orel. He has a complex and high-quality paper models.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...