Sopwith Pup by ccoyle - FINISHED - Kartonowa Kolekcja - 1/33 - CARD

ccoyle

Welcome to another non-ship build log!

I actually have a large-ish wooden ship build near the front of my building queue, but after much deliberation, during which I changed my mind about what to build next at least a half-dozen times, I opted to squeeze in one more small project before beginning the larger project -- sort of a 'new year, new commitment' plan.

The small project I finally settled on is one that has been on my radar for quite some time -- the 1/33 scale Sopwith Pup published by Kartonowa Kolekcja. I find the Pup to be a handsome aircraft -- a well-balanced design that is very easy on the eye, unlike some WW1 aircraft that might best be charitably described as 'homely'. The Pup is also historically significant, not least because it was the first Sopwith aircraft to bear an animal name, albeit an unofficial one (its official name was the Sopwith Scout).

PXL_20231130_183548211.jpg.d21d4c687c3d7e3805994fa1b8fafe2e.jpg

Anyhoo, if this kit looks familiar, that's because Edward Kenway beat me to the punch by building an example of it just last year, so you can get a sense of how this model will go together by viewing his log here. This will be the sixth kit I have attempted by designer Pawel Mistewicz -- IMO his kits are among the best in the business. You can see four of my previous KK builds here, here, here, and here.

The artwork on this kit is very good, as you can see by the engine grime and wing ribbing, for example.

PXL_20231130_183623894.jpg.4deca71afea11a876f48ef4af9aff1bb.jpg

The kit includes options for two liveries. The plane on the cover, which I will be building, is the mount of Cpt. Edwin Dunning, the first man to land an aircraft on a moving ship. The other option is a plane from the Walmer Defence Flight, one of the various units established in England for the purpose of aerial home defense; these units typically flew aircraft that were being rotated away from front line service to secondary theaters and flown by pilots who, having survived the carnage over France and Belgium, were deemed in need of some slightly less-stressful flying duties.

PXL_20231130_183649973.jpg.01d1cb48a0108557d73eb56ccc456916.jpg

KK kits include extensive diagrams, which is important since the instructions are in Polish.

PXL_20231130_183606462.jpg.898f120f53a3bc41e53e27bbc5666f61.jpg

Also included is a very nice three-view . . .

PXL_20231130_183707714.jpg

. . . and a lovely set of color photographs of the prototype model.

PXL_20231130_183723394.jpg.26eacb020c3889caacbf61530634b6d5.jpg

As per usual, I have the laser-cut frames set.

PXL_20231130_183740880.jpg.5bd34ea93b59d7fb6b03c5a5bb7773f7.jpg

My last KK effort took about one month to complete. We'll see if this one goes together as well as I expect it will.

Onward!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Ah, what the heck -- I decided that since I provided links to all my other KK builds, I might as well dig up some shots of the only one not hosted here at MSW, just in case anyone wondered about it. So here's a couple of looks at Pawel's Polikarpov Po-2 design. This one used alternative winter camo provided by a member at a different forum. Enjoy!

po-23603small.jpg.13eeb69448dff5e9fc4e04367f93b438.jpg

po-23602small.jpg.f3f123238b6f3067cb1e396357889c83.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I'm here  too  Chris.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking forward to this build, Chris!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I'm up for this Chriss, just no aerobatics ok?  {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Once again, a Mistewicz design just falls together sweetly without any hitches so far. Here's the fuselage structural pieces ready to be glued up (I found out later that three pieces were missing from this group shot, but they're on the model -- which is what counts).

PXL_20231202_205043574.thumb.jpg.ec81362bf7df3c5c99d7335f2f31fbc6.jpg

And bit by bit it gets put together.

PXL_20231202_205732464.thumb.jpg.2091db4cca0bb75f288dcc198ee31fb6.jpg

PXL_20231202_211652743.jpg.0fc06b4cdb169b98f70c431ed061bd66.jpg

PXL_20231202_213258224.jpg.74edc57dbc17f0207a04c832318c0ca6.jpg

Skinning starts next!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

A note on some of the interior printing that is visible but will obviously not be seen once the fuselage is closed up: Believe it or not, there are some insane modelers out there (Poles, usually -- duh) who will open up parts of their build and scratch-build interior components such as stringers, bracing, and control cables, thus necessitating some printed interior details. I am not one of those modelers, so don't ask.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

External skins prepped . . .

PXL_20231203_023225029.jpg.2d9be6e7e4f986eb4a3ff7993fedda8a.jpg

. . . and added.

PXL_20231203_220151859-1.jpg.7acfdbaa706f39063cbcf41e313d07d5.jpg

Those 'wrinkles' you can see on the left side near the cockpit are actually printed on the part. Still have detail parts to add.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

It's been awhile since I followed along with one of your builds, Chris. Looking forward to the journey. 

Not too much extra to see in this photo -- some doubled details (to add depth) and the skinned tail skid. I did something similar to this photo for my Nieuport 11 build just to show the incredible increase in size between a WW1 combatant and one from WW2. Pretty remarkable, I think.

PXL_20231204_014009668.jpg.4a19892c090b20e23544303fb841017b.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Interesting discussion with a younger coworker who saw a picture of my Pup fuselage.

Coworker: "What is it?"

Me: "A Sopwith Pup. You know the Pup?"

Coworker: "No."

Me: "Well, do you know the Sopwith Camel? The Pup was the Camel before there were Camels."

Coworker: "No."

Me: (slightly incredulous) "Really? Well, how about Snoopy? Do you remember that Snoopy was always pretending to be a World War 1 flying ace?"

Coworker: "Yeah."

Me: "Snoopy flew a Sopwith Camel."

Coworker: (realization dawns) "Oooh."

I live to enlighten my coworkers. 😅

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

So I guess the Pup was the doghouse before it grew into the kennel (camel) right? {chuckle} (no wonder the Baron kept shooting him down)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I love the romance of biplanes, for myself, monoplanes has never had the same fascination and allure. 'Kite' was an apt description for those early aircraft. 

12 hours ago, Keith Black said:

'Kite' was an apt description for those early aircraft. 

That is exactly what the Wright Flyer was, for all intents and purposes, an upscaled Wright 1899 kite with an engine.... (the 1899 was the kite they tested the wing warping mechanism on and realized they had it, they knew how to control an aircraft in roll) They still had a lot to figure out, but they knew how to get three axis control, it was only a matter of time after that... In fact they called their machine a kite before it flew, it was after the first flights they started calling it the "Flyer"

A form of the control system they invented is still used today for the "flyable kites" you see them doing aerobatic stunts with at kite flying meets...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

The engine and cowl are now mated to the fuselage. I had a couple of minor problems with this portion of the build, neither of which was due to any inherent shortcomings of the kit. First, I did not recognize until after I had finished the cowl that its three ventral openings are not centered on the aircraft's midline. This led to me improperly positioning the second of the three rings that make up the cowl. Second, I dropped the forward-most ring while I was gluing it together, and my dog got hold of it, leading to a few tense moments between master and dog, with the final result being that the ring was every so slightly, er . . . munched. I fixed it as best I could, and, happily, I don't think that either of the two errors just described will be highly noticeable on the finished model.

PXL_20231209_163400751.jpg.9da06822f461e805792fae8efd6310fa.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

No doubt the parts in question on the prototype received their fair share of dings and dents from pebbles tossed up by the propeller, a heavy handed mechanic, or a glancing blow from an incoming bullet. Can’t really see anything in the way of doggy damage in your photo, looks pretty good!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I'm working on the lower wing -- nothing exciting enough to warrant a picture -- but I thought I'd share a funny story about one of the agonies of being a card modeler. This year, just as I have done many times for past Christmases and birthdays, I put some card models on my wish list. And today, nine days before Christmas, my wife informed me that the family is "having some trouble" ordering stuff on my wish list -- I knew instantly what kind of "trouble" they were having, and this even after I spelled out in painful detail exactly which sites to visit and how to make purchases at them. To no avail -- it looks as if this year I will once again be ordering my own Christmas presents and receiving them well after Christmas. The family simply cannot get past the Great Wall of Polish eCommerce. Oh, well! Good thing I am used to this by now. 😅

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

17 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I'm working on the lower wing -- nothing exciting enough to warrant a picture -- but I thought I'd share a funny story about one of the agonies of being a card modeler. This year, just as I have done many times for past Christmases and birthdays, I put some card models on my wish list. And today, nine days before Christmas, my wife informed me that the family is "having some trouble" ordering stuff on my wish list -- I knew instantly what kind of "trouble" they were having, and this even after I spelled out in painful detail exactly which sites to visit and how to make purchases at them. To no avail -- it looks as if this year I will once again be ordering my own Christmas presents and receiving them well after Christmas. The family simply cannot get past the Great Wall of Polish eCommerce. Oh, well! Good thing I am used to this by now. 😅

We  are  not  doing Christmas  this  year  so  guess  it takes  this  problem out of  the  equation.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Here's my low-tech dihedral jig. Did you know that our software's spell checker doesn't like the word 'dihedral'?

PXL_20231216_201420302.jpg.2679cd418cfe92a692c96608ecf073e5.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

8 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

We  are  not  doing Christmas  this  year  so  guess  it takes  this  problem out of  the  equation.

Merry Christmas Brother!

Give or give not unto Man what is Man's, but the birth of God's Son saves us all my friend... It can't be taken out of the equation....

God loves you, so do we....

Quote:

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Did you know that our software's spell checker doesn't like the word 'dihedral'?

Until you educated it.... {chuckle}

Quote:

Chris - I shall follow this with interest. My grandfather flew a Sopwith Pup in the first war. His role was to act as a spotter to guide in artillery fire more accurately. German aircraft, I guess, fufilled the same role in reverse so both sides soldiers in the trenches hated the sight of an aeroplane. Pop's war came to an end when he was shot down by British anti-aircraft fire. Not so freindly friendly fire.

I made a Wingnut Wings model of the Pup a few years ago but the standard to which some modellers were building Wingnut Wings models so far exceeded anything I could hope to do that I gave up - there are one or two (three come readily to mind) whose wooden ships on this site evoke the same feeling but I shall soldier on!

Good luck with the build. it looks fantastic.

All the best

Fred

Upper wing is now completed.

PXL_20231220_165318724.jpg.86b4366b33e986aaafb59b60a5149f67.jpg

I plan to build all of the major sub-assemblies -- wing, empennage, landing gear -- off the model and then add them later. Next up is the empennage. Parts have been cut out -- still need a little prep work.

PXL_20231220_170856608.jpg.f65a9aebb44c463539b7fd7380ab56e9.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris,

As usual, I'm thoroughly enjoying your superb build. However, the lower wing seems to have a small amount of sweepback. Is this intentional?

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV