Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C by CDW & AJohnson - FINISHED - Airfix - 1:48

AJohnson

23 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

The fit doesn’t look too bad generally Craig, but the intakes gaps reminiscent of the 1990’s mould. Great job in filling and cleaning up, good tip on sanding ’wet’. 

Airfix really stepped up their game with this iteration of the Buccaneer. The first one in the 90's was a bit of a beast to do, but it turned out very nice when it was all said and done. This new mold is WAY better than that one so I have high hopes for it. I still prefer the S.2B version, though, in Gulf War colors/markings. I also like to use Mr Surfacer 1000 as my primer coat for the finish. I'll reduce it around/about 6 parts leveling thinner to 4 parts paint, and lay it down in thin coats so as not to hide fine surface detail while still leveling it all up.

By the way, this reminds me this is a BIG airplane. It will take up a lot of shelf space.

8 hours ago, CDW said:

Trying to decide whether to pose the speed brake opened or closed. Photos of it on the tarmac shows it both ways.

Is there any way you could make it moveable? Or does the assembly preclude that possibility?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

Is there any way you could make it moveable? Or does the assembly preclude that possibility?

Andy

Not with the kit provided parts but I’m sure it could be done with the right reference material and time/effort. It’s a fairly complex assembly. Will probably pose mine closed.

PS: After looking some more at photos of it, the open position offers a lot of visual effect not seen in a closed position, so I may do it open. So much more to see that way.

Edited by CDW

30 minutes ago, CDW said:

Not with the kit provided parts but I’m sure it could be done with the right reference material and time/effort. It’s a fairly complex assembly. Will probably pose mine closed.

PS: After looking some more at photos of it, the open position offers a lot of visual effect not seen in a closed position, so I may do it open. So much more to see that way.

My 1990's gulf war one is open, so I will do mine closed this time.

IMG_1595.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

29 minutes ago, CDW said:

What’s going on here?

Just below the horizontal stabilizers and attached to the vertical stab are a set of “fins” that protrude to each side. These would appear to interfere with the operation of the elevators moving in a downward motion. 

09837B66-CF1F-4329-AFC5-0F2A868D98EF.jpeg

EDE03702-44AF-48A3-89DC-D4233BF03081.jpeg

Yeah I think that is correct, I don’t understand the mechanism or why it was used but the whole elevator/tail plane tilted on top of the tail unit and also the traditional elevators moved up independently. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will know why?  Sure there would be a reason, maybe to do with the aircraft being design to go near supersonic at low altitude, a design feature to avoid “flutter” is it on the elevators?

04E6FB5E-1B0A-4EFF-A1C7-0E63E6237DBD.jpeg

Edited by AJohnson

35 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Yeah I think that is correct, I don’t understand the mechanism or why it was used but the whole elevator/tail plane tilted on top of the tail unit and also the traditional elevators moved up independently. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will know why?  Sure there would be a reason, maybe to do with the aircraft being design to go near supersonic at low altitude, a design feature to avoid “flutter” is it on the elevators?

04E6FB5E-1B0A-4EFF-A1C7-0E63E6237DBD.jpeg

Thanks for that photo and information Arthur. That's a different feature than anything else I have seen before now. It looks like you can see the outline of where the elevators rest upon those "fins" in the photo. Very interesting.

3 hours ago, AJohnson said:

2 hours ago, CDW said:

That's a different feature than anything else I have seen before now. It looks like you can see the outline of where the elevators rest upon those "fins" in the photo.

It's a live tail....

The whole horizontal stabilizer turns up and down....  And yes, it is to effect better control and eliminate leading edge compressibility issues at high speeds...  The trailing edges are a throwback to when the aircraft was first designed with conventional elevators... (much like the F-86 was)

On the F-86, the former elevators became the new trim tabs.... I suspect much the same happened here, probably saved them several millions of development pounds/dollars....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

So the tail-plane is a stabilator, like on the F-4 and F101. Better control at high Mach. And the old "elevators" were trim tabs. Very interesting. In Arthur's photo, you can see the pathway on the vertical tail with the indentation for the tail-plane going nose down.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

If I'm getting this right, it's like the early days of flight where the whole horizontal stabilizer moved before they went to elevators?  Same for the vertical before going to a rudder.  Maybe the old saying is right.. "there is nothing new under the sun"?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Indeed  Craig  - it should be a  smooth  cone  without the  ledge  - 

OC.

Bucc.jpg

Bucc 2.jpg

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hey Brothers, I've been doing some research into this tailplane issue....

Yes the ledge is there, it was there on all Blackburn Bucs....

The Horizontal stabilizer is a live surface, fully moveable, It never had an elevator, and the round fairings moved with the livetail... Those surfaces that look like elevators are flaps, they are designed to provide uplift to the nose of the aircraft at low speed as the aircraft at low speed tended to pitch down... The flaps were automatic and moved as aerodynamics dictated.. The flying tail also had boundary control as well as hot air deicing...

There was no need for downward deflection flaps on the aft edge of the tailplane so they were designed to remain neutral when not active and the ledge in the aft fairing made it mechanically sure to never go into a pitch down situation....

Not my opinion brothers... Will provide references if desired....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

10 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Indeed  Craig  - it should be a  smooth  cone  without the  ledge  - 

OC.

Both those pictures show the ledge the "flaps" rested on, Egilman got this covered.  👍

Btw. did you spot the "Dash-cam" on the top of the tail in the second picture, this must be one of the ground taxiable Buccaneers?

Looking at the mould of the Airfix kit it looks like it might benefit from a bit of thinning above the front tilt limit of the tail plane, if I could be bothered, the photos seem to show it is thinner?

Edited by AJohnson

I was wondering what the gizmo on the stab was. Interesting use for that flying surface.

The boundary control and deicing came off the engine compressor; the F-4 used a similar system for the leading and trailing flaps on the wings. When the slats were applied, they left the  tubing in the leading edge, so the jet gained about 1500 pounds of dead weight.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

If I'm getting this right, it's like the early days of flight where the whole horizontal stabilizer moved before they went to elevators?  Same for the vertical before going to a rudder.  Maybe the old saying is right.. "there is nothing new under the sun"?

Yes, but for totally different reasons. In modern jets, the whole moving surface is because of the physics of transonic/supersonic flight.

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

3 hours ago, Danstream said:

the whole moving surface is because of the physics of transonic/supersonic flight.

Actually, it is the branch of science called Fluid Dynamics, something the Wright Brothers were the first to actually understand applies to gases/vapors under pressure as well as liquids....

Live Tails, (or as they are commonly called today Stabilators) are the result of a long period of trial and error relearning something the Brothers knew instinctively from observations of a simple wing profile in a wind tunnel.

Quote:

@AJohnson these photos are for a heads up and as well to ask you for a favor.

In the bottom of each photo the visible hinge attachment point has an ever so slight sink mark on both starboard and port wings. Wish I had seen these before I attached the wings as filling and sanding them now is more difficult with wings attached. Look carefully at yours to see if they need work. Secondly, at the top of each photo is an attachment point that appears to be missing (small ones). I’m thinking I may have inadvertently cut these off thing they were sprue gates. Would you kindly look at your wings and tell me if I did what I think I did? I can fix it with a little work but it’s not clear to me from the instructions I did what I think I did. As it is, it just doesn’t look right to me.

0C03F37E-7917-4743-BA10-27142C48B05F.jpeg

ABD65CAA-4B32-4103-B798-545C9F4A803F.jpeg

The Wrights also turned by warping the wing. Ailerons didn't come about until 10 years later. NASA modified an F-111 to test the concept, but I don't think it got very far. The Wrights were the first systems engineers, combining many disciplines to build their Flyers.

Ken

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Ailerons didn't come about until 10 years later.

The first patent on the aileron control system was granted to the British scientist and metaphysicist Matthew Piers Watt Boulton in 1868. He introduced the concept of three axis control in his 1864 paper "On Aërial Locomotion". He was the first to conceive an aileron flight control system... 39 years before the Wright Brothers used wing warping.... (the brothers had a copy of his paper in their library covering the engineering history and theories of heavier than air flight, they knew all about it)

The Wrights were the first systems engineers, combining many disciplines to build their Flyers.

Yep, they took the wing curvature pressure table from Lilienthal, (and corrected it) The wire braced Pratt Truss design from Chanute, (and modified it) The wing control method from Boulton, (combined with their own inspiration to make it work mechanically) Then built upon those contributions with their own experiments narrowing down the engineering and applying their inspirations from said experiments in making what they understood actually work...

So yes they were the first systems integrators as well as being scientists, a very unique combination of engineering and creative thought.... Not bad for a couple of bicycle mechanics...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

Take a look at this video at/around the 23:08 mark. Here you will see the wingfold pieces being glued into the inboard side of the wings. Those open slots I'm talking about are there for the wingfold mechanism. IMO this kit was designed for the wings to be posed in the folded position where an opening would be appropriate. Building the wings in an extended position is offered as an option but it's not as well refined. If you look at the opening page of this video, you can see the model with wings extended, and there is that hole just as clear as can be seen, but that doesn't seem right to me. Look just forward of the yellow stripe at the aileron/flap hinge. 

Edited by CDW

6 hours ago, CDW said:

@AJohnson if you look at steps 61 and 62, parts H31 and H32 are the pieces with a sink mark in mine. Above it are steps 59 and 60 which indicate cutting off the protrusions (which I did) but that’s not what created the open slot seen in the prior photos.

Hi,

Yes I have the same issue and it doesn't seem right to me either.  Thanks for the heads-up, I think that little rectangle needs filling - although in-flight Buccs do show wear of paintwork around the hinge areas there are no holes!

IMG_1602.JPG

Bucc-wings.JPG

Not too many more small bits and pieces to add before it will be ready for some primer. Will spot check a few places with primer paint first before priming the whole model. The speed brake/clamshell assembly rests dry-fitted as I think it will be better to mask and paint it as a separate unit then add it permanently after all the paint work is done. The flaps sit at 40 degrees while the ailerons sit at 30 degrees as per plan.

What do you know about the engine setup? There are no afterburner cans as are seen on many contemporary aircraft. No turkey feathers.

Did I mention that this is a very large plane? Even in 1:48 scale it's large. 🙂

DSCN3241.JPG

DSCN3242.JPG