Nieuport 11c.1 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Kartonowa Kolekcja - 1:33 - CARD

So, not gonna rest on my laurels and will instead roll right on to the next project. I found the Hellcat build a little taxing, so I'm turning again to a publisher with whom I've had good success, Kartonowa Koleckcja. I have chosen the Nieuport 11c.1 Bébé for several reasons:

• It's a biplane. Biplanes are cool.
  • It's French. I have no French planes in the finished pile.
  • It's from the Great War. So far, the five biplanes I have completed are all inter-war designs.
  • It has interesting livery options (more on this later).
  • It has a relatively low parts count -- shouldn't take too long to build.
  • It's small. Unlike the Hellcat, it fits my display options.

Like all KK kits, this 2009 publication is attractively presented. The glossy cover features artwork done by the designer, Pawel Mistewicz.

697257757_bebe01(2).thumb.jpg.86d8623f0bd75ffd1092213b636a34a2.jpg

The parts are also very nicely rendered. The kit provides optional skins for three different aircraft.

bebe02.thumb.jpg.4efb29ab375edb1d807d387fe017f014.jpg

And one of those options is a mount from the Lafayette Escadrille (bottom) -- that sealed the deal.

bebe03.thumb.jpg.c2cddf51570d41c14c2ee0fc46117118.jpg

I also have the laser-cut frames. Look for first cuts soon!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

The American component of the Lafayette Escadrille still exists at Seymour Johnson AFB, flying F-15Es. The 335 Fighter Squadron, the Chiefs, claims descent from the Escadrille.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

following along Chris..........another of your great projects  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The cockpit is now complete -- no major issues so far. I'm sharing more than the usual number of photos for this step, because like most airplane builds, a lot of this won't be readily visible once the fuselage skins are added.

bebe06.thumb.jpg.6a6dffd525f9c23e9281c39fc26c549a.jpg

bebe07.thumb.jpg.44e426bcbce36a60d62217da61cc4c06.jpg

bebe08.thumb.jpg.ea978d6f1cda4c164cec7049a08e17bf.jpg

bebe09.thumb.jpg.f1da271b1d7458fa4ce5d9ea43b2583b.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Excellent work Chris,   that cockpit  looks  so real.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Side and bottom skins done.

bebe10.thumb.jpg.2a5f771c9824927d666c25cc471949d0.jpg

And just for fun, here's a little size comparison. Yes, these are in the same scale. 😆

bebe11.thumb.jpg.11475a35c0a1cb200a4b461ee1102e12.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looking good Chris

Now that you have taken that comparison picture you will need to build an F-86, F-4, F-14/15/ or 16, and F-22, or 35 to show the evolution of fighters and sizes through the wars. :D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

Looking good Chris

Now that you have taken that comparison picture you will need to build an F-86, F-4, F-14/15/ or 16, and F-22, or 35 to show the evolution of fighters and sizes through the wars. :D

Yes, yes, do it! You know you want to🤭😇 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Fuselage work continues. The trick with pieces like these is to get them pre-shaped as best as possible. With parts like the forward half of the upper fuselage skin, I find it works better to tack down one side, let that set, and then tack down the other side. The fine-tip glue dispenser I purchased this spring has proven to be a big help in laying down beads of glue.

bebe12.thumb.jpg.7b4a3b06a92f008a3f5640a15994dd1b.jpg

bebe13.thumb.jpg.c1ca108b0e4636f9d72d26c996019585.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Beautiful build brother... So precise....

What I wouldn't give for those gluing skills... They are so important to building in paper...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Ian_Grant said:

Amazed that that's all the pilot had to sit on - a backless (or nearly so) chair with a lap belt! Not much more evolved than a tractor seat.

Nearly so... just a small one.  Considering when this bird flew there were next to nothing for creature comforts.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Also no parachute, no armor, no self-sealing fuel tank -- basically flying around in a tinder box made of doped fabric and twigs. Anyways, last pic for today -- finished windscreen.

bebe14.thumb.jpg.097133a596060a8cd58d2b0691b17e13.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Where did you get that dispenser, Chris. My working time for wood glues is too short. I have a plastic sheet where I squirt some glue, then dip a wire paperclip to pick up a drop or so of the glue. I use Borden's Wood Glue. If I'm cutting and fitting, that glue will skin over before I get the new parts ready for glue.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Where did you get that dispenser, Chris.

I got it at Hobby Lobby. I have taken to using the Evergreen Canopy Glue almost exclusively for card. One has to work rather quickly with it, but it grabs well, and excess glue can be wiped away with a damp brush.

Fun story: Ironically, most of the skin seams are black. I have no idea why the French used those black edges as they did, but it makes edge coloring easy with a black Sharpie (I have also temporarily 'liberated' some of my wife's collection of Sharpie coloring pens for other edges). For the few edges that do require the very pale buff coloring, I just happened to have a long-unused bottle of cheap acrylic called "antique white" that is virtually a perfect match. So, ultimately, this kit required no custom edge color mixing.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris, thanks for the steer on the glue dispenser.

Nice fix on the Sharpies for edge-coloring. No bleeding?

Ken

23 minutes ago, Canute said:

No bleeding?

No, they bleed. You have to be careful about where and when to use them. With the black edging on this kit, the bleed is not a problem.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

It's hard to see in this photo -- heck, it's hard to see in real life -- but twenty twenty-one parts were added to the fuselage between the last update and this one. Tiny, tiny parts.

bebe15.thumb.jpg.dea7299f537427856f9db28526fa5833.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That looks so realistic, Chris. Since I've started following your builds Ive been amazed at the quality of a build that can be achieved with card. 

A little known factiod. As well as fuel tank size, another limiting factor when flying these planes, was that castor oil was added to the gas for lubricating internal parts, and the exhaust retained a decent portion of this!

Same with my model planes in the 80's oops I meant in the 70's.  They always ended up with an oil mess on the nose and at the wing roots. Don't know what it's like now; I've seen some amazing model plane engines ($$$) at the hobby shop nowadays, 4-strokes with valves...

Edited by Ian_Grant

16 hours ago, thibaultron said:

A little known factiod. As well as fuel tank size, another limiting factor when flying these planes, was that castor oil was added to the gas for lubricating internal parts, and the exhaust retained a decent portion of this!

Towards the end of his life von Richthofen was reportedly severely affected by castor oil such that sometimes he couldn't even make it out to his aircraft.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fascinating side note: In the past year, I have finished eight models -- that's a real tear for me!

On to the top wing! First the sub-structure -- very stout:

bebe17.thumb.jpg.2d48c0a9012249fd96bb6cef6722a312.jpg

And the outer skin:

bebe18.thumb.jpg.e7078c45e5b4a561b930a206ebea6702.jpg

Wound up with one small part left over, but if I don't tell you what it is, you'd probably never figure it out on your own. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Super good looking Chris. My guess is that you ended up with a spare franistan 😀

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company.