Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C by CDW & AJohnson - FINISHED - Airfix - 1:48

1 hour ago, CDW said:

You are right, those stock seats look great. I wonder what other aircraft might have used the same seats? I’ve saved my stock ones since I used aftermarket seats in my model. In retrospect, coulda’ shoulda’ saved the money and went stock.

But if you did, you wouldn’t have the extra parts for your “spare parts” stash!

I have hoards of lost-wax and PE brass, plastic, resin, and laser cut wood fittings and whatnot from my model railway efforts (not to mention a “scrapyard” full of locomotives and rolling stock). All from either projects that didn’t quite work out or from ideas for future projects that haven’t yet materialized. I could probably restore and super detail one or two of those donor locomotives without spending another penny (provided I find the right inspirational subject matter).

You’ll find a good home for those seats!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Ejector seats done and installed in the cockpit tub.  Thanks to Craig for blazing the trail in posts #47-#68, there appears to be subtle difference between the kit part and the 3D printed aftermarket part, but given how much they will be visible once enclosed in the fuselage, only we will know!

I decided to loop the long blue straps at the base of the seat and turn them into "leg garters" / "ankle restraints" as discussed in the tread when Craig was adding his.  Finished off with a coat of flat varnish to hide my C-A. glue seepages in places from under the straps! :rolleyes:  Time to glue together the front section and get on with the rest of the fuselage, which looking at it won't take long.

Thanks for the likes and popping by. 😁

Bucc-19.JPG

Bucc-20.JPG

Bucc-21.JPG

Bucc-22.JPG

Bucc-23.JPG

Bucc-24.JPG

Bucc-25.JPG

I think you've captured the look of an M-B seat quite well, Andrew. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the likes and comments guys.

Moved on to the main fuselage. I won't replicate the posts/pictures Craig has already done, so just some highlights of things I found on my kit.  Namely small niggly "short shot" areas in the mould.  The main one being the intake on the leading edge of the tail fin and then on the trailing edge of the fin itself, just above the rudder. Filled with some putty and drilled out again, but I think it still needs some fine sanding to get as close as I can to how it should look. @CDW did you have this?  Also had to grind off some prominent ejector pin marks in some placed that would prevent a clean fit.

Next onto the wing-fold joints and I will try to replicate the work Craig did.

Thanks for following along! 🤓

Bucc-25.JPG

Bucc-26.JPG

Bucc-27.JPG

Bucc-29.JPG

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Here is that tour of the Airfix factory if anyone cares to see it. I thought it was interesting. Jenesis Designs and Modelcraft is a very good scale modeling channel IMO and something not seen too often...a female scale model enthusiast. 

I saw a similar video from “Model Minutes”:

He also made a visit to Airfix HQ:

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Well despite the extra day off this weekend for the Coronation, I haven't got much in the way of updates.  Could be something to do with a rather nice Beer the local Brewery had produced to celebrate the Coronation 👑 :cheers:

Did manage to finish the undercarriage assemblies, drilled out a few parts; including the fuel dump vents for the slipper tanks and fuselage.

The main bulk of the kit is together now, and I'm in the phase of sand, fill, primer, so nothing too photogenic to post up yet.

I'm going to put the engine covers and crew ladders on for added interest, plus I have some P.E. wheel chocks left over from my other Buccaneer, so I will do these also between sessions on the fuselage/wings.

Big Ears.JPG

Bucc-30.JPG

Bucc-31.JPG

Bucc-32.JPG

Bucc-33.JPG

Evening all, I have been trying to wrangle the wing joints into something like a presentable condition.  As Craig mentioned in his log, it looks like this kit has been design from the outset for it's wings to be folded and so it does not fit together easily if you want to have the wings in the down position.  I'm still not 100% happy with the seam/joint, but it is getting better; some progress pictures below.  Also made start on the ladders and wheel chocks and a few other little assemblies, to ward off the boredom of filling and sanding joins in the main parts.

Thanks for looking in and the likes. 😁

Bucc-34.JPG

Bucc-35.JPG

Bucc-36.JPG

Bucc-37.JPG

Bucc-38.JPG

Bucc-39.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a nerve-wracking day or so when MSW was doings it's "Error 502" and flashbacks to MSW 1.0 were a recurrent and troubling thought, I am relived to be able to do this little update!  😁

Much sanding/filling and undercoating still going on.  With little side details being worked on for a change.  Wheel-chocks, intake/engine covers and crew ladders.

Getting close to actually cracking open the Dark Sea Grey.

Mightily relived not to be logging into MSW 3.0!  :cheers:

Bucc-40.JPG

Bucc-41.JPG

Bucc-42.JPG

Bucc-43.JPG

Lovely  work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks all for the likes and kind comments.  Suddenly progress seems visible! - We have a Dark Sea Grey Buccaneer!  I need to leave this alone to harden before doing the tan coloured panels and silver leading edges.  

Started the masking (inside and out) and under coating of the canopies.

Things might slow down on this build log, as we had a bit of misfortune just over a week ago in the house and suffered a water leak from the loft header tank.  So far it has just been removing wallpaper and installation of dehumidifiers, but in the next couple of days the builders are bringing down the effected ceilings and insulations, so things are going to start getting turned upside down for a bit!  

Bucc-44.JPG

Bucc-45.JPG

Bucc-46.JPG

Bucc-47.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Sorry to hear about the leaks, a painful experience which I hope will be soon over. The dark sea grey finish looks great.

Best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Thanks Craig and Dan for your kind words, things are moving along and we are at least dry now.  Just taking it as it comes and rebuild/decorate once insurance is sorted, at least got that.

Some progress on the Buccaneer also.  Done a wash and added foil leading edges and rocket pod body and got the canopy ready for adding at the end.

Getting close to adding some decals.

Thanks for the like and looking in folks. 😁

Bucc-53.JPG

Bucc-48.JPG

Bucc-49.JPG

Bucc-50.JPG

Bucc-51.JPG

Bucc-52.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Well Done my friend....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Why thank you guys for the kind words and following along and the great stories and info shared as these builds got going. I love MSW. 😁

I also noticed the new tag of “done!” 🤣 thanks, at long last! @ccoyle? 😉 Thanks admins for taking an interest and keeping us all shipshape. :imNotWorthy:

Edited by AJohnson

A really impressive big model, I like it a lot. Good choice to keep the airbrake closed, I rarely see it in models. This allows to appreciate the complex lines of this aircraft. This model is one of the kit to do on my list.

Congrats,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Wow, that came out fantastic Andrew!  Great job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Very nicely done  -  she looks  the  business.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1