McDonnell Douglas F-15 A/C by Danstream - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1:48

Simply OUTSTANDING Dan! I’m a lifer jet guy (years of military time) and those nozzles couldn’t look any more realistic. Your addition of some oil streaking (also called rivet trails if the streak comes from a working faster of some kind) is great as well. 

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

2 hours ago, Dave_E said:

I’m a lifer jet guy (years of military time) and those nozzles couldn’t look any more realistic. Your addition of some oil streaking (also called rivet trails if the streak comes from a working faster of some kind) is great as well. 

Thank you Dave! I appreciate your evaluation. I will remember the 'rivet trails' definition.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Hi,

a small update that concludes the application of the camouflage of the main airframe. I masked again the metallic panels in view of the final coating of matt clear varnish. In fact, I want to retain the shiny finish of the metallic panels:

IMG_8073.thumb.JPG.368b710c3d1d293e2e823edba715b824.JPG

After spraying a thinned layer of Tamiya matt (doped with some drops of gloss), after long time, I can remove all the masking tapes also from the canopy:

IMG_8074.thumb.JPG.e8b52b9ac9e9f6970ea281c29e4e5d07.JPG

I am pleased with the variety of finishes of the metallic parts and painted surfaces:

IMG_8075.thumb.JPG.c488a2d45ca47d2130187c3cbe6d2531.JPG

Now I will concentrate of the huge drop tanks and on the missiles.

Best regards,

Dan

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

Thanks Javlin and thanks for the 'like's. Small bit and pieces take very long, hence, just small progress at the time. Added black smoke puffs of the starter exhaust on the belly and LG pieces now permanently mounted:

IMG_8091.thumb.JPG.09dfbe283a4a0bb8ad89aa38192a3613.JPG

Main LG:

IMG_8092.thumb.JPG.7f39c5d6d61e947d640df18a4114123e.JPG

Nose wheel:

IMG_8094.thumb.JPG.a57714c057c19740770d70ae8e801b2e.JPG

IMG_8093.thumb.JPG.2bb3cab72c7443ab78cd162cdbc2ae92.JPG

Back to tanks and missiles. 

Kind regards,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

following Denis' suggestion, I went a bit on with my build. I must admit that I find this phase of preparing the large fuel tanks a bit boring and also finishing the many missiles is not very exciting. I should have thought earlier to close the slots that are there to hold the tanks so to omit them and display the airframe in its sleek and beautiful shape. Too late for that, these are the tanks now after the usual black followed by several layers of paint:

IMG_8118.thumb.JPG.1f1f2d4aee1185434341e6f8f91bf222.JPG

Transparent clear and matt are still missing. I will not weather them much, because I do not want them to catch too much attention. Meanwhile, I brush painted the pilot's seat which is a QB resin replacement. This is the only aftermarket used for this build, if we exclude the new decals. This is the most prominent piece that will be visible through the closed canopy glass and I wanted it to look cooler than the simplified part supplied with the kit.

IMG_8114.thumb.JPG.d563194529b5e7ef653c54ada2ca61d8.JPG

I painted it with Tamiya acrylic paints, Vallejo metallic for the buckles and the I sealed everything with a light coat of clear matt. Finally, the cockpit is now complete:

IMG_8117.thumb.JPG.e8cad1638497ec0b283e19ceb0611081.JPG

IMG_8116.thumb.JPG.3e14badc463b911637970e77ffa84af3.JPG

That's all for now, 

thanks for your interest,

Dan

Edited by Danstream

Thank you Ken! Great that you like it!

Although at slow pace, I am progressing. Never built before, I find this aircraft one of the coolest so far (have I already said that?).

Dan

Edited by Danstream

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful work Dan, wonderful paint work - so clean and yet authentic in appearance.  Nice.

Gary  

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Hi Gary, thank you, I am happy for your appraisal.

Hope to post something soon,

kind regards,

Dan

Hi all,

very small progress, but I would like to post something before my summer break. I am taking a couple of weeks leave to drive to south Europe and visit family. So for a while I will not post but I will learn of the progress of your builds. I painted all the external loads according to schemes which I think should match the period of the livery of the plane. This is the present state of affairs:

IMG_8119.thumb.JPG.6cdbeeb58351babd9927085f4844ce43.JPG

I still need to add the numerous colored bands to the missile bodies, but that should not take long. I have not decided whether I will paint them or use decal stripes. After that, these and the last things need to be put together in the final stretch.

Happy modeling and enjoy the summer, for those on this side of the planet, for the others have a good time anyway.

Dan

Edited by Danstream

Nicely done, Dan. You've captured the seeker head color of your 'Winders.

Have a safe drive on your holiday.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

That's insanely good Dan, wow!  Your painting techniques are incredible.  Very nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your appreciation and compliments, Mike! I am glad that you like my job.

Sorry for my late reply, I am just back from my trip to Italy and going through my mail backlog and the progresses of this site. I will reconnect with people of this blog soon.

Best regards,

Dan

Amazing work Dan!  Very nice job!

Do you mind if I ask you a question?  I see in earlier pictures you have the cockpit hood attached to the model when painting.  Then later, I see the hood is off the model.  How do you secure the cockpit to the model for the painting phase, so that it is strong enough to withstand the airbrush flow, but easy enough to remove?  I'm about to prime my Buffalo, and was looking to do something similar - prime and paint with the cockpit hood on to avoid paint getting into the cockpit, but then opening up the hood for final display.  Thanks!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

31 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Do you mind if I ask you a question?  I see in earlier pictures you have the cockpit hood attached to the model when painting.  Then later, I see the hood is off the model.  How do you secure the cockpit to the model for the painting phase, so that it is strong enough to withstand the airbrush flow, but easy enough to remove?

I hope you don't mind me answering this one brother, my technique is simple, Canopy Glue, I use Formula 560 myself, don't know what Dan uses but the process is similar I suspect... 

Basically you tack glue it on just like you would be installing it closed... Canopy Glue is a flexible PVA glue that dries crystal clear and very thin, it doesn't damage the parts so it is easy to remove afterwards... All it does is peel off leaving the parts in perfect condition....

Afterwards you can position it in any position you like...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

That's really helpful, thank you!  I was trying to figure out what to do as the Buffalo has a relatively long cockpit and i wasn't sure how to tape certain sections.  Having the canopy on the model makes things much easier!

Mike

19 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Do you mind if I ask you a question?  I see in earlier pictures you have the cockpit hood attached to the model when painting.  Then later, I see the hood is off the model.  How do you secure the cockpit to the model for the painting phase, so that it is strong enough to withstand the airbrush flow, but easy enough to remove?

Hi Mike, @Egilman already provided a viable solution 👍. In my case, I use drops (thouch-ups) of Vallejo masking fluid. After painting, the canopy can then be displaced easily by inserting a blade between the canopy and the sills and the remaining residuals can be easily peeled off.

Clearly, in many cases a canopy that fits well provides a very practical way of protecting the cockpit. I do the same with LG doors when they have a good fit with the wheel bays.

Kind regards and good luck with your Buffalo,

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am back to the F-15 model trying to get the last bits done. The missiles are basically completed with the various stripes as seen in pictures. Various colors have different meanings, I chose a combination which I hope makes sense.

IMG_8147.thumb.JPG.0cdbd1f59963ee45e14c4f243dc84178.JPG

I have done the stripes cutting them from scrap decals. While I had a yellow and grey decals, the brown was obtained by painting brown a piece of white decal. The work was quite tedious and they are not the best which can be seen around (f.i. the fins are very thick, but I did not feel like replacing them with thin scratch built ones) and this is how they look when installed:

IMG_8148.thumb.JPG.b0327cd8b9a8e686a7cd39b5cb1d94d7.JPG

Next to it, the large center-line tank can be seen. I added few shadows brushed with a black oil color. Then, with the tank mounted in place:

IMG_8149.thumb.JPG.c20e8792c6dfbd4bef02ea70fb58d44e.JPG

Meanwhile, the pods carrying the sidewinders and the other tanks have been prepared, ready to be installed:

IMG_8151.thumb.JPG.8df2fe227e41274bdb95eb06dc850326.JPG

Only few steps are now missing, comments or suggestions are welcome,

Best regards,

Dan

Dan, I think you have the missile details down pat. Yellow bands mean they are live rounds or war shots. The 'winder head is a metallic green with a dark band where the fuse is located, about where you show the brown band.  Well done. One detail for your 'winders is all four tailplanes had a silver grey square on each tip. These are small gyroscopes which deploy when the missile is launched. They provide stability for the missile. They are about 3" on each side, so fairly small. 👍😄

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Thank you very much Ken for your reply, I am glad you find them acceptable. As far as the gyros on the tips of the Sidewinders, I noticed these details although I did not figure out that the small wheels at the corners where gyros (I presume they are span by the relative airflow). However, the prospect of masking and painting 4 x 4 = 16 small squares at the corner of each fin did not appeal me greatly. Hence, I plainly omitted them (shame on me).

I hope I will be forgiven 😌.

Kind regards,

Dan

No problem. Your Eagle is progressing quite well. Very nice work.  👍😄

The gyros are a minute detail that only an old weapons officer would spot. I could add other items, but you'd need a 1/16 scale model to see them. 😉

Ken

Hi all,

please find a small addendum to my last instalment because I just managed to put on all the remaining parts. I have only to paint few small details, glue permanently the canopy and the vertical surfaces and I can call my Eagle finished. This is how she looks now:

IMG_8152.thumb.JPG.d0d51bd0a2a43e4c9e0831a5047bfa0b.JPG

IMG_8153.thumb.JPG.ffbd09b407f0c640d58e2a3967f3f771.JPG

Next instalment will be the final one with pictures properly done with my camera.

Thanks for visiting, see you soon,

Dan

McDonnel Douglas F-15 C 'Eagle'

Tamiya 1:48

32nd TFS 'Wolfhounds' USAFE, Soesterberg (NL), 1992

1457951068_DSC_0014(2)_resiz.thumb.JPG.a4e0bde6ee1f19a75eec19e178bea339.JPG

Dear all,

this is the last instalment with the final photographs of my F-15 model. As it can be seen by the build log attached above, it was a rather long build, as it is usual for me. I chose the markings of the The 32nd TFS that came to the Netherlands (Soesterberg AB) in the early 50's. The color scheme depicts one of these Eagles as it appeared in ca. 1991.

688379912_DSC_0009(2)resiz.thumb.JPG.ffcd9b34a41c3b674ba59393faf5a866.JPG

The model kit is the old Tamiya 1/48 scale which I bought in 1991 and I built it mainly OOB with the few exceptions listed below. I used the following materials and aftermarkets:

• Tamiya acrylics for most of the surfaces;
  • Vallejo Metallic for the nozzles and the panels around the engines;
  • Eduard resin ejection seat;
  • Dutch Decal decalsheet for the Wolfhounds markings.

DSC_0029_resiz.thumb.JPG.fcd792d6964b2b0d8a5a43826029a61f.JPG

The Tamiya kit is old with some shortcomings, but it is still an enjoyable one and it builds into an impressive model.

1373552705_DSC_0017(2)_resiz.thumb.JPG.cb729f2d149fc16e7a8f317b782a7c79.JPG

1670585844_DSC_0018(2)_resiz.thumb.JPG.4793ca51dce6c27cec92aad0300603d1.JPG

DSC_0020_resiz.thumb.JPG.28faab6c129ab282e495e8d599571f73.JPG

I did not used aftermarket accessories (beside the seat) and I chose to build it all closed up. I used the jet nozzle parts provided with the kit trying to add interest by using various metallic shades only.

DSC_0016_resiz.thumb.JPG.cc5ec4a66ffdb403883403f31a8f1357.JPG

DSC_0023_resiz.thumb.JPG.ebb7c71b0652f9aa6e4e5612f9568e11.JPG

The model was painted with gray mixes on top of a black basing with white marbling and it was finished with a not fully mat finish. The panel lines were accented by using oil colors diluted with white spirit. The various stains and trails were also made with brushed oil colors.DSC_0024_resiz.thumb.JPG.ff9b7a81e36ae8bb8d4e6873358b7c43.JPG

DSC_0017_2_resiz.thumb.JPG.9e927fab1e9a1a2bfa9b90cc7d79e8db.JPG

The metallic panels on the lower side were weathered with oils and shades of Tamiya smoke and clear yellow.

1053542387_DSC_0010resiz.thumb.JPG.a5178bbfe6176bb566045058f79c31ef.JPG

DSC_0012_resz.thumb.JPG.7ecf195a849af04f178e68a91a9fee26.JPG

The fins sport the orange banners with the crowns which are the symbols and colors of the royal family of the Netherlands.

DSC_0018_2_resiz.thumb.JPG.67f0e0008a3eac378f2bdf413fc5de9b.JPG

1263991113_DSC_0022(2)_resiz.thumb.JPG.040cc17ed15a0ee187569358cdf74b33.JPG

To show the real shades of the camouflage colors, which is meant to reproduce the 'Compass Ghost Scheme', I took some pictures under the natural sun light.

DSC_0026_resiz.thumb.JPG.eb2ff7077256d61eb42cf4dd78b43505.JPG

Another picture under sun light showing the closed cockpit with the Eduard ejection seat:

DSC_0023_2_resiz.thumb.JPG.70a254917b53a0afe81aa55d655a7a27.JPG

The pictures were taken with a Nikon camera D3100 set on its aperture priority mode. To conclude, I really enjoyed building this awesome and powerful jet fighter which I had never built before.

DSC_0031_resiz.thumb.JPG.e1843c0783ca396b6fdb5482b8af5fcb.JPG

I would like to thank all those that followed my long build and that provided suggestions, comments and appreciations. Again, any comment and suggestion that you might have are appreciated.

Best regards,

Dan

A very impressive bird, Dan.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)