FINISHED - TBM3 Avenger by CDW - Trumpeter - 1:32 scale

CDW

All I can say is Wow!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 hour ago, CDW said:

The carrier deck display section is mostly prefabricated, and all I must do is paint and finish it. 

I can't wait to see this diorama, it's going to be fantastic!!!👍😃

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looks like it wants to fly right now..... Absolutely stunning......

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I like the way you did the split canopy, that was hard to do in the 1/48th monogram kit, here it looks real. One half a little bit further forward than the other....

Great build of what looks to be a great kit....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I am stunned, amazed, astounded at how this build is turning out. And to be honest a little jealous as well. I knew that any build you did would turn out fantastic but this one is going to be hard for you to surpass.

24 minutes ago, Egilman said:

I like the way you did the split canopy, that was hard to do in the 1/48th monogram kit,

There are a number of things that have come to light for me in looking in on this build that were not obvious in the Monogram kit.

A more detailed view of the interior of the aircraft early on in the build. Just how large the cockpit and how high the canopy is in relation to the needs of the pilot. Most aircraft have just enough headroom above the pilot's head to clear his helmet so he will not bump it accidentally. All the canopy space behind the pilot that seems totally dedicated to radio or some other gear not for a crewman. I have always considered learning about the details of an aircraft, (Or any model for that matter) as being one of the main advantages of building the model in the first place and this build has provided in spades.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Seeing the details and workmanship so far, I can't wait to see the whole diorama, Greg.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This is another kit with decals that are too old. Not quite as bad as the last couple of kits I built, but bad. Another year, and these would have been totally unusable. It's a shame because otherwise, these were probably pretty decent when the kit first came out. As fate would have it, this aircraft didn't have a lot of markings on it, so I'll get by with what I've got and some touch up paint. The stars and bars decals are huge on this thing, and those are the ones giving me the most trouble.

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Seeing the details and workmanship so far, I can't wait to see the whole diorama, Greg.

9 hours ago, knightyo said:

That canopy work is absolutely gorgeous.

Alan

17 hours ago, lmagna said:

I am stunned, amazed, astounded at how this build is turning out. And to be honest a little jealous as well. I knew that any build you did would turn out fantastic but this one is going to be hard for you to surpass.

There are a number of things that have come to light for me in looking in on this build that were not obvious in the Monogram kit.

A more detailed view of the interior of the aircraft early on in the build. Just how large the cockpit and how high the canopy is in relation to the needs of the pilot. Most aircraft have just enough headroom above the pilot's head to clear his helmet so he will not bump it accidentally. All the canopy space behind the pilot that seems totally dedicated to radio or some other gear not for a crewman. I have always considered learning about the details of an aircraft, (Or any model for that matter) as being one of the main advantages of building the model in the first place and this build has provided in spades.

Thanks for the nice comments gentlemen.

18 minutes ago, CDW said:

As fate would have it, this aircraft didn't have a lot of markings on it, so I'll get by with what I've got and some touch up paint

I was surprised the same thing about the Mitchell CD very few.

16 minutes ago, CDW said:

Hope I can do it justice. Thanks

I am sure you will Sir! ;) Kevin

20 minutes ago, Javlin said:

I was surprised the same thing about the Mitchell CD very few.

I am sure you will Sir! ;) Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

These photos give some idea of the size of the stars and bars. Can you spot the touch ups I had to do on the wing and fuselage insignia's? The one on the wing had the largest boo boo to fix. A large chunk of it would not release from the decal backing paper and tore away from the rest of the decal. 

DSCN3592.jpg.9749c051d3b02774edaaae4e04b07a5a.jpgDSCN3593.jpg.f8a71ec0309409c1120c1116583ccbb2.jpg

If there's flaws, I don't see them.  Looking sharp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There is where the skill shows itself. If it had been me I would have turned what is a really good looking model into total junk at about this point! :(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 minute ago, lmagna said:

There is where the skill shows itself. If it had been me I would have turned what is a really good looking model into total junk at about this point! :(

Sound like my effort  (message to self  - Tamiya Lacquer spray paints do not brush on well  - dry to quick and form ridges)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just a tip for all you modelers out there: for whatever reasons, Citadel makes the absolute best covering white paint I have found. It comes in a little plastic "tin", and can be found in the hobby shop miniatures section. Always keep a tin of it available for brush-on touch ups of white. Covers beautifully and does not leave brush marks when applied properly. I always dry mine with a hair dryer to get it to settle down and blend in with the surrounding white. The decal blue was matched my making a 50:50 mix of Acrysion Navy Blue with Acrysion Blue.

The photo shows the large chunk of decal that tore away from the star and bar and stuck to the paper. This was the worst area that needed a touch up, but there are a few other smaller ones as well. Just glad I had some success in matching the right colors.

DSCN3594.thumb.JPG.c7e46c164a97a069ff039fa31db51406.JPG

Another thing to add to the list.  Is it just Citadel White or does it have a special name?  Thanks!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Who makes the Acrysion line, Craig? You have a collection of blues and grays on your bench.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild