Where Do You Keep Your Working Plans

Hello:

I had no real place to keep the plans of the ship I was working on other than on the wall behind the work bench and that presented a lot of problems let alone measuring anything.

Steeling the idea of the PC key board shelf. 

I had a set of 18" full extended drawer guides doing nothing, they fit perfectly under the work bench.(Home Depot)

The shelf is 3/4" mdf.  Surrounded by 1/4" X 1 1/4 pine and that left 1/2" above to keep things from rolling off. It ended up with a working area of 17 1/2" X 47 1/2".  I think this ended up too small, 24" guides or as large as you can get would be better.

In my hast I for got to bring it down for book storage, for the working ship, maybe I'll lower it later.  No front right now that's a trip to the hardware store didn't have anything. I will just levee it wide so the bottom will hang down below the shelf for a grip to pull on.

Hopefully this will work. We will see. Keeps them handy and out of the way.

TJ

post-2088-0-83240800-1384047412_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-18281000-1384047419_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-61894100-1384047425_thumb.jpg

post-2088-0-53430700-1384047431_thumb.jpg

While I like that idea because I have bits and pieces of plans, etc. under my build bench using a similar method, don't you miss having them hanging from the walls?  As inspiration? or... a reminder? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I keep mine hanging on the walls.  But there is usually one that I'm working on constantly and that sits on a 3 X 5 table next to the workbench.  So they move around quite a bit.  I agree with Mark, they are inspirational.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi TJ,

I love this idea! In fact I don't have a lot of wall space, I used it all for my workbench and shelves. I plan on making a host of copies of my plans right a way when my kit gets here this week. I'm definitely going to incorporate this so I have a close quick reference especially while working on the hull and decks.

Great post!

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

The prior owner of my house used the shed for his band, and lined it with Homosote board, foam rubber, and carpeting.  I pulled out the foam and carpet, but the Homosote walls were great for pinning things up on.

Constellation and a smaller Pride plan pinned up on the wall.

post-961-0-58514700-1384101569_thumb.jpg

Pride's full sized sail patterns also got pinned up on the wall.

post-961-0-27389500-1384101218_thumb.jpg

Macedonian on the wall and the bench.

post-961-0-25918200-1384101305_thumb.jpg

Now I've moved and haven't re-set up my shop yet, but I do intend to leave a big wall space to continue this practice.

Edited by JerryTodd

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Hello:

Mark John Bill Thank you I thought it was as I don't have much space either.

I like the wall hangers never thought of that just keep putting pin holes in the wall.

Mark      Inspiration, yes sometimes I need that and I do miss the prints on the wall. Probably put some up.

TJ

post-2088-0-83140000-1384446633_thumb.jpg

Edited by BubbleHead

I'm sitting here thinking.. "why not?  a great idea".  You've workshop, stove, microwave, refrigerator at your fingertips.  Then I stopped and thought what would the Admiral say....    :o  :o  :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Some very good ideas here - I need to do some redesign work in my shop (but probably NOT adding a stove and refrigerator...)

I like the wall hook idea, and that tray is very appealing - unfortunately, I don't have the space to lay out my plans under a sheet of glass - my table is far too small for that!  I need a bigger workshop!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hello:

Learner, Nope gave that up after 25 for other than standard reasons, moved in to this place and love it. The shop still under construction, want to do things that the Admiral wouldn't  let me.

I'm more concerned with stuff getting in the work area, grease and glue don't seem to mix.

I have been toying with putting cork down (in the drawer) to pin the prints  but not sure about this. 

There are a lot of good ideas.

TJ   

Edited by BubbleHead

TJ, those plans look familiar. i have the same up on my wall.  I have a sheet of steel on the wall. Then i use whiteboard magnets to hold up the plans. One good point is that I can put up any other paper bits and pieces - photo copies from a book, sketches, lists etc.

Nick

I have a garage sale drafting table that I use to hold plans near my main modeling bench.  It's easy to move out of the way or closer to the bench.  For small sized plans I use it as shown in the upper right photo.  For larger plans I attach the plan sheet(s) to a piece of foam core illustration board and then Set the foam core onto the small ledge on the bottom of the drafting table and use a spring clamp to hold it in place as shown in the lower.  I can move it closer to the bench as shown in the upper left photo.  By putting the plans on foam core boards I can have multiple sets of plans able to be used as I usually have at least two projects going at a time.

