Rattlesnake by Dave_E - Model Shipways - 1:64

Welcome back, Dave! It’s almost like you’re returning from a sabbatical. Sounds like a fun time but I bet you’re glad to get back to the bench! Happy New Year.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Dave, Welcome back home!  Part of the fun of going on vacation is remembering there's no place like home!  I think your stern piece looks great.  I kept touching up the brass, then having to touch up the gold I got on the blue and vice versa, then repeat...!  I finally said to myself, this has to be good enough.

Happy New Year!

Ed

Thanks & Best regards,

Ed Kutay

Current build: Model Shipways "Rattlesnake"

Completed build: Model Shipways "Bluenose I"

A28EF945-6AFB-40BC-802E-421646BC6A6E.thumb.jpeg.e999b4800c1e848d125a72220fe89180.jpeg

What in the wild wild world of sports is a goin on here? 😳 Had to remind the shipyard that it is really a guitar bench. 😆 The Strat needed a long over do tune up. Then my baby needed some new flat wounds. 👍

6AEAFFDD-3A4D-41AA-A9CE-B74367E1A5BB.thumb.jpeg.e1b062ac567c8623a76d6e25128563cc.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

A snake turned into axe right there on your workbench. :) 

Edited by Keith Black

The three capstans under the boom don't look like they're positioned correctly? 

I had an axe turn into a snake right in my hands,  had to quit drinking for  almost 2 hours lol, Welcome home Dave :cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

The mood just hasn’t been there to get back into the hull of the ship, so I turned to the cannons. I cleaned up the cannons and I think they turned out satisfactory. The carriages… that’s another thing. I ordered some carriages from Syren for the smallest cannon he makes (which is a 6 pounder I think). Anyway, his cannons measure about a mm and some change longer than these do from MS. I’m going to build one and see how these guns fit.

DCA8F52F-20E1-46AF-AF1C-273DA7646490.thumb.jpeg.d98212be77d4598a60aca81007907ea8.jpeg

So, while on the gun topic, I had lots of correspondence when building the Lady Nelson regarding breeching rope, rings and tackle. Given both ships are 1:64 scale… is the difference between a 3 or 4 pound cannon and a 6 pounder going to have real differences in the size of the breech line and rings and eyebolts etc. that will be visible on the ship at this scale? I’ve got lots of different sizes of wire to make things from if it makes a difference. I don’t have much information on anything other than breech line size for a 6 pounder.

Dave

I thought I was the only person who builds their cannons halfway through finishing the hull.  A little like have desert halfway through dinner.

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

19 hours ago, RossR said:

I thought I was the only person who builds their cannons halfway through finishing the hull.  A little like have desert halfway through dinner.

😆 With you, sometimes you need else (with me it can be other models entirely!) as Dave said we can all go through those times when our heart isn't in it.  A change is good as a rest.  Like the cannons Dave. 👍

Edited by AJohnson

17 hours ago, Dave_E said:

al differences in the size of the breech line and rings and eyebolts etc. that will be visible on the ship at this scale?

It's the same scale ship, so ropes and rings would all be the same.

I build cannons between stages, there are just so many of them, they're a good change up from time to time. I do have to note your trucks seem to be pretty small in relation to the carriage and gun. The Syren trucks are more to scale.

Hang in there, just go to the shop and work, it will all get going again.  We all get stuck from time to time.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi All,

I know it’s been said, but I’m looking at the original page of breeching and tackle lines for the different sizes of cannons and ships etc., where those inches for the diameter or the circumference (as it actually makes a huge difference). Sorry for my short memory. 🫤

Dave

6 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

the original page

What reference is this?

Rope measurements were typically circumference, but I have seen exceptions.

What does your table say for breeching on 6 pounder?

Lavery says the breechings for 4 and 6 pounders were 4 inch circumference..

The tackle was 2 inch for less than 24 pounds.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

That’s what I’m looking at. Thanks Greg, just making sure that 4” was circumference! 👍😀 Ordered some scale rope from ROS.

Dave

Happy Saturday to All,

Well… I don’t think this is a difficult decision. 😆 This took me most of the day. I imagine the time will shorten as I get the rhythm going. This was a first, made all my own eyes and nails (just noticed I don’t have the breech rings on yet). Hats off to Syren for a nice carriage kit. The cannon is the MS Britannia, I’m happy with it. I know, missed the axle wheel retainers. At this scale, they’re going to stay missed. 😄 Went with natural wood wheels on this one just to see if I liked it, they might end up black. Thanks for dropping by! 👍

E0B7EF12-5601-4DE0-B55D-F75F2CDD9690.thumb.jpeg.b74e34611190b7b19dbae3bffe4b35dd.jpeg09894215-2EA4-4EA3-A9D3-3E2E965D4C8C.thumb.jpeg.8fda4b4775253f73f531da24e2ed5c9d.jpeg

9549788A-1015-4700-9417-BD80C4296E25.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

I agree. That was a good decision Dave. One heck of a difference isn’t there.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Ok, 1 down, 9 to go. 😄 The omission of the breeching ring when I thought I was done was a boo-boo. I think I’ll have it on the eye when I put it into the carriage! I also painted all the metal after it was installed. The blackened annealed wire actually looks anemic when next to a black painted piece. So all the metal on the ship is painted or all not. What do you all do/think?31D67852-E340-4E16-9F58-248CC3EB2814.thumb.jpeg.066cb682e9aaf4f51f2dce4238487dcd.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Dave, I think the carriage and cannon look great except the wheels need to be darker, IMHO. I treat all my brass with Casey's but wind up painting over it as the treatment never looks right. 

Your new cannon is light years better than the one the right. The natural wheels look great, that’s how I’m doing mine.  I like that you made your own eyebolts, but would offer the breaching rings are way out of scale too large. Check the Syren Ship Models build monograph for Cheerful or my build log, which followed it) for a best way of making and installing breech lines.  .45 - .5 mm rope is a good size for the breech rope in my opinion. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Glenn!

I looked over your Cheerful build. Your eyebolts and rings… are those blackened annealed or blackened brass, or an off grey/black paint? They just don’t stand out like “black” painted parts. I like them and wish to emulate your process.

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

4 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Your new cannon is light years better than the one the right.

Totally agree with Glenn.

For the future maybe consider 3D printed barrels in black resin.   If you provide a 3D drawing at full scale, the printer can adjust his equipment to any scale you want.  If you are using Blomefield pattern guns the ring on the cascabel will be cast as part of the barrel although at tiny scales, the ring may be problematic for some printers.  Printed barrels are usually about $0.50 each or thereabouts so not a huge investment if you want to give them a try.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

5 hours ago, Dave_E said:

blackened annealed or blackened brass, or an off grey/black paint

Straight up dark annealed steel wire, no paint or blackening. I may hit a shiny spot with Admiralty Iron Works black (my favorite black paint) for the most part I don’t touch them just for the reason you stated.  
44BAAC29-4634-4E3D-BB7B-FCE8A41BA5B0.thumb.jpeg.55f1191a6fa7fb57b806705bae114cbb.jpeg

Wire is wire, but I like this Hillman brand bought on Amazon. 

Regards,

Glenn

Further to Glenn's post on the breechings size, which is spot on, the following may be of interest, if even only as a guide for rigging guns.  

Allan

1943498704_TackleandBreechingscantlings.jpg.30561620a8ca49ce6d543206faecc171.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 3 weeks later...

Hope so Dave, always like to see how much detail you put in your builds. You make it look easy.   :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Just give it time Dave. We all wind up getting sidetracked every now and again.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!