Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C by CDW & AJohnson - FINISHED - Airfix - 1:48

AJohnson

The blue stripes are I think a NATO wide code for training weapons - no warheads. Yellow stripe means it's a war shot.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Canopy got masked and painted. Weapons and pylons got painted. Need to finish with decals on the TV Martel missiles and pylons. Everything needs a varnish to seal in the decals. Canopy is posed in place no glue for now until varnish is done. Also need to add navigation beacon and front LG light. After all that, should be able to call this finished.

@AJohnson pay close attention to your weapons pylons and the holes in the wings to mount them for your particular version choice. The pin/hole spacing on the outboard pylons is incorrect for the "A" version I chose. Not a big deal but easier to deal with before the wings are assembled.  

DSCN3260.JPG

DSCN3261.JPG

DSCN3262.JPG

DSCN3263.JPG

The RAF Buccs carried Pave Spike pods in Desert Storm. Those pods were the size of an AIM-7 Sparrow air to air missile; a bit smaller than the Martel data link pod. USAF Phantoms carried the Spike pod in the left forward Sparrow well.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Blackburn Buccaneer S.2D No. 809 Naval Air Squadron, HMS Ark Royal, August 1978
Time for me to put a bow on it and call this one done, finished.

Airfix has produced a very nice kit of a subject covered once before in 1:48 scale by Airfix but not nearly as nicely done in this new release. Light years better than the old mold. It's been a lot of fun and I am looking forward to a RAF Desert Storm edition as it appears they intend to release one later on from what I see on the sprues of this kit.

Looking forward also to Andrew's build. Thanks for following along and for all the comments, likes, and helpful information that was shared.

DSCN3265.JPG

DSCN3266.JPG

DSCN3267.JPG

DSCN3268.JPG

DSCN3269.JPG

DSCN3270.JPG

DSCN3271.JPG

DSCN3272.JPG

DSCN3273.JPG

DSCN3274.JPG

Edited by CDW

Definitely a show stopper!!! 

A very nice kit and your execution of the subject is superb.... Monochromatic paint schemes are very, very difficult to model correctly, Impressive

You sir are a master modeler...

Something I aspire to be some day...

Well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

18 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Great job !  Nice photos too. 

17 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Definitely a show stopper!!! 

A very nice kit and your execution of the subject is superb.... Monochromatic paint schemes are very, very difficult to model correctly, Impressive

You sir are a master modeler...

Something I aspire to be some day...

Well done...

9 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Very, very nice! Well done!

Andy

Thanks for the comment's gentlemen. Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Another Contest winner in the making..... 🙂

Yves

Should be on the cover of FSM...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Really nicely   done  mate,  one of the best  Buccs  I have seen built.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Great job, Craig. Definitely a show stopper. 👍

Ken

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Really nicely   done  mate,  one of the best  Buccs  I have seen built.

OC.

4 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Beautifully done, Craig!  Great construction and superb paint. Very, very nice.

Gary

6 hours ago, shipman said:

A grand job, lad. Well done.

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Great job, Craig. Definitely a show stopper. 👍

Thanks for the kind words gents.

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

Wonderful job Craig! You have set a high bar for me to follow. :imNotWorthy:

Back at home today from work, so hopefully some time at the workbench soon.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to following your build. I know you're going to do a fantastic job of it. Tell me again, which version will you be doing?

Beautifully done Craig, 👏👏 and I'm watching avidly for Andrews rendition 😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Beautiful neatly done model of a very sexy and curvy jet 😍

Congrats,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

On 4/21/2023 at 5:17 PM, CDW said:

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to following your build. I know you're going to do a fantastic job of it. Tell me again, which version will you be doing?

I'm settled on scheme B - XV162 as it looked with 801 Naval Air Squadron on HMS Hermes 1969.

Made a start at last, life getting in the way means I've missed this party somewhat, so won't bore people with a "clone" of Craig's great build.  I'll just show the main stages and anything slightly different I might be doing.  First thing I have noticed is there a quite a few ejector pin marks to sort out, I'm not going to go mad with them as most are not going to be visible when finished, just want to make sure.  Also the nose cone weight was interesting, not seen a container like this before, I filled with lead shot.  I have also scraped off the raised instrument details for the P.E. set.

Bucc-06.JPG

Bucc-07.JPG

Bucc-08.JPG

Bucc-09.JPG

Bucc-10.JPG

I've started on the slipper tanks Craig, and they are difficult to align correctly, might need a bit of sanding and filling to get that smooth shape!

Meanwhile the cockpit is painted, washed and dry-brushed a bit before adding the P.E.  Every time I try P.E sets I end up cursing, but like a sucker keep coming back for more!

Next up the ejection seats.

Bucc-11.JPG

Bucc-12.JPG

Bucc-13.JPG

Bucc-14.JPG

Bucc-15.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Cockpit looks awesome Andrew.

About those tanks, is the fit issue where they join the wings or just with the tank halves themselves? 

Using aftermarket seats in my cockpit, I had a small amount of difficulty getting the front seat mounted to the floor with the rear instrument panel attached to it, but you probably will have no issues using the stock seats (which look very good by the way).

Thanks Craig, It’s getting the sections together to form the tanks themselves, you may have noticed they come in three sections (overly complex to me, halves would have been fine). The fit onto the wings looks to be fine, and they will hide a good section of the wing fold joint on the underside. 👍

The kit seats are actually not that bad.  Dressed up in P.E. seatbelts they will pass for Martin baker 'bang seats' I think.  I drilled out the odd detail to improve the looks; side handle and painted in a few details.  Looking on line for Buccaneer seat details and colouring it is amazing the variations out there.  Clearly the result of many years use and maintenance resulted in no two seats looking the same, so I just tried to copy the best looking pictures i had to hand. 

Next up P.E. / C.A. and tweezers! 🤯

Bucc-16.JPG

Bucc-17.JPG

Bucc-18.JPG