The San Marco mosaic ship c. 1150 by Louie da fly - FINISHED - 1:75

Starboard rudder tackle in progress . . . I made a peg out of bamboo to fix the rudder to its pivot (bamboo's a lot stronger than most woods).

20241001_091905.thumb.jpg.9aebece0275e2cb1930f63aac51ce180.jpg

And glued the rudder in place with its tackle attached

20241001_092815.thumb.jpg.c828113e791706a2f665763ec1187e55.jpg

And complete (whew!)

20241002_171748.thumb.jpg.e9da521af7009d2372e794b05722d213.jpg

But before I add the larboard rudder I need to sort out the loosened-off lee shrouds and work on the 'belly' of the sails. Watch this space.

BTW, notice the marine growth at the pump outlet is less 'neon'. I followed Druxey's advice - sort of - by giving the stain a light wash of reddish-brown (close enough to the complementary colour to bilious green).

Steven

'Just love the figures - and, of course, the ship !

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

One of the issues with quarter rudders is the tendency of the rudder to slide laterally away from the hull. To counter this , some sort of restraint is required either using wood guides or buttresses or with extra tackle. The following photos show one method (Yenikapi 12 build)

DSCN2337b.jpg.c16c11f9ce83724c1cf2a8ebab2cc4fc.jpgDSCN2342a.jpg.4802d202da2ce954d73035a8c2e97a0f.jpg

the last picture in the background shows the way the nordics  controlled the lateral movement with a withy tether.

Cheers

Dick

Current build: 

Le Gros Ventre 1:48 POF   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/564-le-gros-ventre-by-woodrat-scale-1-48-pof-1767-french-exploration-vessel/

Past builds:

Mycenaean War Galley by Woodrat - 1:48 - Shell first Plank on Frame:https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33384-mycenaean-war-galley-by-woodrat-148-shell-first-plank-on-frame

Venetian round ship 14th century by Woodrat fully framed - 1:40 scalCompleted

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17991-venetian-round-ship-14th-century-by-woodrat-fully-framed-140-scale

Venetian Carrack or Cocha 1/64 by woodrat   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4915-venetian-carrack-or-cocha-164-by-woodrat        completed

United States Frigate Essex 1:64 POF   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4496-usf-essex-by-woodrat-scale-1-64-fully-framed-from-takakjian-plans/ - completed 

Yenikapi12 by Woodrat - 1/16 scale - a small Byzantine merchant vessel of the 9th century

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23815-yenikapi12-by-woodrat-116-scale-a-small-byzantine-merchant-vessel-of-the-9th-century-finished/

The Incredible Hulc by Woodrat - an experimental reconstruction of a mediaeval transport

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25641-the-elusive-hulc-by-woodrat-finished-a-speculative-reconstruction-of-a-mediaeval-merchantman-132-plank-on-frame/

Congratulations on an excellent build! Very well done, it looks wonderful and this build log is a fascinating read. 

Indeed, wonderful.

It was great to follow the build of this model.

Whats next 😉 ??

Nicely done,    :cheers:   Congratulations. 

Bob  M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Thanks everybody.

I'm still working on the Ballarat paddlesteamer Golden City, but my next project will be a Genoese carrack, based on archaeological reports of a vessel named the Lomellina which sank in the southern French harbour of Villefranche-sur-Mer in 1516 and was investigated in the 1980's. It will be at a scale of 1:100.

Steven

Quite the collection you have of unusual early ships Steven.  I have enjoyed following along, especially the excellent model resulting from your reseach.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Another stunning build, Steven.    I love love following your work and variety of vessels.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Steven, this one was going to be great from the start. I'm very impressed with the result!

Peter :dancetl6:

PvG Aussie (Peter) Started modelling Jan 2022.  Joined MSW March 2024. Quote: Rome wasn't built in a day!

Current Build:  USS Enterprise (CV-6) - I Love Kit - 1:350   

Past Builds:       Artesania Latina (AL) Belem   (1:75),  AL Vasa (1:65)  , Scratch build Australia II BOTTLE (1:225), AL Bluenose II (1:75)  AL Bounty (1:48),  AL Endeavour                                      (1:65), Trumpeter Bismarck (1:200),  Border Models Avro Lancaster Bomber (1:32),  AL Fokker Dr1 (1:16), Das Werk WWI German U-Boat SM U-9 (1:72)

Scratch build HMS Victory BOTTLE (1:530), Wolfpack PBY-3 Catalina (1;72), Scratch build MS Sibajak 1928 BOTTLE (1:1150),

Imai Kagaku Spanish Galleon 1607 (1:100), Brandenburg State Yacht 1679 (1/200), HMS Endeavour (1/450) BOTTLE PLUS  approx. 13 more ships in bottles

• The title was changed to The San Marco mosaic ship c. 1150 by Louie da fly - FINISHED - 1:75

Wonderful build, congratulations! :imNotWorthy:

Andrew
Current builds:- HM Gun-brig Sparkler - Vanguard (1/64) 
HMAV Bounty - Caldercraft (1/64)

Completed (Kits):-

Vanguard Models (1/64) :HM Cutter Trial , Nisha - Brixham trawler

Caldercraft (1/64) :- HMS Orestes(Mars)HM Cutter Sherbourne

Paper Shipwright (1/250) :- TSS Earnslaw, Puffer Starlight

Bravo! Well Donne Mate! I'm always mesmerized at how people build a ship from a picture or drawing or carving, etc. Phenomenal!!!!!! And as @Baker asked: what's next? 

Mikki

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Working on: Dusek's San Martin

Completed: Good ol' first ship build- Constructo's Albatross; Mamoli's HMS Bounty; Mamoli's Golden Hinde; Amati's Drakkar; Occre's Revenge; Artesania Latina's San Fran

Thanks everybody for the likes and comments. It's nice to have finished the build and though I'm painfully aware of places where I didn't get it as right as I'd have liked to, I'm actually very happy with this.

MikkiC, I've already started work on plans for the next one - see 

It'll be a while before I start making sawdust, but the design process is under way.

Steven