Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C by CDW & AJohnson - FINISHED - Airfix - 1:48

AJohnson

16 hours ago, Egilman said:

The aircraft above I presume is US based cause that looks a lot like the Nevada desert mountains in the background and sponsored by Shell Oil as well... (very deep pocket)

Cape Town, South Africa based. Thunder City, the company that owned them, is defunct now after the owner died of a heart attack a couple of years ago. Some of the collection has been sold off, so we might see a Buc flying again soon...

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

3 hours ago, Jolley Roger said:

Cape Town, South Africa based. Thunder City, the company that owned them, is defunct now after the owner died of a heart attack a couple of years ago. Some of the collection has been sold off, so we might see a Buc flying again soon...

The fellow featured in the video passed away, the oil company exec.? That’s sad to learn.

21 hours ago, CDW said:

The fellow featured in the video passed away, the oil company exec.? That’s sad to learn.

Apologies, might have caused some confusion here.

The chap in the video is Ian Pringle, who is still alive and kicking and has now become an author Ian Pringle

He used to own a Buc that was managed by Thunder City

Mike Beachy Head was the owner of Thunder City and he passed away in 2017.

A company called Hangar 51 has bought the Buccs and has moved them by road from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth for restoration. (Dec 2022 and Jan 2023)

316828865_10160643140498894_2565634991025494049_n.thumb.jpg.6ffe2986f6e7c69b7955e7911fb73bad.jpg

316556262_10160643140393894_8401965120323551475_n.jpg

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

Yep, but for this bird you need that super smooth finish cause that is the way they were in real life....

It was worth the work believe me, the effort is showing...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I think pretty much all modern Airfix kits have Cartograf decals. If it’s not indicated on the sheet, the Cartograf logo should be printed on the side of the box.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

17 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

I think pretty much all modern Airfix kits have Cartograf decals. If it’s not indicated on the sheet, the Cartograf logo should be printed on the side of the box.

Andy

That's a very good move on Airfix part. I remember the days when their decals were infamously bad but then again, so were just about everyone else's decals too.

Under the heavy yellow light, it appears a very very dark grey..

But take a look at the bottom two pics, the vertical stabilizer under the background soft white light, appears the more correct bluish grey...

In shadow it appears very dark...

Hard to tell what is going on here, but yes, the type of light makes a huge difference...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

10 hours ago, Egilman said:

Under the heavy yellow light, it appears a very very dark grey..

But take a look at the bottom two pics, the vertical stabilizer under the background soft white light, appears the more correct bluish grey...

In shadow it appears very dark...

Hard to tell what is going on here, but yes, the type of light makes a huge difference...

I don't think that's the problem. The camera's meter is trying to average all the light sources together to get an exposure. The meter is reading the brighter white background and underexposing the foreground image. Likewise with the bright blue background, the camera is trying auto white balance the entire photo and the blue is throwing it off.

Try setting the camera on aperature preferred mode, A or AV on dial, set the camera's metering system to "Center-weighted",  pick any F-stop that gives you good depth of focus (f/8 to f/22), zoom in on the model and get an exposure reading, press the AE or AEL button to lock the exposure in the camera, zoom back out to compose the frame, then take the photo. If you're still not happy with the exposure, use the cameras exposure compensation feature ( + or - )  to auto adjust exposure, then repeat the above to take another photo. 

43 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

I don't think that's the problem. The camera's meter is trying to average all the light sources together to get an exposure. The meter is reading the brighter white background and underexposing the foreground image. Likewise with the bright blue background, the camera is trying auto white balance the entire photo and the blue is throwing it off.

Try setting the camera on aperature preferred mode, A or AV on dial, set the camera's metering system to "Center-weighted",  pick any F-stop that gives you good depth of focus (f/8 to f/22), zoom in on the model and get an exposure reading, press the AE or AEL button to lock the exposure in the camera, zoom back out to compose the frame, then take the photo. If you're still not happy with the exposure, use the cameras exposure compensation feature ( + or - )  to auto adjust exposure, then repeat the above to take another photo. 

You are a veritable walking encyclopedia when it comes to cameras, Jack. Thanks! 

Alot of times, I'm being pragmatic and just use my iPhone to snap a photo, other times my Nikon but I need to take the time to study my Nikon camera and practice with it following your directions. There are tons of features and settings on this camera I have never used before.

