WARATAH 1902 by ccoyle - FINISHED - HMV - 1/250 - CARD - Steam Tug

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Starving cows don't make a good steak.

Neither do dairy cows. Don't ask me how I know. 😜

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Not much to show for today. The big headache at this point was creating the eight mooring posts. These were originally to be made of card, obviously, but they are so tiny that folding them properly was a real pain, and I didn't like the results. So I decided to replace the paper parts with wood square stock. The kit includes microscopic angle braces for the posts, but I have omitted them, because they are just way too tiny to work with. I also did the little deck at the stern, the rub rails, and the aft companionway.

waratah7.thumb.jpg.93e54403b3cffeff744eb59839d3f7b6.jpg

Now it's on to the main superstructure.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

With this update, I'm now finished through Step 5 of the construction process. The forward companionway and the locker aft of it were easy enough. The superstructure was more challenging. It consists of of two sections, which I prefer rather than having the whole thing as one piece. The forward half had joiners to bridge the gap between the port and starboard walls. But once I got both halves finished and placed them on the deck for a test fit, I discovered that the walls of the forward half were about 1mm too long on each side. So, I had to remove the joiners, trim off the excess length, and re-do the folds -- nothing too difficult, but it took a little time to do carefully and make sure everything fit correctly. I then glued the two sections of wall to the deck, added a replacement joiner to the forward section, and also added some thick cardboard to the insides of the walls to make them straighter and more rigid.

waratah8.thumb.jpg.12c0194dd875b545fc0bcf48f69a7df6.jpg

Next up will be the various life jacket lockers. Incredibly, they actually have the words "life jackets" printed on them, which -- at this scale -- can only be read under high magnification; at normal viewing distances, they just look like a smudge. 😜

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

56 minutes ago, Jim Lad said:

She's coming along very nicely, mate.

Thanks! I daren't mess up, or I may catch it from you antipodeans! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

An observation I made last night while working on the life jacket lockers is that the locations for these are not marked on the printed kit parts. Typically on a card model like this one, the locations of things like lockers are marked by white spaces, which is why we card modelers call this part of the construction sequence "killing white spaces." But if you look closely at the model, you can see the uninterrupted printed coamings around the various deck structures where the lockers will be placed -- no white spaces. I presume that the life jacket lockers are required by the ship's current status as an excursion vessel; I'm guessing the way the kit is printed was purposefully done to allow a modeler the option of building Waratah more as she would have looked as a working vessel, e.g. sans life jacket lockers.

Another nice touch about the kit that I don't think I have mentioned yet is that all of the printed parts needed for particular sub-assemblies are grouped together inside printed boxes on the parts sheets. This eliminates much of the hunting for parts that is required for most kits.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Now finished with Step 6, lockers and gallows.

waratah9.thumb.jpg.e61eac003048333a5f77d746b4130806.jpg

The particular gallows (correct term?) shown below was a bit of a challenge. Again, the kit includes printed posts and crossbeam, but I replaced these with wood.

waratah911.thumb.jpg.a91d2665cf780562206eba81e2533a5c.jpg

The two bowed pieces are from the laser-cut detail set. The set included a hook as well, but it was tiny and kind of clunky looking. No matter -- my stupid tweezers tips slipped and flung the tiny part into another dimension. I tried cutting out the printed hook, which was a fruitless endeavor. The solution? A tiny strip of curled paper soaked in thin CA. Hard to see it in this photo. Heck, hard to see it period.

And because David likes something in the photo for scale, here's a pic featuring one of my digits. No, I did not used forced perspective -- my finger was actually that close and the model really is that tiny. 😉

waratah912.thumb.jpg.6f0352739ae281e7ea970a62bfdbbc92.jpg

Next up: THE WINCH! 😮

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Wow the finger puts it into perspective.       I imagined it was at least 4 times larger than it actually is!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Your Waratah is looking great!  Your card builds keep making me want to build another one.  

I would love to build some of the HMV kits, but shipping to the US is not cheap.

Regarding the starving cow look, I ran into the same problem during my build of the Prince de Neufchatel (a LOT worse than yours).

For my next card build (the Hannah), I made the deck a double thickness, to greatly reduce the starving cow look.

I laminated two pieces of poster board together.  It worked well.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very cool!  Thank you very much!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Step 7 complete -- forward deck furniture: winch, vent, anchors, anchor davits. The winch has 21(!) pieces. 🥴

waratah913.thumb.jpg.1259d6f43bd111f1f2c8e3b3119f3096.jpg

waratah914.thumb.jpg.35a2e3be2c8ddb417e65a685f263c86e.jpg

Today, my stupid tweezers launched one of the anchors -- TWICE. 🤬 Happily, I was able to find it both times. Tweezers launches don't always have happy endings.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Hey, all you antipodeans:

Before I go too much further with this build, I need to pinpoint where the turnbuckles for the funnel guys terminate on the superstructure deck. The rigging diagram is a bit fuzzy on this point, and I haven't been able to find any pictures online that clearly show that area. Anybody know of any?

Thanks!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I was able to find some photos that show where the turnbuckles (bottlescrews) terminate on the superstructure deck, so I made some pinholes in which to glue the guys and then glued the deck onto the superstructure. The stack is also complete, though only dry-fitted in this photo; I will attach its guys before gluing it down permanently.

waratah915.thumb.jpg.152c6870b3d09288809633251e14ee84.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Tonight's progress: funnel guys attached (to stack only, not to deck), bridge added, and one of the pesky cowl vents completed (one more to go). The vents are printed black on the inside, but all of the photos I've seen show red inside the cowls, so I painted red over the black, though it doesn't show up well in the photo. I have deviated slightly from the construction sequence shown in the diagrams -- working on superstructure elements from the middle towards the edges, so that the guys won't be in the way of anything that needs gluing. Space is very tight in some areas.

waratah916.thumb.jpg.a723544a8e5af313d30fe559aaaf8035.jpg

BTW, I did not elect to use the kit's optional bridge interior elements, which include interior walls, engine telegraph, compass, and wheel -- just too many tiny pieces for my liking. Sorry!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Amazing work  - especially  for card.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Okay, here she is! I had a few issues:

• I started with the port-side laser-cut railings, and it shows. The starboard side looks better.
  • The awning is optional; I chose to add it. I like awnings, and this is the first kit I've done that actually includes the awning, not just its supports.
  • You'll note that the mast has no rigging. I meant well -- even had all of the relevant lines attached to the mast. But then came trying to belay them. Yeah, that was an absolute booger, and I decided that for the sake of my mental health, this was a detail I could live without. Sorry!
  • You antipodean purists may notice that the bell is on the wrong side of the mast. There simply wasn't enough room between the mast and the forward vent, so this captain had his crew shift the bell aft.

Here's some pictures -- my little cell phone camera is not the best at taking close-ups of tiny subjects.

waratah917.thumb.jpg.20a3388754264d53c077458c9b34ac8f.jpg

waratah918.thumb.jpg.97521ba35cd5894479dd7bda44a73687.jpg

waratah919.thumb.jpg.f16e12c1959de6cda63a0696fdb973cb.jpg

waratah920.thumb.jpg.43269338df35b2fe3818c8760f9b2314.jpg

waratah922.thumb.jpg.566f9b0c7099a1099e35bc2fc1ce44ab.jpg

waratah925.thumb.jpg.b01e76de6298b63239f5cf2e9f034869.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this little excursion into the card modeling world. Now, off to think about my next project!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Very nice Chris, it looks so clean and crisp. I look forward to seeing your next project.

Cheers

slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hard to believe that model is as tiny as it is.  Wonderful work, Chris.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)