Biloxi schooner by Russ - 1/48 scale POB - Finished

it's always been sail that the thickness is the main problem.   Midwest tries to compensate.....I have the Flattie kit,  and the material is like hankie cloth.  your customer is going to love this vessel  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

She has seen it and she loves it. She would love it no matter what it looked like. She is that kind of person. :)

Russ

Russ, Like the others I think she looks great. What could you have done to make the sails more to your liking? I have heard of silkspan but am really not familiar with it.

AS far as your customer, she sounds like both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because if you have a little wrinkle she will still love it. A curse because if you slip up and have a little wrinkle, she will still love it but YOU know the wrinkle is there.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Sam:

The sails are a question of scale. It is the material thickness that is took much for scale. My sail maker doubled the material over and so we have sails that are twice as thick as I wanted. That is completely on me. I should have taken the time to make the sails myself. Lesson learned.

My client is a very nice person. She always tries to see the good in everything.

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

More progress. The rigging is well along now with only a few details left to complete. The shrouds have been rigged with upper deadeyes and lower deadeyes connected by lanyards. The deadeyes are scratch made from boxwood and about 5/64" diameter with .021" diameter holes. The final tension will be set when the free end of the lanyards is tied off above the upper deadeyes.

Russ

post-164-0-67100800-1481092935_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-26415400-1481092951_thumb.jpg

She's looking good with her sails up. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob:

Thanks. I am happy to see her getting near the finish line. Lots of lessons learned.

Russ

John:

Thanks. The cloud of sails is not her working rig. For the most part, when working, they did not fly topsails or jib. Just the main, fore, and forestay sails. This would be her gussied up regatta day rig, usually in July and August.

Russ

Lots of lessons learned.

Russ

If we didn't learn something would be wrong.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

A real gem Russ.  The sails look good in place and while i am aware you think they look too heavy; they look pretty good in-situ.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Bob:

Right on. :)

Pat:

Many thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated. :)

Russ

Here are some rope coils. Yes, they are a bit messy, but this is a working vessel so the coils tend to be haphazard. That is my story and I am sticking to it. :)

Russ

post-164-0-63722600-1481243352_thumb.jpg

Looks good Russ your story is OK for me.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

SHE IS FINISHED!!!!!!! :)  Photographs to come some time tomorrow.

Russ

Here are some photos of the completed model. While there are many things that I like about the model, there are, of course, those things that I dislike. This has been a love/hate relationship for 5 years and even now, I am not certain where I am in that cycle. I know that this has been a great learning experience and I am delighted to have completed the model. Right now that, and Christmas, are what has me feeling good. I thank everyone who has looked in and followed along. It is all very much appreciated.

My client loves the model and I hope her son will like it when he sees it on Christmas morning. This is something he does not know about and will not see coming.

Russ

post-164-0-09128000-1481269506_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-14908500-1481269522_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-50110800-1481269538_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-76403200-1481269557_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-61940200-1481269578_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-97356500-1481269591_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-30323900-1481269611_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-77242700-1481269636_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-65225700-1481269653_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-36401800-1481269673_thumb.jpg

post-164-0-82383100-1481269684_thumb.jpg

Congratulations Russ. Although your story about the working vessel is very plausible, she looks brand new. Must be her maiden trip. Very beautiful build, and it was a real joy and privilege to follow it.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Carl:

Thanks.

She is gussied up for the annual regatta, held in July each year. They overhauled the boats and raced them before the shrimp season started in late August.

Russ

Edited by russ

Congratulation on the completion Russ. ......Now what's next?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I love the work boats, and you have built a beauty.  Thanks for sharing.

Bob

beautiful schoner Russ,

congrats to this fine build....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Really pretty build.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It really makes me feel much better about the model and I appreciate you looking in and following along.

My next project is another local commission. It is a motor powered lugger named Captain Roy, built by Jules Galle' for a local seafood cannery owner named Roy Rosalis. It will be POB construction at 1/24 scale and should make a nice sized model at about 30 inches long. It will be rigged for shrimping. I am completing the drawings for this boat over the holidays and I aim to begin construction in January. More on this later.

Kenneth, I will be talking with Mr. Baker again soon about the lugger. I need him to look at my completed plans and details. If I get his seal of approval, I know I am doing good. :)

Russ

Beautiful Russ!  Very nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Bob:

Many thanks. I have been watching your builds over the last few years, aspiring to your level of quality. I appreciate your kind words.

Russ

Congratulations Russ; she looks absolutely grand!  I am sure the client will be very thrilled with this model.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)