Tony Nancy 22 Jr Dragster by CDW - FINISHED - Revell - 1:25 Scale

CDW

This nostalgic kit comes all the way back from an original release by Revell in 1963, the Tony Nancy 22Jr Roadster and Dragster kit. Two complete kits in one box. My particular kit copy was re-released in the late 90's or early 2000's.

When you open the box you find some very flash-filled and crude parts by today's standards but nevertheless, the kits can be built into a very reasonable facsimile of the original racers.

I spent some time today cutting parts off the sprue trees and cleaning them up by sanding filling and sanding some more. Lots and lots of flash and parting lines on these old kits. If you get a chassis frame that's not warped, it's a miracle. These early dragster kits were notorious for having warped chassis but this can all be worked out reasonably well with a little persuasion and care.

To start, I am building the AA gas dragster kit first. I don't intend to spend a lot of time on these kits but will add a few extras here and there to modernize them a tiny bit. Will try to get a good paint finish on both. You'll notice I almost always start by stripping all the chrome from the plated parts as they are so full of flash, once they are cleaned up the plating is rendered useless. Priming and painting them with metallic lacquers will do a more than adequate job of giving the appearance of shiny metal.

Follow along and feel free to share comments as we travel down a nostalgic path that many of us took while building these kits in our youth. I sure did.

DSCN3409.JPG

DSCN3407.JPG

DSCN3408.JPG

Edited by CDW

Now that really takes me back. The kit was a great source for parts and served as an organ donor for a couple of my altereds and rails. 

Good kit, mind if I watch?

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

3 hours ago, bruce d said:

Now that really takes me back. The kit was a great source for parts and served as an organ donor for a couple of my altereds and rails. 

Good kit, mind if I watch?

Absolutely, please do follow along. Hope you enjoy the trip down memory lane.

Yes indeed, they are great parts donors for custom projects.

I'll follow along, too. We'd have car building contests with lots of customization.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Well in context it does indicate the same thing... Doesn't it?  {chuckle}

Memory Lane, been traveling that road more and more frequently of late....

This is a nice one....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

A blast from the past.  I'm pulling up a seat an reminiscing. 

Edited by _SalD_

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

I'm in.   Brings pack memories of some great times...both the models and the real deals at the track.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I wanted to show you another "chrome" paint. This one is manufactured by AK and called Super Chrome. The bottle calls it an ink, not paint. It likes to be sprayed on in a heavy coat, not light mist coats as you might do with Alclad chrome/metallic paints. Very easy to apply. Does not require a base coat but needs a smooth surface. I applied a much reduced Mr Surfacer 1500 black base under my parts which goes down very smooth.

The part on the left was painted with AK Xtreme Metal aluminum. The two valve covers painted with the Super Chrome ink. To me, it's a very convincing chrome finish and much better than the funky chrome plating that was on the parts originally.

In the background is my body shell painted in Mr Surfacer 1500 primer. The body will be painted with Mr. Color super silver, then clear coated with lacquer, decals, then more lacquer over the decals.

DSCN3412.JPG

DSCN3413.JPG

Spending an inordinate amount of time cleaning up the parts. Every single part requires attention. Even the little slots in the wheels have flash to clean up. 😄 

Chassis is painted in Tamiya gray metallic lacquer. Engine block Tamiya red lacquer. Other metallic shades are various AK Xtreme Metal paints and a few are the AK Super Chrome ink.

Trying out a dry fit here.

Lawn maintenance received full attention today. Very little time for modeling. Tomorrow is another day.

DSCN3414.JPG

DSCN3415.JPG

Put the first coat of silver on each body panel, then dry fit the chassis into the lower body shell.

Will paint and build out the remaining pieces that are internal to the body shell, add fuel lines, a magneto and ignition wiring before gluing down each body panel. After that will mask off the engine and interior compartment before giving the entire assembled body another coat of silver to unify the color. When spraying metallic paint, it's next to impossible get each individual body panel to look the same without it all being sprayed as one unit. DSCN3421.thumb.JPG.628a24faf37b75c6f3d5613a281b8fe4.JPGDSCN3420.thumb.JPG.834ac6dcbe3bead15325fe2774974ebe.JPG

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Comparing the silver to the box art, it looks like the 1:1 car had some white mixed in with the silver. I'll experiment with some white mixed in with my silver to try and get a closer match.

If I recall correctly,  a caption in a contemporary magazine described the car as 'Corvette silver'.  

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

2 hours ago, bruce d said:

If I recall correctly,  a caption in a contemporary magazine described the car as 'Corvette silver'.  

Thanks Bruce. I mixed a few drops of white into the color cup of my airbrush and the result was a much more subdued, subtle silver, closer to the box art. It's not an exact match but much closer than before. Once the decals are applied, I think it will be okay.

I wanted to finish the model today, but ran out of gas, figuratively speaking.

The decals are old (1994) and were cantankerous. I was lucky they worked for me at all. Very thick. Decal colors were suboptimal at best but back at the time, they were par for the course.

If you tackle one of these old kits, be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning up parts. Every single part need attention and some of the parts should actually be replaced or reworked. As it is, they will build into a decent shelf model but won't be contest material on their own merits. I added ignition wires and a rudimentary fuel line. Other than that, everything is box-stock. 

When I take back up to finish, need to install the radius arms, the tie rod, drag link, parachute, and windscreen.

If everything works out, will post final pictures for this one over the weekend.

DSCN3422.JPG

DSCN3423.JPG

DSCN3424.JPG

This will complete my work on the dragster. The roadster will follow at a future date.

I have a ton of these old, nostalgic, unbuilt car models in my collection. Can't spend too much time on most of them to have any chance of building them all. Maybe one week each at the most. Some I will make an exception for as the kit may be interesting enough (to me) to warrant more time. 

Thanks for following along, for all your "likes" and comments. It's been fun!

DSCN3425.JPG

DSCN3426.JPG

DSCN3427.JPG

DSCN3428.JPG

DSCN3429.JPG

DSCN3430.JPG

DSCN3431.JPG

Lovely job Craig   -  really nice finish.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Beautiful work, Craig.  Looking forward to the Roadster when you're ready.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

well done Craig, ditto on all the previous comments.  I can almost hear her now being staged at the line.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Wow that was fast!  Came out great Craig!  Looking forward to following the next one.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)