HMS Vulture 1776 by Dan Vadas - 1:48 scale - 16 gun "Swan" class sloop from TFFM plans - Finished

Thanks for the comments once again George, Robin, Mark, Greg, David, Russell, Maury, H, Jihn, Mark and Carl :) .

Robin, I don't have any more pics other than what I have in this build log - sorry.

Topsail Yard Tyes

Before going into the construction of the Topsail Yard Tyes a warning to others building from TFFM - there is an error in their rigging, pointed out to me by none other than the author David Antscherl. Unfortunately this error was pointed out just as I had completed them :( . No biggie, I just pulled the whole lot apart and re-did them. At least this gave me an extra couple of days working on the model :D .

TFFM has you rigging the topsail tyes in similar fashion to the lower yards, whereas they use a DOUBLE block on the yard. The standing end of the Tye, one each side, circles the topmast and lashes back to itself via an eye. It then goes through one of the sheaves in the double block on the yard, up to the tye block under the top, and down to a double block for the tackle. The other side does the same.

The tye block has two buntline blocks lashed to it's top :

Topsail Yard Tyes 007.jpg

Topsail Yard Tyes 023.jpg

An overall view of the tye rigging :

Topsail Yard Tyes 018.jpg

Topsail Yard Tyes 019.jpg

The blocks under the top :

Topsail Yard Tyes 010.jpg

The double blocks on the ends of the tye falls :

Topsail Yard Tyes 024.jpg

The lower end of the tackle has a single block on a pendant which hooks into a ringbolt in the channels on either side. The fall of the tackle belays to a convenient timberhead. This is the main topsail tackle :

Topsail Yard Tyes 012.jpg

Topsail Yard Tyes 014.jpg

And the fore one :

Topsail Yard Tyes 025.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Sort of a bummer TFFM let you down, but a good thing David let you know about the error. Looks great! 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nice catch Danny, and beautifully executed. Glad to hear you enjoyed your "bonus" couple of days on the model. ;)

Thank you very much for the note about the error in TFFM

(even the masters are due their one misteak)

Printed out your correction description and inserted it between the pages of my volume copy for future reference!

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Some very impressive rigging there Danny - a pleasure to view.  Hopefully one day I might get back up to the Port Mac show and catch sight of this beauty in all its glory.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

G'day Danny

Another display of excellence, what more can I say!

Robin, Danny's log as I can see has the most step by step photos anywhere. I know what you mean I think, you would like more because you don't want it to stop! Who does, NO ONE!

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks again for the kind comments George, Grant, Allan, Pat, Greg, Kees and Alex :) .

Parrels

The Parrels act as bearings to enable the yard to be raised and lowered more easily.

Construction of these starts by PVA gluing together the Ribs in two stacks. This way they can be very accurately drilled and shaped symmetrically. The ones on the right have been finished :

Parrels 001.jpg

Once shaped Isopropyl Alcohol is used to separate the individual pieces :

Parrels 003.jpg

The Trucks are turned on the lathe. They are more barrel shaped than round :

Parrels 002.jpg

Next an eye is "spliced" into one end of two lines, and the ribs and trucks are fed onto them :

Parrels 005.jpg

The two eyes are lashed together around the port side of the yard. The trickiest part of the operation is lashing the lines around the mast. They go over the parrels 3 times and tie around each other. Lots of care needed not to damage anything, like breaking off yards etc   :huh:  :

Parrels 006.jpg

Parrels 008.jpg

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Just want to say, Dan, that I've used this method of yours for cleats (after your posting on cleats) and it's such an elegant solution for consistent width and height of small pieces. Thanks a lot!

Tony

Glad to be of help Tony :) .

Topsail Yard Lifts

As with the lower yard lifts these are used to square the yard. They attach a little differently to the lower ones.

Topsail Yard Lifts 001.jpg

A Span fitted with a thimble at each end is clove-hitched around the topmast cap :

Topsail Yard Lifts 002.jpg

The thimbles at the ends of the span are lashed to thimbles in the standing ends of the lifts :

Topsail Yard Lifts 004.jpg

Then the lifts go through the lift blocks on the ends of the yard, up through the lower sheaves of the sister blocks lashed to the shrouds, and belay to the aftmost cleats on the lower part of the shrouds :

Topsail Yard Lifts 006.jpg

Topsail Yard Lifts 009.jpg

Topsail Yard Lifts 007.jpg

Cheers, Danny

G'day Danny

Another beautiful piece of work, I and everyone has said everything we can about this build, but it's still not enough. Well done mate!!!

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks George and Greg :) .

Topgallant Yard Parrels

The topgallant yard parrels are smaller versions of the topsail yard ones. MUCH smaller. Here are some of the pieces with a topgallant yard truck and rib for comparison :

Parrels 009.jpg

The parrel attached to the fore yard ready for crossing the yard :

Parrels 010.jpg

Parrels 011.jpg

The topgallant yard lift is seized around the end of the yard rather than to the upper block. There is no lower block. The halyard belays to the aftmost cleat on the topsail shrouds :

Parrels 013.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Looks great Danny, but I wouldn't have expected any thing else.  Like we used to say in the building trades, " If you do a really good job once, they'll expect it all the time".  :D  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

G'day Danny

When you said smaller, you mean smaller. The scale wasn't apparent until you place the 5c piece. Don't sneeze when you are handling them or they will be blown away.

Cheers and Havagooday

Greg

Really wonderful :)

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks George, Dave, Greg (that happened :D and Christian. Robin, I think Druxey explained how they fitted in the post you put up - I don't know any more about them.

The Cat came back  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  !!!

Below are some pics of the damage caused by Pud on his most recent (and hopefully LAST) excursion through my ship. All damage has been repaired, and wasn't quite as bad as it first appeared. The Crowsfoot Euphroe block lashing was the most difficult piece to repair. The whole repair job took me a full morning, but Pud is still alive and well :D

Cat Damage 001.jpg

Cat Damage 002.jpg

Cat Damage 003.jpg

Cheers, Danny

Dan,

Sorry to hear about the damage ... glad it was quickly repaired... maybe be prepared and have a ball of wool ready ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thank heavens I only have a small dog who can't jump up on the bench.   Although anything that hits the floor is hers.... :huh:

That's a very good repair.  Looks like it's never been damaged.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice job on the repairs Danny!  Pud's rigging ability currently leaves something to be desired, but he's learning. Remember, practice makes perfect.   :D  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thanks guys, but the pics above only show the damage, not the repairs (there was damage on TWO masts). Here are the repairs :

Cat Damage Repair 001.jpg

Cat Damage Repair 002.jpg

Cheers, Danny

That's a good recovery job Danny - Pud must have a short life expectancy as that a few lives expended on this build alone ;) (kidding of course - I hope you have many happy years with Pud and the Vulture!)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I might have been a little premature in my "nice job on the repairs" statement Danny, but I already knew you'd have her back ship-shape in no time. But we have to remember Pud's in training and mistakes are inevitable. He's going to be a great helper, specializing in rigging.  :D  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Nice repair but as for Bud he thought it was a natural enemy Vultures and cats do not get along :)

David B

The door, Dan, the door! Please close it so both Pud and you may live out your natural life spans. Your riggers did a good running repair, though.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Oh... I thought the last picture showed the repair..... :blush:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)