Sloop Speedwell 1752 by Chuck - Ketch Rigged Sloop - POF - prototype build

First of all - mission accomplished!  Nothing about the way all of the stern elements come together is kit-like.  Bravo!

The thing I like so much about the Speedwell is that in addition to her elegant up-sweeping sheer-line, she has such a nice balance of carved work that really bring a lot of visual interest to the model.  As always, your engineering of these processes is ingenious.

That is quite an experience you are in for to be involved with a major film production, starring several of the best actors of our time.  The recognition and opportunity are well-deserved!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

You will have to let us know when this moving comes out.  It will really be fun to see the ship modeling part, knowing that you helped!   It makes me wonder if any of the cast will be drawn to the hobby as a result of seeing your models, the process, etc.

(Your Speedwell is looking absolutely stunning)

Alan

7 hours ago, Chuck said:

Thank you guys.  Work will slow down for a while.  I have been hired to help out on a feature film for the next couple of weeks.  The lead actor is a ship modeler.  I have been asked to help set up a believable ship model workshop and stage the home with my models along with others from my New Jersey club members.  Its exciting and a once in a lifetime thing I just couldnt pass up.

The lead character played by Ed Harris will be building my Medway Longboat kit in his workshop.  How great is that…along with my tools and other things to dress up his garage workshop.  I am

going to help teach them how to fake it as a ship modeler.

Starring Ed Harris, Dustin Hoffman, Jennifer Coolidge and Gabriel Union.  

What is the name of the flick. I was a safety diver in Jaws 3D.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

That's fantastic, Chuck.   Congrats and I hope you have some fun will doing it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, Chuck said:

Thank you guys.  Work will slow down for a while.  I have been hired to help out on a feature film for the next couple of weeks.  The lead actor is a ship modeler.  I have been asked to help set up a believable ship model workshop and stage the home with my models along with others from my New Jersey club members.  Its exciting and a once in a lifetime thing I just couldnt pass up.

The lead character played by Ed Harris will be building my Medway Longboat kit in his workshop.  How great is that…along with my tools and other things to dress up his garage workshop.  I am

going to help teach them how to fake it as a ship modeler.

Starring Ed Harris, Dustin Hoffman, Jennifer Coolidge and Gabriel Union.  

From model ships to movie star! Well done Chuck! Congratulations! When shall we expect to see your film debut? Very exciting! Does Ed actually build model ships or just his character? 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Darn, these Hollywood product placement deals are going to a whole new level! First it was fast food, soft drinks, and cars ... and now ship models! I'll bet Artesania is green with envy that they chose Syren and not Artesania as a subject. To make it extra realistic, you should tell Ed Harris to crawl around looking for a tiny part he dropped on the floor ... 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

2 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Darn, these Hollywood product placement deals are going to a whole new level! First it was fast food, soft drinks, and cars ... and now ship models! I'll bet Artesania is green with envy that they chose Syren and not Artesania as a subject. To make it extra realistic, you should tell Ed Harris to crawl around looking for a tiny part he dropped on the floor ... 

Yes!  With a flashlight whilst also swearing.  Now THAT would be an authentic scene. :D 

Funny!  Yes it is quite the experience.  The movie is called Riff Raff.  Its a remake of an old movie.  Should be fun.

I will be setting up a garage workshop for them down to the sawdust on the floor.  

Filming has begun and I should be in the thick of it for a while.

chuck

32 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Funny!  Yes it is quite the experience.  The movie is called Riff Raff.  Its a remake of an old movie.  Should be fun.

I will be setting up a garage workshop for them down to the sawdust on the floor.  

Filming has begun and I should be in the thick of it for a while.

chuck

Have fun!

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Fun stuff to see film making up close. Nice that ship modeling plays into the script. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I just got back from the set where they will be filming.  It was very interesting indeed.   I brought about half of the ship models and tools needed to set up the house and workshop.   I met some of the actors and an army of crew moving furniture around and staging the house.

I have to be back there for the next few days as they get most of the heavy stuff done.

Just a few of the items I am bringing.

All this stuff is mine and also from my local NJ club members.  The paintings will hang in a yacht club scene or two.  Painted by my friend and club/msw member Richard Lane.

Some of the models are his also along with Tom Ship Model (Tom Ruggiero) here on MSW and from local club. Some old tools and a kit stash etc. Old Nr Journals and books and an old Preac.

My old ropewalks and serving machine. An old coffee mug from a Joint clubs conference,LOL and one of my old hats.

You might notice my Longboat model is now American and the flag and name are changed for the movie…along with the Ed Harris character’s name on the side.  I made the name plate in my laser cutter…all together a very interesting experience so far.

The last photo shows how I will be setting up his workbench while he works on his longboat.

There will be a junk scrap box and all around messy shop my own and many of yours.

IMG_1236.jpeg

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpeg
IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1229.jpeg

Can you post pics of the workshop set you’re making? Are we going to see Winnie on the big screen?

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

No winnie…only small boats.  Lots of half built models from my shop just placed all over in his fake workshop.  But once I have it all set up I hope to have actual pics…maybe with some of actors if they would allow it.  But there are so many freaken rules.  

I coulda contributed some half built models lol.

Rules for rules and more rules on top of that! 

hope to see more, exciting project for sure.

3 minutes ago, mgatrost said:

What a great opportunity to bring a hobby that we all love, but most people know nothing about into the light.

That is my hope....if I can do my small part.   I do get vetoed a lot.   The movie isnt about ship modeling but the guy just happened to be a an experienced intermediate kit builder.   Many scenes will take place in the garage workshop.   I have a gigantic pile of old journals and seaways ships in scale mags to leave scattered throughout the house....LOL.  But they keep taking them away.

Its pretty friendly though.  I mentioned that my admiral doesnt like my ship model stuff all around the house either.  Then puzzled.... they asked me...."Your Admiral?"

I explained that many ship modelers refer to their significant others fondly or even not so fondly as the admiral.   They all laughed and have decided to write that into the script...LOL.  They want the guy to be a real ship modeler.  One scene the wife enters and breaks a model and yells at the actor to clean up all the sawdust and mess.   Sawdust I happily swept up from my shop floor the night before.

Chuck

4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

One scene the wife enters and breaks a model and yells at the actor to clean up all the sawdust and mess.   

That must be the intro to the fight scene. :D 

11 minutes ago, knightyo said:

That must be the intro to the fight scene. :D 

Or the divorce proceedings. Lol

Wow! Tha's indeed very, very cool!

I hope we can watch the movie here in Europe too later on!

So the lead character is in fact trying to be you in his workshop....

But aren't we all trying to be some kind of version of Chuck here!?? LOL...

Frank.

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Extraordinary the way that life flows. My admiral invited me back into the kitchen to build as she missed me disappearing downstairs.

Ed Harris! What a great actor - 'The Right Stuff'. I could tell you stories about ship model making for Master and Commander and King Kong here in Wellington but that diverts.

Wow - an amazing thing to come out of your amazing dedication and your amazing work.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

On 11/23/2023 at 4:37 PM, Chuck said:

I am going to help teach them how to fake it as a ship modeler.

Great news Chuck. Don't be surprised if Ed Harris is a good student. He has a reputation for diving deep when approaching a new subject.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold