Russian T-62A Tank by CDW - Tamiya - 1/35 Scale FINISHED

The T-62A was an evolution of the Russian T-55 main battle tank first seen in 1961. Remarkably, this 60+ year-old tank can be seen in combat today serving the Russians in Donbas, Ukraine. The Russians still have reserves of this venerable old design in great numbers.

I’ll be building this model using some upgraded parts as the old Tamiya kit is rather dated.

E56B5586-FF62-45DB-9471-F11717A68645.jpeg

Edited by CDW

I'm here Brother, any specific period in mind?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Construction of the T-62A is very simple and basic. As such, I will not be taking and posting copious photographs of the construction phase. Basic cleanup of seam lines and spruce attachment points are about all that’s required to construct a nice model.

I will focus most of the future posts on this build on the finishing and painting phase. I may create some custom made stowage pieces and if I do, will provide some photos and words about that.

In all, future posts will be much fewer than with the previous project. This one should be finished in rather short order due to the simple construction.

0F15FCFE-A27E-40D6-9602-3B5D09D14136.jpeg

ABFD4681-63AF-4864-94E7-6E6DADDD8B2E.jpeg

DF1F33AD-49C0-4D04-B256-B68945A5C579.jpeg

On 7/1/2022 at 10:05 PM, CDW said:

Negative. This is an OLD Tamiya mold, very basic.

No problem. I was really making more of a snide comment on the unfortunate design flaw of the original. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Just curious... is that fuel tank on aft end in the box art?   Seems like a bad idea to even strap a barrel or two of fuel on a tank.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I  hope someone chimes in to correct me if I am wrong Mark as I know almost nothing about tanks of any period or nation. But I think if you are referring about the drum shaped tanks on the aft end of the tank these were kind of the tank equivalent of drop tanks on an aircraft. Hoist them into the holders and strap them down and instant extra 400 liters of fuel for transporting the tank under it's own power. Most tanks are not noted for their mileage, especially cross country. When the tank was entering into a combat environment or deployment the drums could be dropped in seconds whether or not they still had fuel in them or not. Again hopefully the tank experts can either confirm this or straighten me out. I would appreciate either. 

My question would be all the Jerry cans scattered all over the fenders in special holders. ??????????:huh: They don't look like they are intended to be dropped in a hurry. Water?:unsure:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Some could be water, Lou. Our guys carry 2 sets of Jerry cans, color coded for fuel or water.

I think I fired a few Maverick air to ground missiles at a few of those, during some live fire exercises we flew in.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the info on external fuel tanks.  I didn't know they were "droppable".   Jerry Cans did/do seem to be common on almost all armored vehicles for both fuel and water.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

While I am pretty certain that the drums are "optional" fuel. I am not 100% about "droppable." I just "assumed" by the look of the mounting that this was the case. If it is not then I think it should be. If kept on board it would just seem like tank BBQ fuel with tanker being the main menu. But then diesel can be kind of hard to burn so maybe they just play the odds.:unsure:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, CDW said:

It can readily be dropped and is optional to begin with for extended range, however I don’t think it’s a push-button arraignment from inside while the tank is moving along. 🤒

Probably straps  with one of those  locking  clasps.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 hours ago, CDW said:

This I believe is a very good piece on the development and production of the T-62. It also introduces the listener to Soviet tank doctrine post WW2/lessons learned. Well worth the time to hear it out IMHO.

Fantastic musem that is  by the way  - well worth a  visit.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Just saw the Tank Museum link. I've watched many of their videos -- a great resource.

That is a deep rabbit hole isn't it?  Some days it's a tough choice to build or watch videos.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I would do both but haven't done a tank in decades.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

If any of  you guys are  crossing the pond or even coming over to the Uk  - I deffo  suggest a day at the Tank Museum  its that good, Superb exhibits  a fantastic  shop  (where you can stock up on your tank models)  and a good  rest/food area  with  rest rooms.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

8 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

If any of  you guys are  crossing the pond or even coming over to the Uk  - I deffo  suggest a day at the Tank Museum  its that good, Superb exhibits  a fantastic  shop  (where you can stock up on your tank models)  and a good  rest/food area  with  rest rooms.

OC.

Will do that if I cross over!

That is looking so nice Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.