Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C by CDW & AJohnson - FINISHED - Airfix - 1:48

AJohnson

I am building the S.2D model as was stationed aboard Ark Royal. The kit provides the option for an open or closed bomb bay. There are lots of interesting details to see inside the bomb bay, but I am not sure whether an open bomb bay would be appropriate for the version I'm building. I don't intend to place bombs inside it but would like to leave it open so the details can be seen. What's your opinion/knowledge of it. Should I leave it opened or close it?

57 minutes ago, CDW said:

I am building the S.2D model as was stationed aboard Ark Royal. The kit provides the option for an open or closed bomb bay. There are lots of interesting details to see inside the bomb bay, but I am not sure whether an open bomb bay would be appropriate for the version I'm building. I don't intend to place bombs inside it but would like to leave it open so the details can be seen. What's your opinion/knowledge of it. Should I leave it opened or close it?

If you’re looking for random opinions, (and mine can get very random if needed 🤪), I’d say leave it open, bombs or not. You could display them beside the model on a bomb trolley or something, if you felt.

For my Wellington, I’m very happy I left the bomb bay open and would have done so even if I didn’t get the aftermarket PE. 

Appropriate or not, showing off some of the “guts” can make for a nice interesting model.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

3 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

If you’re looking for random opinions, (and mine can get very random if needed 🤪), I’d say leave it open, bombs or not. You could display them beside the model on a bomb trolley or something, if you felt.

For my Wellington, I’m very happy I left the bomb bay open and would have done so even if I didn’t get the aftermarket PE. 

Appropriate or not, showing off some of the “guts” can make for a nice interesting model.

Andy

My sentiment exactly but I wasn't certain whether the bomb bay is operable on this particular version IRL. This version has advanced targeting pods/capability for TV guided bombs/rockets that hang from wing mounted pylons. 

Don't know if maybe they put a fuel tank in the bomb bay, like they did in the F-105. Pure conjecture on my part. Maybe our resident researcher has the apropos facts?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Don't know if maybe they put a fuel tank in the bomb bay, like they did in the F-105. Pure conjecture on my part. Maybe our resident researcher has the apropos facts?

39 minutes ago, CDW said:

I was hoping one of our friends in the UK may have superior knowledge about the aircraft they could share with us. 

According to the texts I have, It depends on where it served and what era... The original Buccs serving with the RN filled the same role as our A-4's, low-medium speed delivery of multiple weapons...

As time went on the role changed... The Bucc's had outstanding low level flight characteristics and with the bomb bay designed to deliver Nuclear Weapons she was phased in as the RN's nuclear penetrator aircraft, the same as our navy's Vigilante's

It's last role was with the Royal Airforce, it served the same function as our F-111's, high speed, nap of the earth nuclear delivery, in fact the Royal AF decided to take over retired RN Bucc's instead of purchasing new F-111's.... In this role hard points were added to the wings for guided munitions, and the bomb bay was filled with either a partial droppable fuel tank or a full bay long range fuel tank that was not droppable...

They served in this last role until the aircraft was finally retired due to airframe stress failures that overtook the aircraft...

And a note on my sources... I have three books on the Blackburn Buccaneer's... When I found the info in them, I inquired to the publishers of I could post some photos and selected texts from them to the forum... 

They told me no.... They do not allow free use of their materials... (even though most of those materials they obtained for free)

They insisted their copyright's be honored... 

That's why I can't post this stuff for your own eyes which is my usual practice...

Those books are available on the internet if you know where to look... {chuckle} (and they know it)

If anyone else has more info, please chime in I hate doing things this way, I prefer to share openly...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thank you for your efforts, brother.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

The weapons this aircraft version is modeled to carry are two TV Martel anti-shipping missiles and a single Martel AS.37 anti-radiation missile, The fourth pylon carries a Martel TV-guidance data link pod. So is this aircraft more like a Royal Navy version of a Wild Weasel? Seems like it to me. This is why I'm not sure if the bomb bay doors would remain operational. It's conceivable to me a fuel tank may possibly be added there as the slipper tanks don't appear on this version. Mind you, this is all wild speculation on my part.

Here's what I have learned from my own puny research efforts:

The first operational Buccaneer aircraft was the S.1 assigned to the RN

The S.2 received upgraded, more fuel efficient Rolls Royce engines

S,2A's had modified airframes and improved avionics, and transferred to the RAF

S.2B's were modified S.2A's with a bulged bomb bay designed to carry an extra fuel tank as well as improved targeting systems carrying the Martel anti-shipping missiles and anti-radiation missile. Used by the RAF during the Gulf War.

S.2D's (my model version) were RN S.2's upgraded to "full S.2B standards". 

Now, what I also know is that the S.2D does not have a bulged bomb bay. So this leads me to believe the "full S.2B standards" did not include the extra fuel tank or if it did, it was a smaller one as there are no bulged bomb bay doors. It does have the equal/same avionics and targeting systems of the S.2B

28 minutes ago, CDW said:

Now, what I also know is that the S.2D does not have a bulged bomb bay. So this leads me to believe the "full S.2B standards" did not include the extra fuel tank

Correct, Then it wasn't the Nuclear armed penetrator version...  The purpose of the slipper tanks was to extend loiter time over the target area... So really you can close up the bomb bay and not worry about it if you like or open it for the extra detail of an empty bomb bay... Either way works well for the version you have, although since they were set up for the Martell, it would have the avionics in the bomb bay for that... So on deck, aboard ship, the bomb bay would be closed most of the time... (top secret stuff and all that)

Martell's, Paveway's or a CBU package with a closed bomb bay is probably the easiest to do... (and the most common scheme)

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Craig, your configuration is more of a  anti-ship bomber. The AR missile is most likely launched to take out ship borne radars to allow the Bucc backseater some time to refine and shoot the the TV missiles. Preemptive shots like that are a good technique in a hostile environment. Did one over Hanoi, way back when.

