Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Hi Bob

Seriously good work as usual.

There's been some discussion on cannon rigging and the deck ring bolts recently. My thinking - and I'm flying blind here - is that a cannon would not have the side tackles and the rear tackles rigged at the same time. As I figure it - guessing again - the rear tackle is used to haul the cannon inboard for stowage. The side tackles are used to haul the cannon out and train it to left or right. I think that the rear tackle would be borrowed from one of the side tackles when inboard stowage is needed. So I'm on your wavelength - side tackles, deck eye and ring bolts in place but no rear tackle. In one way it saves us yet another rig even if we are wrong!!!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Nice job thinking ahead again there Bob, in tying off the fore lower sheets. This is developing into a really superb model.

Thanks so much Alistair and Grant for the kind words.

Alistair, right or wrong I like your reasoning on the gun rigging. I'm for anything that saves me from doing any more of it.  ;)

Bob

My two cents:  First the work is outstanding as we are accustomed to here. 

As far as the gun rigging, (and we need some input here from someone who really knows) is that during action the in haul tackle is used to haul the gun in and secure it while it is being loaded.  Recoil may not bring the gun all the way into loading position.  Once it is loaded, the out haul pulls the gun into position ready for aiming and firing. 

I also agree that the in haul tackle would be stowed when not in use since it stretches across the deck and is a hazard.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Very nice work Bob. Did you make your own gratings or use what the kit provided?

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Agree that in haul tackle may have been unhooked when guns went into action, but certainly kept close by in the event guns had to be hauled in due to miss fire, cease fire order, etc. Further, I wonder if out hauls were disconnected prior to firing since they would inhibit recoil once the guns were run out and fired. I have noticed that out haul gun tackles seem to have their correct double blocks attached to the bulwarks with hooks to facilitate quick removal of the tackles. 

wq3296

While watching glue dry over the past couple of weeks, I began to fool around with what to do with the forecastle. The last few days, I came up with my conclusion, and did the deck planking that I'm going to do. The result is a margin plank at the perimeter, a strip of planking down the center, and a small band of planking at the aft end to support the barricade and belfry.

All of the planking is holly, with the margin planks cut from sheet, using card stock templates, and the rest from strip, fitted around the openings and bitts. The caulking is simulated with pencil and the treenails are again simulated with golden oak filler in drilled holes. Wipe-on Poly finished that work. I also added the the steam hatch and the coaming for the stove stack at this time. I probably won't add anything else until after the bulwark planking is in place.

Bob

post-186-0-10203600-1400674717_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82213500-1400674776_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-71051200-1400674822_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-80684000-1400674968_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-53317000-1400674989_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23344800-1400675014_thumb.jpg

I love this, Looks superb Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Great job on the planking Bob.

One question....is there a reason that you don't make the deck planking for the upper deck at scale ?

Scale planking I mean....

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks so much Mark, Nils, Grant and Sjors for the very kind words and also to the "likes".

Sjors, I don't understand your question. It was certainly my intent to do the planking to scale.

Bob

That's a veritable forest of lumber you have there.  Beautiful, pristine work Bob.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I shall try to clarify my question Bob.

When I look at upper deck  , I see that the planks next to the grating are at one piece.

The other ones are shorter because there is something in the way.

When I look at the main deck, they are at scale.....

This has nothing to do with the work you have done.

It just looks awesome !!!!!!!

Maybe I can erase my question and just enjoy your build ?????

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thanks Augie. It's time for you to get some indoor time again. I miss your build.

Now I understand, Sjors, and there's nothing wrong with the question. My understanding is that on a forecastle of this length (30-35' or less), single full length planks would be used. The same would be true on other short decks, as well. The full length planks I used measure out to about 28'.

Bob

Looking good Bob.  Outstanding workmanship as usual.

Ken

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Bob,

every time I look into your Progress I have to set my mind that you are performing such accuracy in scale 1:76, absolutely clean and precise modeling, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

A minor milestone -- work on the gun deck is complete. I have made, installed and rigged the last four guns, added their deck ringbolts and made and installed the jeer capstan, the second of the three required capstans. I also tied the line for the main course tacks to their bulwark cleats.

The guns were done the same way as all the others (very glad to be done with them). The capstan was done in boxwood, with a pear cap The pawls (stops) were also made from boxwood, painted black and added to the deck.

Next up will be the deck framing for the gangboards (midship decking).

Bob

post-186-0-59689700-1401541597_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94483000-1401541622_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82532100-1401541657_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-49830900-1401541797_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31450400-1401541817_thumb.jpg

Fabulous work on the gun deck Bob B) I bet you are glad to be able to move up a deck now and carry on with something a little different.At least there isn't three decks worth of 100 cannons to do :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nice touch on the pear capstan cap.  Guns, of course, look spectacular!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks so much Nigel, Augie and Jan for your kind comments and also to the "likes" for your continuing interest.

Nigel, I don't think I could face 100 guns. The 26 on the gun deck were quite enough. Of course, I still have some to do on the quarterdeck. :(

Bob

Congratulations on finishing the guns Bob - quite a milestone. The capstan looks terrific too - your usual impressively high standard.