HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

The fully served strops may have been "fun" but they turned out very well! Your serving looks great....all your rigging is very neat and tidy!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Wow....a log with pictures of an actual build! :P

Great work Andy! :D

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

.....just toss 'em the sports page.......he'll be happy :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Wow! considering that you just got back, you sure work fast Andy, splendid work as always B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks again, everyone!

Every time I turn around there seems to be more new faces hanging around my build log..... And that's a wonderful thing. :)

Well...I did manage the bowsprit shrouds this afternoon. A little bit of a challenge, seeing as the heart has to be set in a splice at one end. Effectively a served, hard eyesplice (a hard eye being any eyesplice with a thimble or heart, as opposed to a soft eye, without). Had to take care not to pull out the faked splice when continuing the serving elsewhere on the line. But time draws near to start cleaning up the shipyard yet again. Can't ever seem to get enough time there to do all the things I want to....

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

sorry to hear you've gotta get back to work so soon......doesn't seem that long.  really doing a nice job with the rigging. ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Every time I turn around there seems to be more new faces hanging around my build log..... And that's a wonderful thing. :)

Well, you have another one now, as I am looking more and more at your splendid build.

Well done Andy, you're certainly taking great pains with her – and it shows!  ;)

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

A few more photos for everyone. (and yes a couple of GFPs..... I can't help it..... honest! :P )

As I said last night, bowsprit shrouds are done. Although it doesn't really look it in the photos, they are, in fact, equal length. I've sort of reached a natural stopping point this time, nothing really half done. About the only thing I'll do is brush on some matte medium to protect the rigging I've done in the last 2 weeks.

Andy

post-34-0-73102400-1379600302_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-94993800-1379600315_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-01693100-1379600327_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-45756400-1379600337_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, I read your build log last night.  Wonderful work!  Your work on the rigging is spectacular!  The serving in your pics is what really drags me into looking at your rigging and thinking this is incredible.

I can talk dados, and mortises, and rabbets (not wabbits) with the best of them.  But the talk of stropping, siezing, serving, hidden clove hitches, etc makes my eyes roll in the back of my head.  The only "real" knot I can tie (other that the overhand knot) is the square knot, which doesn't help on a ship model.  I've seen mention of serving before but seeing it here on your shrouds finally makes me understand what it is and how great it looks.

This hobby should really be called Model Ship Building and Model Ship Rigging.  The skills and knowledge to perform each (well) are so different!

Looking at your rigging will be a huge inspiration whenever the day comes I have to rig my models.  I'll also have to invest in that rigging book you have. Good luck in your travels!

Edited by cookster

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Your rope work is great Andy, fantastic serving. :)  :)

Your old nag is turning out to be a lovely thoroughbred. B)

Keep it up mate ;)

Bummer about that 4 letter word thingy, still it does prolong our enjoyment. :angry:  :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Well... I am very flattered by everyone's responses... Thank you all so very much. :)

Something tells me if I could run an online course on the subject if I actually knew what I was doing.. :P

Well what a difference a phone call makes... Sort of... So instead of one ship, on Saturday, I leave tomorrow for another... But it's only for pilotage, up and down the seaway, so I figure five days or so and I'll be back again...all things going well. A small yay for me... :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Stay safe....and bring a jacket.  The weather is a changing!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautiful work Andy. What matte medium are you using to preserve the rigging?

Also, do you find that working with line in real life make rigging the model more easily understood (granted, the size line you work with dwarfs the model itself)? I've noticed a difference in my model rigging/comprehension since I learned how to sail and do a lot of the rigging work myself.

And don't forget-Life is too short to splice wire rope :D

Harvey

Harvey, it's prepared acrylic matte medium from Scenic Express.

And yes, a bit of basic seamanship goes a looong way :)

BTW I have spliced wire rope........ Not as time consuming as you might think... ;)

Greg, thank you very much..... It may sound corny, but I'm a fan of your work.... :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks Andy. I'll look for that acrylic.

I haven't spliced wire rope before, but I've seen the Liverpool splice in Brion Toss' book "The Rigger's Apprentice", and it looks like a lot of work (especially when he says "you've finished it! Now throw it away").

Heck, I still can't do a good eyesplice in 3 strand dacron. I get lost after about the 2nd or 3rd tuck.

Harvey

sounds like you got somewhat of a reprieve............though it may be sad for the waterways.......it's a big yay for Peg!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

John, that's the Seaway for ya!

Bust a 1" mooring wire and you've got sometimes less than 30 minutes between locks to either reel off the leftovers and roll on a new 700 foot wire.... Or slam in a new 9' eye splice....

(The best solution is to not break the wire in the first place... :P )

Current Build:

USF Confederacy