Reading the fine print...here are less than half the data decals that go on this model, probably closer to a third of them. Just going to need to exercise patience to get them all down. 

DSCN3255.thumb.JPG.5c76d445acacd9746158aa9cb6ed46b2.JPG

DSCN3252.JPG

DSCN3253.JPG

DSCN3254.JPG

28 minutes ago, CDW said:

You are a veritable walking encyclopedia when it comes to cameras, Jack. Thanks! 

I used to do this instinctively with a hand held light meter and a mechanical Pentax SLR, especially with nightime "available light" photography.  I'd meter the scene, put a little right or left English on the meter reading and snap the photo and 95% of the time get the photo I was looking for. Now I'm trying to get a computer to do the same.  Kinda like driving the new 2023 cars, you're driving a computer not a car. I'm still trying to master the DSLR. My brain knows what to do but getting the camera on the same page is sometimes a big challenge.

I got my first 35mm camera for 8th grade graduation, bought my first 35mm Pentax SLR after my Freshman year in college where I also learned my way around a darkroom, setup my own basement darkroom 2 years later.  Don't know what my kids are going to do with the tens of thousands of B/W and Color negatives and Color slides when I pass on, but ............  Oh and all the Pentax cameras too ..........  I have probably the only 110 film SLR with interchangeable lenses (Pentax 110) ever produced. 

Take heart, film photography is not as dead as you may think it is:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article-film-camera-photo-comeback/

Just like vinyl records, there is a growing niche segment that is spurring a revival of sorts.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

2 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Take heart, film photography is not as dead as you may think it is:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/article-film-camera-photo-comeback/

Just like vinyl records, there is a growing niche segment that is spurring a revival of sorts.

Andy

Hmm ! Damn publishers! They want you to pay $1.50 per week to read one article one time. Get the same thing down here. 

Yes, I have seen that film is making a comeback. But now a roll of film is preposterously expensive.  

7 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

But now a roll of film is preposterously expensive.  

Yep, but the cameras are relatively inexpensive.... (the Pentax 110 can be had for under 40.00 for the camera alone, a complete setup with lenses and filters in a custom case for under 300.00)

Quote:

10 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Yep, but the cameras are relatively inexpensive.... (the Pentax 110 can be had for under 40.00 for the camera alone, a complete setup with lenses and filters in a custom case for under 300.00)

Interesting ! I have the camera with base lens, plus telephoto lens plus the custom flash unit.  Now if I could just find 110 film and someone to process it (my darkroom can only handle 2 1/4 square and 35mm B/W). 

Edited by Jack12477

19 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Hmm ! Damn publishers! They want you to pay $1.50 per week to read one article one time. Get the same thing down here. 

Yes, I have seen that film is making a comeback. But now a roll of film is preposterously expensive.  

Hmm… I don’t have a subscription, but I have access to read the whole article. Must be something connected with the IP address, it might not like “foreigners”… 😕

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

10 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Must be something connected with the IP address, it might not like “foreigners”… 😕

I guess they don't like the neighbors next door. 🤷 😁

17 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks! Will you be applying all those small decals? I'm trying to do them all and they are very small to work with. It's a tedious challenge to be sure.

I try to add all the small decals, usually first then “reward” myself by saving the national insignia, squadron markings, nose art etc to last. Unless of course there is a small stencil on top of a larger marking.  I was hoping to make progress on my Bucc soon, but work taking me an away from home this coming week, so maybe next !   Enjoying seeing your’s come together now. 

Edited by AJohnson

19 hours ago, CDW said:

You are a veritable walking encyclopedia when it comes to cameras, Jack. Thanks

@CDW  sent you a PM

I also  used to love 35mm   film cameras,    had a few  before digi  came out  -  my main  subjects  where  Aircraft  and Airshows.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I may have finished the decals today had it not been for an errand or two as well as a visit to the eye doctor for a yearly exam.

She's beginning to look very Royal Navy to me now. Need to finish my canopy (and some decals on it), pylons and weapons (decals on these too) before I can call it done. Will put a protective coat of satin varnish over everything before putting on the canopy.

DSCN3256.JPG

DSCN3257.JPG