There are also small tables meant for lap top computers that could be adapted in a similar manner using the foam core pieces.

Kurt

PS:The hand on the table is a Halloween hand that will become part of a "Don't touch the models" plaque with a butcher's cleaver and cutting board for our next model show.

post-177-0-05934800-1384965561_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-81694200-1384965607_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-49066100-1384965622_thumb.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I photograph them and put them on my pc.

Along with the instructions and parts lists.

I also keep a plan or two blue tacced to the wall behind the bench for general reference and inspiration

I like this idea for several reasons. Plans are usually quite large and many. Having them on the computer means you can always make copies of close-ups or full size. Scaling becomes a problem, but that can be overcome.

I have been shuffling eight large drawings for more than two years and they show the wear.

Where do I store them? On top of the hood (or bonnet, if you please) of my 300ZX parked next to my workbench. Just have a peek at the first clip of the following video.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

At one of my previous places of work, I used print binders and had a binder extension on my drafting table.  Before the computer, used to do a lot of size D prints with overlays on one table.  About a year ago, I picked up a large drafting table and some binders from a company that was throwing them out.  Please ignore the airplane, this is the only current pic I have of the table.  Under the plane is a print clamp and scale.  The table is great because it is adjustable and I can also attach my drafting machine and scales to it to lift measurements off the print.  The binder allows me to stack multiple prints and keep them in order.

post-3680-0-04105800-1384977647_thumb.jpg

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I have the overview plan in between two pieces of 1/4" plexiglass and one on the wall, the one on the wall do have tiles of cork behind so I can pin them.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Until I recently expanded my shipyard I was working in an 8' x 8' (2.4m x 2.4m) room so I came up with ways to make the most of the space. I made a plans locker that served 4 purposes.

1. A place where I could hang plans vertically so I could just glance over from my bench and see the whole plan.
  2. A photographic background
  3. A light table
  4. A locker where other plans can be stored

post-21-0-44065300-1385085920_thumb.jpg

Section A is a photographic background that stays rolled up and out of the way until I need it. Those 2 diagonal lines are tiny bungee cords that keep it rolled up until I need it.

Section B is where the plans hang. There are 3 steel bands that run across the face and I hang the plans using rare earth magnets.

Section C is a light table that is connected to the bottom of the locker with a piano hinge. It has legs that fold down to support it. The table also doubles as the base for the photographic background. I roll the paper down and it extends to the front of the table.

The front of the locker is hinged along the left side so that the whole front face swings out. Inside is a lot of room for other plans.

post-21-0-55521500-1385085926_thumb.jpg

That orange snake like beast is my vacuum hose. I drape it over the top when I don't need it. When I do need it I just plug it into the PVC pipe outlet just below and to the right of the one end. I hooked a shop vac up outside the shop and installed PVC pipe outside to other outlets around the (now expanded) shop. The vac is wired to switches next to the suction pipes so I can just flick a switch and instant vacuum. My wife hasn't figured out yet that I have a central vac system in the shipyard and she doesn't upstairs in the house ;)

The vac as a grounded copper wire running through the piping to cut down on the fire risk.

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

I like this idea for several reasons. Plans are usually quite large and many. Having them on the computer means you can always make copies of close-ups or full size. Scaling becomes a problem, but that can be overcome.

I have been shuffling eight large drawings for more than two years and they show the wear.

Where do I store them? On top of the hood (or bonnet, if you please) of my 300ZX parked next to my workbench. Just have a peek at the first clip of the following video.

Thank you very much for a fantastic presentation of your workshop, short and consist,

I just need "my perfect" workshop, if it ever will exist.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

All good ideas. Anyone know the best solution for getting plans to stay flat after being rolled or folded.

My Syren plans area really needing some flattening. I don't want to iron them incase I damage them, but if want them nice and flat.

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Modeler12- Thank you for another great video. I watched on you did on tying the blocks for rigging. The quality of your videos is excellent!

JimL- I like your plan solution. It has all kinds of options that could improve the storage and provides good functionality.

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale