P-38J Wicked Woman by DocRob - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/48

DocRob

40 minutes ago, Canute said:

Did they have anti-glare panels on the engine sides facing the cockpit? I used to know, but haven't been in those books in eons.

Yes Ken, there are anti glare panels on the inside of the engines, usually painted in olive drab, but with mine in matte black.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48
                             AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32

7 hours ago, Canute said:

Did they have anti-glare panels on the engine sides facing the cockpit?

Yes, every last one of them... Ft Black or the usual OD...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

6 hours ago, DocRob said:

it will be 'Wicked Woman' like the title said, which had matte black anti glare panels and some stripes in gloss black.

Sorry for the airhead moment brother... "Wicked Woman" indeed had black anti-glare....

Bottom profile n the pic below...

07.jpg.197e3f1942f5dac0dc189d1bb1f6aa51.jpg

P-38J-15-LO 42-23587 Wicked Woman 8th FG 36th FS... Early '44 to the end of the war... ('46 to be exact)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

It's getting serios now, with the gloss black base cured, it was time for the polished Aluminum, but not before I airbrushed the anti glare panels. I went the hard way of double masking, first the outside, to not spoil the gloss surface and after spraying Tamiya LP flat black, again the flat black areas in preparation for the polished aluminum.

The mask for the front area was particular delicate and I used the bordering white decal as a master and marked the contour with a pen onto transparent foil.

P1000869.thumb.JPG.8b5fa98b6d76e6cf193634eaf6752ba8.JPG

This was transferred onto a sheet of Kabuki and traced with a scalpel blade. Now I had a positive and negative mask for both sides.

P1000870.thumb.JPG.7823fb5999650e5177b4970c4c1a7f10.JPG

Masking of the matte black anti glare panels.

P1000871.thumb.JPG.51b83bbf8c237b136077f28526d77e4e.JPG

Finished anti glare panels

P1000872.thumb.JPG.79d3b3183e7d1c843276da73084046ad.JPG

Everything was masked again (anti glare panels, wing stripes and tailwing stripes) and then sprayed the whole airframe with Alclad's polished aluminum, which I liked a little better than AK's after some testing. Similar to chrome finish, I carefully misted the polished aluminum on with a pressure of about 1 bar. There is a point, where the blackness of the base disappeared and after that the look will get worse. I had minimal amounts of overspray from the anti glare panels, also black, but barely visible (black on black :hsmack:) , but the Alclad finishes a tiny bit different.
I can'd o anything about it, but to remember, to have a absolute equal shiny base layer for future projects.

The high shine polished aluminum is hard to capture, I tried it in the booth, on the bench and outside, but none of the pics comes close. I will try to capture better pics soon, but here is where I am.

P1000875.thumb.JPG.3eb5dd8df89e947d06a17d93d6002457.JPG

P1000876.thumb.JPG.e325e15d8357a6f803781a35340b4714.JPG

P1000877.thumb.JPG.33f7b565084c056acc3066f97e40e6af.JPG

P1000881.thumb.JPG.26d97a07784726e2f3f226817568780e.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:   "Big Tank" Crocker OHV motorcycle by DocRob - Model Factory Hiro - 1/9 

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Your on it brother, closest I've seen come to a true non-polished aluminum finish in a spray....

Every bit as good as RnB....

Any kind of a polished finish is incorrect for a warbird, it's the Bare Metal finish your looking for... And you've got it in spades.... that natural reflectance is perfect for a bird fresh out of the factory....

Over time that reflectiveness fades a bit as the aluminum oxidizes, but all it does is reduce the reflectiveness a bit....

The only way you will get closer to a real BMF is to actually have Bare Metal on the airframe... (imho, of course)

You need do nothing more brother... you've got it..

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

There is one suggestion I would make, take it out in the sunshine and get a few shots of it before you make a decision to do anything else...

Natural light shows what it really looks like....

She's looking damn fine.....

Quote:

16 hours ago, Egilman said:

Your on it brother, closest I've seen come to a true non-polished aluminum finish in a spray....

Every bit as good as RnB....

Any kind of a polished finish is incorrect for a warbird, it's the Bare Metal finish your looking for... And you've got it in spades.... that natural reflectance is perfect for a bird fresh out of the factory....

Over time that reflectiveness fades a bit as the aluminum oxidizes, but all it does is reduce the reflectiveness a bit....

The only way you will get closer to a real BMF is to actually have Bare Metal on the airframe... (imho, of course)

You need do nothing more brother... you've got it..

Thank you Egilman, I tried some outside shots as well, but there was only overcast sky yesterday. I will try to use my phone instead of my camera, sometimes the 'I can do all but kissing' device is better with difficult light situations, than the big camera.
Speaking of eye strain, this build is very demanding to the eye, first gloss black with all the reflections, added with, you guessed it, black rivets, followed by matte black anti glare panels and finally high shine polished aluminum, which reflects a lot and looks different under each used lamp. 
That caused me to miss a very prominent fingerprint, which I left on the base layer and the aluminum color shows it. I tried to rub un some chrome pigments, but I have to respray the area.

Aluminum is a strange material, it oxidizes instantly, the oxide being a good protective coat for further oxidation and harder than the base material. Polishing only mellows the surface, but it's still oxidized. Weather influences change the appearance further, as you mentioned. I wanted to keep the surface as new looking as possible, I wanted to test, how far you can go with airbrush and colors. I think as well, the only possibility to achieve a better result, would be foiling or at least leaving away the rivet decals, which so very slightly disturb the perfect smooth surface with their carrier film.

I have a metal engineering background and love to replicate materials in general in modeling, in their various states of wear and tear from new to wrecked. When I was younger, I produced 3D-Animations only for fun, in a time, where this was very difficult to do. I hade complete hard disks full of self sampled material surface pictures, metal, wood, cloth stone, whatever was needed to use them as realistic looking surfaces on 3D-objects. This sharpened my sense for materials in various conditions and led to my passion to replicate materials in modeling.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

I added a lot of bits and pieces, like landing gear, landing bay doors, counterweights, air intakes and the turbo chargers, which were sprayed with Alclad's exhaust manifold beforehand. Now there are only missing guns, props and wheels and foremost decaling of course, but this is for after my vacations. 
The canopy masks were removed and there is only one slight spot, where the paint fumes stained the clear part from the inside. I decided to close the canopy, because I don't like the looks of the open one, totally disturbing the slender shapes of the P-38

Interestingly, my Iphone was able to capture the shining Lightning better than my camera.

IMG_1211.thumb.JPG.3c50556a12291fab96de319ba656c942.JPG 

IMG_1213.thumb.JPG.994b61dafc19bdf16a754f74ac03cd87.JPG

IMG_1212.thumb.JPG.9769b587cae12e61dbf367e19f16c2fb.JPG

IMG_1219.thumb.JPG.b92a97561a1cccfb7649d2fa7f6bfa7f.JPG

IMG_1214.thumb.JPG.20352a5a0bdfa0ea3489b049e0223282.JPG

IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.d841190bbe2217cc5e3ec04edceb1e57.JPG

IMG_1210.thumb.JPG.cd99c4cbd8cf226d29b75273f24f18a2.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Interestingly, my Iphone was able to capture the shining Lightning better than my camera.

I think it's more your background than anything else my friend... and the soft white light....

Anyway it's beautiful, but your going to have to promise to give us a look representing the heavy SWPAC area in mid July.... {chuckle}

This is going to be one stunning bird in heavy sunshine... (a true "Morotai Maiden")

Quote:

15 hours ago, Canute said:

Beautiful finish on this bird. 👍

Thank you Ken, I hope I can get the decals on without accidents. The finish is very fragile. I toyed with the idea of using some oil color panel liner, but it was too risky. 
Now the P-38 has to wait being finished, as I am traveling for a week.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

15 hours ago, Egilman said:

I think it's more your background than anything else my friend... and the soft white light....

Anyway it's beautiful, but your going to have to promise to give us a look representing the heavy SWPAC area in mid July.... {chuckle}

This is going to be one stunning bird in heavy sunshine... (a true "Morotai Maiden")

Normally we have lots of sun and blue skies as well this time of the year, but the last days were an exception. That's why I'm going for holidays for a week now ;).
I will capture some classic shiny metal, blue sky pics when the P-38 is finished.

Btw, I took some pics with my big camera with the same lighting and black background, toying with white balance, exposure and other settings, but didn't show the pics, because they were worse than these taken with the Iphone and ProCam App.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Just catching up with your log Rob - wow, you're really outdoing yourself again, and that is a high bar!  Looks spectacular!  The rivet decals make for a very nice touch.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 9/4/2023 at 5:08 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Just catching up with your log Rob - wow, you're really outdoing yourself again, and that is a high bar!  Looks spectacular!  The rivet decals make for a very nice touch.  

On 9/4/2023 at 6:30 PM, CDW said:

Just found your build log Rob. Fantastic start! Looking forward to further installments.

Thank you Mike and Craig, NMF and riveting were the challenge of this build, clearly. Only building a perfect Tamiya kit, would have been boring and I always like to learn something new through a build.
Now after my vacations, decaling is next.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

After my vacations, finally an update. I tried to finish the P-38 and mainly did over the last days. The prop hubs with black and white parts gave me grieve and now I airbrushed them for the third time, very annoying. That's why they are not on the pics.

I carefully applied the decals, which behaved very well and on the aluminum, you can barely see carrier film. The white pinstripes around the black nose panels, where a bit difficult to master, but thankfully the thin strips were robust enough not to tear. The stencils are not complete, but I don't know, if I apply the rest. There were quite a lot of differences, between the Tamiya decal plan for the stencils and the ones I used from Bombshell. I used only warm water with some drops of detergent, because I didn't want to spoil my surfaces with aggressive solvents.

I painted the navigation and formation lights with clear colors, picked up some other details and then added the non weathered wheels only sprayed in one black shade, untypical for me.
I used the kit wheels, flattened with a sanding stick, because my Ultracast wheels didn't look too good and the Eduard masks wouldn't have fitted. 

The barrels are made of brass by Master and got a treatment with a patinating liquid, which give a matte brown black look, which I find very convincing.

Cheers Rob

IMG_1424.thumb.JPG.5b10b78afc6f8fcc9a80564753f6f32e.JPG

IMG_1425.thumb.JPG.60ab7092deed7ce42afb11b262972697.JPG

IMG_1426.thumb.JPG.3b06c1614e6fe6a095aaea6d5e7b29b8.JPG

IMG_1427.thumb.JPG.ab9d3617690d472436329b45234668c8.JPG

IMG_1429.thumb.JPG.82a5234343216d286ae938eb5a740395.JPG

IMG_1430.thumb.JPG.73e07c3db18635e7fe773f9fc084d583.JPG

IMG_1431.thumb.JPG.a978f02b1b61dc5e0f8d0f19b411ab2e.JPG

IMG_1433.thumb.JPG.d2d86c9ee5a6f5fe1747a51e3b7a9bf2.JPG

IMG_1434.thumb.JPG.0e6b02d9b3f732bc4ad92de9a18603d0.JPG

IMG_1436.thumb.JPG.2258e7faf2d12219033b9cf28be85be3.JPG

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Excellent finish.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

17 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Stunning model, very wicked!!!!

17 hours ago, CDW said:

That's a very fine model with an excellent selection for markings. The aluminum finish is brilliant.

11 hours ago, king derelict said:

Stunning, the finish is spectacular

10 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent finish.

8 hours ago, gsdpic said:

Beautiful!  Looks like she just rolled off the assembly line.

Muchas gracias señhores, I had tons of fun with the aluminum finish over the rivets. It was eye testing, with black basing, matte and gloss black sections adding black rivets onto the black and finishing with blinding polished aluminum, but worth it.
The kit itself is so good in every aspect, that you can fully concentrate on airbrushing and finishing. I would have liked to add some panels in other shades of aluminum, but shied away from masking them. I've done that some years ago on a P-47, but with less shine.
She's indeed a wicked beast :D.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

She's a beautiful beast, Rob. Your finish is spectacular. Superb!  👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

That is indeed a beautiful finish!  Very well done!

I am amazed at how the rivet lines turned out in the end.  Absolutely amazing.

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

1 hour ago, Canute said:

She's a beautiful beast, Rob. Your finish is spectacular. Superb!  👍

47 minutes ago, NavyShooter said:

That is indeed a beautiful finish!  Very well done!

I am amazed at how the rivet lines turned out in the end.  Absolutely amazing.

Thank you Ken and Brad, as with most of my builds, the intention was to learn something new. In this case riveting and high shine aluminum finish. Like always, there is room to improve, but overall my methods worked, helped by the good decals and the chosen scheme, which allowed to airbrush the model without masking onto the fragile polished aluminum. 
The riveting with Eduard decals worked well, the rivets were printed  to perfect fit and I think, covering whole areas of the plane with riveting decals works better than the HGW approach with wet transfers, where every single rivet sits on the model by itself, without protection from carrier film.
Unfortunately there are only a few rivet sets available from Eduard.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Some pics under bright sunlight with the now finished prop spinners. Unfortunately it is very windy, so no risky angles, the wicked woman would have gone airborne :hsmack:.

Cheers Rob

P1000892.thumb.JPG.1582045408adf745d9317c158253c22b.JPG

P1000893.thumb.JPG.e3accba271b0f1e6918016c5c1817ce7.JPG

P1000896.thumb.JPG.ca4bd13c8369b797a6ac60374b51adee.JPG

P1000900.thumb.JPG.ee684c11fcd89f278692418f2727ecb7.JPG

P1000901.thumb.JPG.f16bac868842d5a8385daa5afe8438ef.JPG

P1000902.thumb.JPG.fe0557cd114d2b1fe37e8db1a8ff2858.JPG

P1000906.thumb.JPG.43ae08b50b64ac14ddd8b23628bca47d.JPG

P1000907.thumb.JPG.8c817f6430cd4f70f3a733dac618ef33.JPG

P1000908.thumb.JPG.d488c0de2845ace8c0bbcfa25b15ae70.JPG

P1000910.thumb.JPG.f04512494a446986a773cfcb460926af.JPG

P1000911.thumb.JPG.daecaabc9f2343aaa19a5f12b6fd29ba.JPG

P1000913.thumb.JPG.d9e15fa138a146b5a6bf4d6cd941e4d7.JPG

P1000914.thumb.JPG.25e34beaa8133ec431f063456b7ac18d.JPG

P1000915.thumb.JPG.c3283ca4bde4c0a3b96571deef71957f.JPG

P1000917.thumb.JPG.989e684ad9cad6a92c1cf8c88112e966.JPG

P1000922.thumb.JPG.af17770d0896100f088887536a59f885.JPG

P1000924.thumb.JPG.e3b059603663093b3272709b7b4723c4.JPG

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

She's a real beauty!!!

Freshly minted P-38!!! Nothing else comes close...

Well done Brother, very well done...

Quote:

Amazing job Rob!!  I've always been a sucker for redheads too 😉

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

She looks  Stunning in that  daylight   -  beautiful job.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1