I know messing with a Maverick missile takes heavy concentration by the backseater, picking out a target in a semi benign environment, like a Red Flag exercise. It's not a real High Def TV picture; looked more like an old black and white tiny TV screen. That limits whose eyes are outside to just the pilot.

Ken

Not sure  if this  helps  but it does  look  really interesting  with some  excellent  photos  when you click on the different  year links.

https://the-buccaneer-aviation-group.com/photos-videos-from-2022/

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

At the model show two weeks ago, they sold raffle tickets to raise money to help pay expenses. Tickets were a dollar each or thirty tickets for twenty dollars. I bought thirty tickets. There were multiple jars where the tickets could be placed with each jar representing a particular prize group. I put my tickets in a 1:32 aircraft jar, a 1:48 aircraft jar, a ship jar, and a paint & accessory jar. Multiple drawings were pulled each hour of the show and one grand prize drawing at the end. I hit one drawing in each of the four categories I entered. It was a lucky day I guess.

5D0FF7A4-FA6A-4E22-AFF4-C4C3011C9794.jpeg

77F2065A-54CD-4DDA-B4B0-6C1B2FE15DEC.jpeg

4CD82B10-FD47-48B4-8FE4-A33373A5C757.jpeg

5CDB8B7A-41B1-4C26-A636-BA5910E0B4C7.jpeg

BF100CFE-D00B-4C16-AD04-BE5F8E953293.jpeg

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Not sure  if this  helps  but it does  look  really interesting  with some  excellent  photos  when you click on the different  year links.

https://the-buccaneer-aviation-group.com/photos-videos-from-2022/

OC.

Thanks OC, some beautiful photos.

I'm puzzled about the 2022 photos as they show up as a Royal Navy aircraft, but it's painted (camo) and carries the bulged bomb bay of the S.2B which is an RAF aircraft. 

Great photo collection. I hope the jets stored outside get an occasional repaint. Seems they've preserved a good number of Buccs.

Nice haul at the show. If I hit one door prize, it's a lucky day. Well done.

Ken

1 hour ago, CDW said:

S.2B which is an RAF aircraft.

S.2B's were flow by both the RN & RAF...

Quote:

Nice!!

Seems to be a bunch of my countrymen, (New Zealanders), starting out. 🙂

It'll be interesting to look at other offerings in the future.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

20 hours ago, CDW said:

I hit one drawing in each of the four categories I entered. It was a lucky day I guess.

Nice score Craig!  Your model is looking great.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Looks like Kotare has plans to add more Spit variants. Beautiful castings and decals. Very nice.

Ken

2 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Nice score Craig!  Your model is looking great.

Gary

Thanks Gary!

10 hours ago, hof00 said:

Nice!!

Seems to be a bunch of my countrymen, (New Zealanders), starting out. 🙂

It'll be interesting to look at other offerings in the future.

Cheers....HOF.

12 minutes ago, Canute said:

Looks like Kotare has plans to add more Spit variants. Beautiful castings and decals. Very nice.

I read that this new company is comprised of former employees of Wingnut Wings. That would explain the fine castings we see on the Spit.

18 hours ago, CDW said:

@AJohnson Have you noticed the kit has some of the parts necessary to turn this into an S.2B? Just realized the wingtips are there. Need a set of bulged bomb bay doors, a small change in ordnance along with a different decal sheet. Anything else? I see parts on the trees that are not being used.

Yes I did spot when first looking into the box, there are a few parts not required for the S2.C/Ds  This is a common theme with the more recent Airfix releases, they must have a whole production run/alternative version release dates mapped out.  Shows some forward planning to get the most/economy out of the initial moulds.  I have the new 1/24 Spitfire Mk.IXc in stock and that is definitely set up for future releases including retracting tail-wheel, clipped wings, broad-chord “shark-fin” rudder, whole new engines forward of the firewall.  So take your pick - Mks. VIII/XXII/XXIV(high back) might be on the horizon. 😁

Edited by AJohnson

48 minutes ago, CDW said:

Has anyone heard from Popeye the Sailor (Denis)? Have not seen him around for a couple of months and am hoping all is well with him and his family.

No, good spot, he does tend to do “catch-up” posts every so often, as he doesn’t browse MSW constantly like addicted souls like us. Hope he is okay. 👍

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Has anyone heard from Popeye the Sailor (Denis)? Have not seen him around for a couple of months and am hoping all is well with him and his family.

I haven't either.  I just now emailed and PM'd him after seeing your post.   Fingers crossed that an answer comes back.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I do hope he and his family are alright. I miss his work. 😄

Ken

11 hours ago, CDW said:

10 hours ago, AJohnson said:

No, good spot, he does tend to do “catch-up” posts every so often, as he doesn’t browse MSW constantly like addicted souls like us. Hope he is okay. 👍

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I haven't either.  I just now emailed and PM'd him after seeing your post.   Fingers crossed that an answer comes back.

5 hours ago, Canute said:

I do hope he and his family are alright. I miss his work. 😄

He hasn't been on since January 27th, just over two months... That's unusual for him...

I certainly hope nothing has happened... Now I'm going to worry about it...

Quote: