HMS Leopard 1790 by Bluto - FINISHED - 1:80 - 50 gun ship - PoB

Hi Matrim,

I can't really compare this scale with anything else as this is the first build I've done (I've never even built a ship from a kit before,) but at times it certainly was a bit fiddly ~ especially areas like the stern quarters.

The plans that came with the book were at 1:96 but I felt that was going to be too tight for me and as much as I would have preferred a scale of 1:64 or bigger, display space would have been a problem so I struck a 'mid-way' compromise of 1:80.

As it is, at this scale, it now measures (overall length) 960mm X 760mm (keel to truck).  The case I ordered is 1020mm long by 810mm high.

Jim.

I cut it twice . . . . . and it's still too short!

HMS Leopard 1790; scratch build 1:80 PoB

Cross Section - HMS Leopard 1790 - 1:44         

Just over nine years and it's now finished ~ well, I still have to make the boats, but for her own safety, Leopard will be going in her case as it will take some time to figure how on earth I'm even going to make a start on the boats.

A couple of months back I took some time out to fashion a base and supports for the ship. Here's the base with two pedestals > IMG_20191113_133930.thumb.jpg.76b23821b2b4d7bc6ff5aff66ecc5b90.jpg

Last year my neighbour was renewing her kitchen and was throwing out her 'old' cabinets and doors. The doors were solid oak ~ not just the frames, but the raised panels as well. Throwing out OAK - - - that should be a criminal offence!!!  (With her permission) I saved the lot and have made a few projects and also still have several of the doors 'in reserve'.

The oak board in the photo above was made from that saved timber as were the two turned pedestals. The pedestals alone won't support the ship as there is no provision inside the keel to make the ship vertically secure, so there is a central 'cradle' (also made from the oak) that will keep the ship on 'an even keel'. >>>    e

IMG_20191113_134133.thumb.jpg.3a69ed9870e08fd2c7c15050040fdf92.jpg

I routed a rebate (American - rabbet) all round the base so that the acrylic case will be 'anchored' and won't be able to slide around.

The case has been the most expensive single item in relation to the entire build.  I had considered obtaining acrylic sheets and making my own case but the amount of work involved in making a wooden frame guided me to the easier route of purchasing a commercially made item.

I also got a commercially engraved brass plaque >>> IMG_20191113_134523.thumb.jpg.97a0b035d32ba2e700dbb8968ef96fc9.jpg

(The brass plate is mounted on oak from my neighbour's kitchen!}  

And now, Leopard finds refuge away from the danger of a clumsy ship builder's hands and elbows as well as from the exploring hands of his grandchildren!    IMG_20191121_102526.thumb.jpg.36072b59141d5d1ded1551955c07a6f9.jpgIMG_20191118_140606.thumb.jpg.e8c4ffe92bad6e0d9ef8a08b0f15aa7f.jpg

IMG_20191121_102549.thumb.jpg.c5effb3beaa752a054eca8968da6480a.jpg

Although I stated that it's been over nine years in the making, it's probably closer to six years as there have been a few considerably long lay-off periods.

Edited by Bluto 1790

Jim.

Fabulous! The model in its case should be required viewing for beginners as an example of how large a display area a finished model can require, even at a "small" scale such as 1/80.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Well done Jim.  Your perseverance has definitely paid off resulting in a beautiful model.

Tom

Beautiful work, Jim.  The case really sets her off well.  And yes, trashing solid oak doors should be a crime. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking great, well done

Where did you get the case made?

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

hello Jim.......coming in today,  I saw that you were finished! :)   I had to take a lookie.......:stunned:  fabulous ship you have there!......and wow....what a coaster ride for the ending.   so easy to break something....some really good repairs........I've not seen the mizzen braces run like that before.  I've always known them to rig to the main mast.  is this the class of ship?   in any case.......in which it is now in  :D  :D   great job and congratz for completing a very beautiful model :) :champagne:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks to Chris (Watton), Chris (Coyle), Tom, Mark, Christian, Paul and Denis for the comments and the others for the likes.

Paul, I got the case at a place on the south coast just near Brighton. The company is called Striking Displays.  This link will take you directly to their custom/bespoke page where you can input the dimensions of the case you want and you'll get an instant price (not including VAT.)

https://www.strikingdisplays.co.uk/display-cases/custom-display-cases/custom-sized-display-case.html#DETAILS

If it's for your Frigate 'Sirius' at a scale of 1:48 that would be a much bigger case than I got and I don't know if they have a maximum size at which they limit their cases - but it won't hurt to try.

It costs over £60 for delivery as it comes on a pallet in a truck but you may be close enough to collect it yourself (if it would fit in your vehicle!).

Denis ~ as far as I was able, I was following Peterssen's rigging guide and that shows the mizzen topsail and topgallant braces running to the taffrail. I felt that was going to be a bit busy there so I ran them as shown in one of my previous posts. The mizzen crossjack braces are run to the pinrails on each side of the Q/deck via blocks on the aftmost mainmast shrouds.

Jim.

Congratulations!  Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

thanks Jim, I will certainly have a look

regards

paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Thanks to GrandpaPhil, Paul and Richard for your comments and again to the others for the many likes.

Jim.

Thanks svein.erik for your comment.

Just wanted to see Leopard out on the water so I played around in a very basic editing program I have. (I don't have anything proper like Photoshop.) You'll have to ignore the background above the waterline >>>865529904_AtSea2.jpg.701ad2e7a7eaa66794ca4df234c864b1.jpg

And here's an RC model of Leopard under full sail out on the water >>>

138774906_000001Leopard-RC.jpg.4376d4d690a0967cfc8fa2141cb66754.jpg 

Jim.