1930 Packard 734 Speedster Runabout (boattail) By Egilman- Monogram- 1/24th Scale- FINISHED!!

10 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

chassis looks really nice :) 

Thank you Denis.... It is greatly appreciated....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

14 minutes ago, CDW said:

Just don't put your bare hands in the stuff. Use latex gloves.

Indeed, although chemically inert, it is a very powerful concentrated caustic degreaser, much like Lye, (thankfully not as unstable as lye, which is also biodegradable btw.) something you definitely want to take precautions with. Try to keep it off your hands and completely out of your eyes.... Treat it like you would any powerful kitchen cleaner concentrate, with normal care it is quite safe.

And thank you Craig for the information on paint stripping....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Just now, Egilman said:

Indeed, although chemically inert, it is a very powerful concentrated caustic degreaser, much like Lye, (thankfully not as unstable as lye, which is also biodegradable btw.) something you definitely want to take precautions with. Try to keep it off your hands and completely out of your eyes.... Treat it like you would any powerful kitchen cleaner concentrate, with normal care it is quite safe.

And thank you for the information on paint stripping....

Long ago, I made the mistake of using it as a degreaser on a 1:1 automobile engine bay. In addition to degreasing the engine it stripped the paint. Not advisable to let it contact any polished aluminum parts as it mars the finish. A very potent product but it's supposed to be environmentally friendly.

12 minutes ago, CDW said:

Long ago, I made the mistake of using it as a degreaser on a 1:1 automobile engine bay. In addition to degreasing the engine it stripped the paint. Not advisable to let it contact any polished aluminum parts as it mars the finish. A very potent product but it's supposed to be environmentally friendly.

So have to be careful with certain chemicals products  - slightly off topic (sorry)   my late farther  aircraft engineer, decided to clean out a  petrol paint stripper tool  using petrol  BUT   he then decided  to dry it out in front of an open fire..............(((((BANG)))))    My dad ended up in hospital for Two weeks with First degree Burns   and my nans cottage where it happened had to have the front wall rebuilt.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Not going to like that OC.   But a good point about volatiles and flame.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

Not going to like that OC.   But a good point about volatiles and flame.

Thanks Mark,    just shows how a few minutes  loss of concentration can be  monumental.

Sorry for the de rail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Sorry for the de rail.

No derail here my friend, reminders about dealing with the potential consequences of improper use of chemicals is ALWAYS appropriate and welcome on any thread of mine........

Safety first is always the best way....

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Onward, Floor Pan and fenders mounted.....

DCP_2441.JPG.284f93cc46f3005f68b23dd7eba3d37b.JPG

DCP_2442.JPG.cd0c56d8676792ad3de5b98e598d188c.JPG

DCP_2439.JPG.21d7ef5429c82d8304e4e72288a27d8b.JPG

DCP_2440.JPG.c1ba5cf45e502dbc4e8ec9c795c0fd7c.JPG

Now, after a few paint details, we move to the actual coachwork........

EG

Quote:

That is looking really nice  - the black look so nice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you OC...

And thanks everyone for your comments and likes....

It's greatly appreciated...

EG

Quote:

Final lower end detail painting done......

DCP_2443.JPG.b51f6d8799c0c33cf5ac4e7f871ecc50.JPG

Now, on to the cockpit...... (got to brush up on my leather technique)

EG

Quote:

12 minutes ago, CDW said:

Looks great!

Thank you, the chrome around the running boards gave me a fit though I think it came out ok.....

Quote:

Here is an example of stripping enamel paint with super clean....

I was going to go with an interior approximately this color.....

6126_7.jpg.89151c745135d3ba2bd1befeb494496e.jpg

Kinda goes well with the body work doesn't it? but since mine is going to be red & silver this is too light.... But I had already painted the cockpit and the drivers seat, so it needs stripping....

DCP_2446.JPG.91d7e2f83b3878abfbc2ff229030f883.JPG

After 12 hours bath, most is now loose and could be brushed off.. but I'm going to leave it for another couple of hours while I decide what tone I want the Leather to be, probably a more deeper brown toned leather....

A lot of these cars had a black interior, or white interior, and neither of those appeal to me. They were manufactured in any interior finish the customer wanted, with color matched carpet and leather seats & door panels....

I have leather paint and a few other colors... still considering it...... But it's confirmed Super Clean does remove paint albeit a bit slower than chrome....

Quote:

Now the cockpit is done as far as it can be at this point.... (still need the dash panel painted and detailed)

DCP_2449.JPG.9cc2ef138c3fc05be6ab64da249a832e.JPG

Next comes the body, firewall and hood.....

DCP_2448.JPG.bfb088d6e0a2f376f2d33f66c18c2cd9.JPG

Now, with the body set on the chassis, it's beginning to show it's potential.....

DCP_2450.JPG.13bf6b1d27b2da772b376d977369aa14.JPG

Masked up and ready for paint.......

Onward.....

Quote:

6 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Looking good !

Thanks Jack....

(as far as the seat positioning, I have been unable to find out a reason for it, design reasoning lost to history)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

1 hour ago, Kurt Johnson said:

Supposedly the offset seats gave the driver more elbow room. I guess for whipping around those wicked corners. No drifting!

Kurt

It would also give the driver a better view to the right.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I guess we haven’t come that far. Approx 60 percent of turning accidents with another vehicle or a pedestrian in the US  is when making a left hand turn. The version is blocked by post at the corner of the winshield.  I could see if the top was down and your passenger had long flowing hair,  the offset seat would keep their hair out of your face. You wouldn’t hear them screaming  as much when you really cut it close either!

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

7 hours ago, Kurt Johnson said:

You wouldn’t hear them screaming  as much

But you would sure feel it when they hit you in the head from behind!:(

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

DCP_2451.JPG.0652afbb8f8426cfc5dbb268fb9e15f4.JPG

Quote:

Smart motor EG😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

6 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Smart motor EG😁

Thank you my friend....

3 hours ago, Canute said:

Sharp paint scheme, EG.

I thought it was, as proposed, the chrome look was just too much.... so I figured to cut the metalized look by giving it layers that look normal to pull the eyes away from the rather drab look of all metal.... It's ok now, but wait til I get done with it.....

2 hours ago, Shotlocker said:

I'm glad you mentioned leaving the parts in the Super Clean for 12+ hours, now I have a time frame for soaking that '59 Caddy.

Really like that paint scheme on your Speedster!

My pleasure, and the paint I stripped was only on there for a day and a half, older paint might take a bit more time... But, it does work. And thank you for your comment.....

Thank you all

EG

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Sweet!!!!!  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Definitely turning into a rich mans play toy. Got any sexy blonds laying around to add to the build?:champagne-2:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

super progress EG.........sweet look'in ride :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch